Support for LG Ultrafine 5K monitor

Does the framework laptop support LG UltraFine 5K monitor. From what I read on other sites it should then support 5K resolution over USB-C ( (DP 1.4 Alt Mode).

3 Likes

5k monitors (and even 8k monitors) should work fine over the USB-C Expansion Card or DP Expansion Card.

The HDMI Expansion Card is limited to 4k and similar resolutions like 5120 x 1440.

3 Likes

Can anybody confirm that they have it working with an LG Ultrafine 5K monitor?

I’m Batch 2, but I have the LG Ultrafine 5K and will test it once I get it.

1 Like

Thank you! How’d the test turn out?

LG UltraFine 5K uses two DisplayPort 1.2 connections over Thunderbolt 3 for 5K60 mode (allows 10bpc RGB). The Framework Laptop can do Thunderbolt 4 so it should work.

The current version of LG UltraFine 5K (27MD5KL) also supports USB-C (non-Thunderbolt connection). The previous version (27MD5KA) can only work with Thunderbolt.

Thunderbolt connection is required for USB 3.0 speed.

With a USB-C (non-Thunderbolt connection) you can get 4K60 and USB 2.0. You might be able to get 5K39 with a custom timing (it has a ≈600 MHz max pixel clock even though DisplayPort 1.2 should be able to support more). I’ve only seen one person try 5K39.

With a DisplayPort connection (not Thunderbolt or USB-C), you can use a Belkin Charge and Sync cable or Wacom Link Plus or other method to include USB 2.0.

USB is used by the display for USB ports, audio, camera, and brightness control (with Boot Camp driver or you can try a method that communicates with DDI/CI for brightness control). I think you can get the Boot Camp driver even if you don’t have a Mac (see the Brigadier GitHub project).

1 Like

Can anybody confirm that they have the framework laptop working with the LG Ultrafine 5K monitor?