Ubuntu 23.04 Installation on the Framework Laptop 13

Ubuntu 23.04 is available. The announcement is here . I created this thread to be used for the Ubuntu 23.04 main thread. You can download Ubuntu 23.04 here .

Installation Guide: Ubuntu 23.04 Installation on the Framework Laptop 13 - Framework Guides

As with any brand new release, we recommend holding off for a few weeks in using this as a daily driver so their team can iron out the bugs - be sure to run all updates before using (apt and snap).

10 Likes

Installed via update on 22.10 a week ago on an expansion card, all seems fine but not my daily driver.

1 Like

This with a KDE desktop is my daily driver. All working flawlessly so far, no issues at all.

3 Likes

Not using Ubuntu but I hope people will have less issues with their laptops after upgrading to 23.04.

Also happy about the new release, because that means drivers, firmware and software releases will be closer to my rolling release distro, so I can probably help better.

3 Likes

Been running 23.04 for a couple days. No issues so far!

2 Likes

No issues so far on my Intel 11th gen Framework 13

2 Likes

upgraded to it day one, cuz you know, cuz. Been working great! :grinning:

What issues are you referencing? I am running 22.04 on a 12th gen 13 and have no issues, and all functionality is supported.

1 Like

I’m talking about the PSR issues, network drops and alike. There are a ton of issues, though most of it is “easily fixable” and/or has workarounds.

1 Like

Interesting, yeah, I have a had a fully functional 12th gen for so long, that I kind of forgot what all I did to get there, and what the problems were. Glad to hear that 23.04 seems to correct all of that automatically.

Lunar Lobster is not so good here on my 1st gen Framework. I read the enthusiastic reviews for Ubuntu 23.04 and upgraded from 22.04.3 to this new version – which is now virtually unusable.

It’s taken no more than just two issues to bring this about.

1. Using X11, I can no longer drag and drop while using the app switcher. The work-around is to log in using Wayland.

2. But with Wayland, many of the context menus no longer seem to work. For example, renaming a Vivaldi workspace requires finding it in the New Workspace pull-down and then using the context menu on the relevant entry. I can’t get a context menu here! (Switching Vivaldi to enable Wayland support does produce a context menu in this circumstance – but special fingerwork is needed: two-finger tap, nothing happens, then a one-finger drag.*)

The “upgrade” from Jammy Jellyfish to Lunar Lobster was admirably smooth and fast. Sadly, there’s no equivalent downgrade path.

Nevertheless, that’s the path I’m going to have to take.

*THE FOLLOWING DAY
The two-finger tap followed by the single finger drag (which, it seems, must be eastwards) does also appear to work with the Auto setting for Vivaldi’s X11/Wayland sensitivity (vivaldi://flags Preferred Ozone Platform). Perhaps this legerdemain, rather than a downgrade reinstall, is something I should learn pending a fix from the Ubuntu devs. It would be good to hear advice from others here.

–
Chris

Further testing confirms this awkward behaviour of (some) context menus using Wayland with Lunar Lobster. While calling up a context menu from Firefox’s search bar behaves as you would expect, the same a two-finger click with Vivaldi simply highlights the URL with no sign of the context menu. To get this you then need to select the highlight with a single finger and slide slightly to the right. If the context menu still doesn’t appear, slight the finger back slightly to the left. I suspect Chrome (on which Vivaldi is based) may behave the same way, but I haven’t tested this.

Yes, this is a mess. It would help greatly to have some confirmation about this behaviour, which we could then take to the relevant devs.

–
Chris

Mostly a smooth upgrade on my 11th Gen board, except for HDMI displays. Whether I’m connected through a dock or through the HDMI card, the display runs for a little while, and then freezes until I trigger some sort of mode setting event (switching to the console and back, rearranging the display layout from the Displays control panel, etc).

I wonder if it’s related to the DRM mess (upstream bug, downstream Ubuntu bug)? I’m still getting the usual kernel warnings :

[  206.589841] adding CRTC not allowed without modesets: requested 0x2, affected 0x3
[  206.589876] WARNING: CPU: 1 PID: 1595 at drivers/gpu/drm/drm_atomic.c:1406 drm_atomic_check_only+0x3c5/0x400 [drm]

There seems to be some tedious philosophical finger-pointing going on among different teams regarding the proper design and implementation, which I’m sure is actually rather important if you can grasp what’s going on. For us lowly users, though, the problem can be fixed by setting an environment variable. Create a new file like /etc/environment/50mutter_drm.conf, and put this in it :

MUTTER_DEBUG_FORCE_KMS_MODE=simple

Reboot. Kernel warnings go away, displays work normally. To the developers working on this, we appreciate you, but please come to a consensus soon. You’re all beautiful people. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Just a reminder. While it works in our testing, it’s still young and non-LTS. :wink:

Firefox woes - Firefox's Black Screen Bug in Ubuntu 23.04 Gets Squashed - OMG! Ubuntu

This gels with @Russell_Neches’ post as well.

I was able to test the statement of:

On some systems, when you open the Firefox snap right after having logged in into an Ubuntu on Wayland session, you are met by a black window. This happens because the FF snap is run under Xwayland, and Xwayland may not be enabled early enough to handle the start of the application properly.

Open Firefox to black screen. Right click on Firefox again, new window, works.

2 Likes

Random question for Ubuntu users in this thread, as I’ve mainly been booting Fedora on mine. Does Ubuntu 23.04 boot into a Wayland session by default?

Yes. However you can choose Xorg at login from the gear icon.

1 Like

I had to set the Bluetooth ControllerMode to bredr to connect to my airpods on my gen 13. But another headset connected fine with the default

Correct, due to the nature of the airpods, you must use bredr mode.

1 Like