Touchscreen? Or be able to swap in a touchscreen that fits

As a hardware engineer, I assume they’d have 2 SKUs, the non-touch and touch-screen versions of the top. Possibly with some clever mech engineering they’d be swappable.

But I’d really love to see a base SKU for the touchscreen. (please!).

Unrelated, but I’d love to see a frame.work “mini” which is basically just a shell to hold the motherboard. It doesn’t need much fancy stuff it would essentially be a “USB-C” mini PC so you’d have to have adapters or they could add use the same port system as the laptops. But then as motherboards age out and I upgrade the laptop, I could take the old MBs and make them small servers / dev machines.

2 Likes

By the way just a note! The connector does support it! I remember a staff member explicitly said it before!

Okay… Too large, too large, too crappy, too large - Framework has REALLY thin bezels… Any screen I have here is too large to fit into the case. So the alternative would be to to have a screen without backplate or some improvised backplate not matching with the laptop size. So I can say my attempt has failed. Waiting for Framework now to add a supported touch screen to the marketplace :grimacing:

I’m curious if any current framework DIYers have a working touchscreen solution? I as many others in this thread have mentioned that this is the one thing setting us back from purchasing. I don’t really care who it comes from (DIY, or directly from framework), as long as it works I would actually buy the laptop and get it done.

Finding a touchscreen for this machine is still going to be pretty hard, but it just got significantly easier: FW released pinouts for their display connector:

Display Interface

IPEX 20879-040E connector used to interface to an eDP display. Note that there are signals defined for both USB 2.0 and I2C touchscreens. There is a PWM interface to control backlight brightness, but the display currently used on the Framework Laptop converts that to a DC LED control.

Pin Signal Description
1 BL_POWER 12-17V backlight power
2 BL_POWER
3 BL_POWER
4 NC
5 GND
6 AUXP
7 AUXN
8 GND
9 EDP_TXP_0
10 EDP_TXN_0
11 GND
12 EDP_TXP_1
13 EDP_TXN_1
14 GND
15 EDP_TXP_2
16 EDP_TXN_3
17 GND
18 EDP_TXP_3
19 EDP_TXN_4
20 GND
21 EDP_HPD hotplug
22 BLK_PWM_LCD Backlight PWM
23 BLK_OFF_N Backlight Enable
24 NC
25 NC
26 3V_EDP 3VS
27 3V_EDP
28 3V_EDP
29 3V_TS 3VS for touchscreen
30 3V_TS
31 USB_DP USB
32 USB_DN
33 TS_EN
34 TS_RST
35 TS_INT_N
36 TS_SDA
37 TS_SCL
38 NC
39 GND
40 GND
6 Likes

I would absolutely love to pre order a touchscreen display to swap out for my non-touch display.

something else I’d love to have is the option for a keyboard to be at the bottom and the pad to be at the top. my wrists hurt after typing on the laptop for too long. I may have to make DiY guide if I can get one set up.

Did some more research on this because frankly I’m just curious if it could be done.
The Acer Swift 3 SF313’s touch panel seems to be a very good candidate for replacement, although it uses a ZIF connector instead of a right angle snap connector like the Framework. If someone finds a cable and a pinout to confirm I won’t fry my motherboard by plugging the new panel in, I’ll buy the Swift screen and do some tests.

4 Likes

I’m delighted to see that Framework is still going strong more than a year in. I love my 11th-gen Framework (best laptop I’ve ever owned by a longshot), and it’s cool to see some interesting upgrade options pop up on the marketplace. In particular, the more rigid top panel and 4.0 kg hinges.

That all being said, a massive portion of the laptop market is only interested in laptops with touchscreens. Whether it be for casual creative applications, note taking, or just general comfort with touchscreen mobile devices, lots of people want this. As an instructor, I would personally love to be able to annotate assignments on my main device as opposed to a separate touchscreen device like a tablet. (I’m currently using an ancient touchscreen chromebook as a tablet)

Of course this should be optional, I see a lot of people getting huffy about touchscreens because they don’t want other people’s fingers on their screen. Cool. But it should absolutely be an option when customizing a new laptop and on the marketplace.

I know this is not a new discussion, but we’ve known for a year now that this isn’t on Framework’s roadmap and I just don’t understand why. Yes, sourcing a 4K 3:2 touchscreen panel is probably difficult. But Framework is a much more mature company than it was a year ago, and there’s probably a manufacturer out there that would do it. It can be expensive, the current panel is already $200 so I know it wouldn’t be cheap. But we would at least have an option.

8 Likes

Yes, I had to go with a HP ProBook that is very repairable also because FW lacks a Touchscreen option. Don’t be a bad APPLE and not give us that option when so many things are touch enabled.

2 Likes

Just showed off my FW to family who were intrigued but said they prefer keeping the touchscreens. The option would be a popular one.

4 Likes

Very used to touchscreen too, like many other users here noted already. Mostly due to simple scrolling and pinch-to-zoom when this is useful with what I’m looking at. Of course, mostly in content consuming mode, rarely in other cases.

Used Asus and HP (Ellitebook) before, but their Linux support is horrible at best, causing nightmares at worst, thus I’m on the lookout for a replacement. The only reason for going this direction was the availability of a high-end AMD CPU. Now that there is a 7040 on the roadmap (I’ve just got a mail for pre-orders avaialable) it would be really nice if there is such an option somewhere on the roadmap too.

Thanks!

3 Likes

+1 for touchscreen. the main thing that is keeping me from buying a 16" at the moment.

Hey folks. I am wonder what the chances are for a oled touch screen to show up on the framework 13. I would really like oled but I also dont want to twice for the screen. Is this a soon to come upgrade or a 2 - 3 years down the line upgrade?
Thanks!

1 Like

I am unsure about the 16 laptop, but i do know the 13 laptop in the framework github has the display pinout, including data lanes for a touchscreen, i assume it had the ability to use one, just double check whatever touchcreen you choose matches pinout, and id recommend a display that allows returns, so you could try it, and if it dose not work, return it(assuming you don’t damage it)

The Framework-16 does have touchscreen signals present on the display connector.

This panel isn’t a touchscreen, but we have the necessary signals on the connector on the Mainboard to enable one in the future.

A difficulty with the Framework-13 is that while usb and i2c touchscreen signals are available on the motherboard display connector, you’d need a custom cable to break them out. It would have been much easier if they were also broken out to a separate connector. Since all high-resolution 40-pin eDP panels with touchscreens seem to have the touchscreen signals separate.

So basically, on the Framework-13, you can not easily swap in a touchscreen at this time.

1 Like

Any news of if any (13" or 16") laptop is going to get a touch screen? Ideally one that bends right over to give tablet functionality?

Tony Matthews.

There hasn’t been anything that Framework has announced.

1 Like

Just adding my voice. I’ve been keeping tabs since the initial release. I am philosophically aligned and really want to support the company. But I won’t be buying until touch screen is an option. One there is an option I my folks will have one too. For everyone asking here, there are many others thinking the same thing. Please get this on the roadmap.

2 Likes

Yup, adding my voice as well, there are either two or three right after mine :slight_smile: I’ve been patiently waiting for almost a year I can see. And 2700u is still not irrelevant, so I can wait a bit more :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Also adding my voice to this. The way I use my laptop these days is entirely different than a few years ago. I absolutely cannot stomach throwing money at another laptop that doesn’t support touch.

Why?

Hand cramps! When using the laptop on the couch, it hurts my wrist/hands to curl down and use the trackpad. Not having a touchscreen by now is kind of ridiculous frankly.

I own an original, first gen (the USB sticker issue model!) 13, and was seriously considering upgrading to a 16 as I miss having a numpad. Can’t even consider buying another touch-less device though, I can’t even fathom buying a $1000+ laptop that doesn’t support touch input. It just kind of seems ridiculous in this market.