Touchscreen? Or be able to swap in a touchscreen that fits

Just showed off my FW to family who were intrigued but said they prefer keeping the touchscreens. The option would be a popular one.

4 Likes

Very used to touchscreen too, like many other users here noted already. Mostly due to simple scrolling and pinch-to-zoom when this is useful with what I’m looking at. Of course, mostly in content consuming mode, rarely in other cases.

Used Asus and HP (Ellitebook) before, but their Linux support is horrible at best, causing nightmares at worst, thus I’m on the lookout for a replacement. The only reason for going this direction was the availability of a high-end AMD CPU. Now that there is a 7040 on the roadmap (I’ve just got a mail for pre-orders avaialable) it would be really nice if there is such an option somewhere on the roadmap too.

Thanks!

3 Likes

+1 for touchscreen. the main thing that is keeping me from buying a 16" at the moment.

Hey folks. I am wonder what the chances are for a oled touch screen to show up on the framework 13. I would really like oled but I also dont want to twice for the screen. Is this a soon to come upgrade or a 2 - 3 years down the line upgrade?
Thanks!

1 Like

I am unsure about the 16 laptop, but i do know the 13 laptop in the framework github has the display pinout, including data lanes for a touchscreen, i assume it had the ability to use one, just double check whatever touchcreen you choose matches pinout, and id recommend a display that allows returns, so you could try it, and if it dose not work, return it(assuming you don’t damage it)

The Framework-16 does have touchscreen signals present on the display connector.

This panel isn’t a touchscreen, but we have the necessary signals on the connector on the Mainboard to enable one in the future.

A difficulty with the Framework-13 is that while usb and i2c touchscreen signals are available on the motherboard display connector, you’d need a custom cable to break them out. It would have been much easier if they were also broken out to a separate connector. Since all high-resolution 40-pin eDP panels with touchscreens seem to have the touchscreen signals separate.

So basically, on the Framework-13, you can not easily swap in a touchscreen at this time.

1 Like

Any news of if any (13" or 16") laptop is going to get a touch screen? Ideally one that bends right over to give tablet functionality?

Tony Matthews.

There hasn’t been anything that Framework has announced.

1 Like

Just adding my voice. I’ve been keeping tabs since the initial release. I am philosophically aligned and really want to support the company. But I won’t be buying until touch screen is an option. One there is an option I my folks will have one too. For everyone asking here, there are many others thinking the same thing. Please get this on the roadmap.

2 Likes

Yup, adding my voice as well, there are either two or three right after mine :slight_smile: I’ve been patiently waiting for almost a year I can see. And 2700u is still not irrelevant, so I can wait a bit more :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Also adding my voice to this. The way I use my laptop these days is entirely different than a few years ago. I absolutely cannot stomach throwing money at another laptop that doesn’t support touch.

Why?

Hand cramps! When using the laptop on the couch, it hurts my wrist/hands to curl down and use the trackpad. Not having a touchscreen by now is kind of ridiculous frankly.

I own an original, first gen (the USB sticker issue model!) 13, and was seriously considering upgrading to a 16 as I miss having a numpad. Can’t even consider buying another touch-less device though, I can’t even fathom buying a $1000+ laptop that doesn’t support touch input. It just kind of seems ridiculous in this market.

Plus one here too - drawing on screen is essential for my job. It would be great to replace my tablet with a Frawework Laptop

1 Like

Id be happy with a 1920x1280 3:2 touchscreen in the framework 13

I would be happy with literally any resolution panel as long as it is a touchscreen. Love my FW13 but I picked up my ~2016 HP Spectre x360 the other day and despite it being a MUCH older laptop, it felt newer and more high-tech simply because of the panel. I remain confused as to why my kids’ dirt-cheap school chromebooks have touch screens but my ~$2k laptop doesn’t…

1 Like

And another voice agreeing that touchscreen is a requirement for my laptops, especially with other laptops improving their repair options.

I don’t quite understand the issue: the motherboard (if I remember right) has the ability for touchscreen, and there’s touchscreen panels out there… Just the right sort of ribbon cables / connectors / etc need to be done right?
It’s the fact that it’s not exactly a “standardised” interface or something?
… Couldn’t you just go with one specific one and there you go? Maybe try to standardise on something at least?

There are? I though there weren’t any in the right size.

If there is one that physically fits it is pretty much just a case of wiring it up, the display connector on the mainboard has both i2c and usb for touch, usb would be pretty much plug and play, i2c may need customized drivers.

If the panel is physically thicker it may need a custom bezel which would complicate things.

As far as I know it’s just that there aren’t any in the particular screen size it uses. I do kinda wish they went a teeny bit larger with the 13 so we would have more display option. personally I don’t care about touch but for oled panels we have the same issue, either just a little too big or way too small.

Generally that makes sense, although this is an old topic from
July 2021

There are many topics on this and it’s getting difficult to follow

Sept 2021

More recently

Sept 2023

And of course: Search

https://community.frame.work/search?q=touchscreen

1 Like

Wasn’t the first, won’t be that last.

I personally don’t care about touch but evidently a whole lot of people do.

I was a little disappointed to begin with but the Framework is such a great idea that I can wait a decade or so or go without. Anyway the original 3.3Kg hinges would not go well with tapping the screen :rofl:

I like the idea of touchscreens, but then I remembered that I rarely touched the screen on my Surface Go when the keyboard was attached. The only time I used a touchscreen regularly was when I had a large all-in-one desktop where I would instinctively touch the screen to clear pop-ups.

I’d get one just for the sake of upgrading things.