Ubuntu 24.04 on the Framework Laptop 16

Installation

The installation guide is available here: Ubuntu 24.04 LTS Installation on the Framework Laptop 16 - Framework Guides

Optimizing Ubuntu Battery Life

Intel users may want to begin testing against TuneD. AMD, do not use TuneD or TLP - stick with PPD as it comes by default.

5 Likes

We’ve had folks doing so without trouble. However, as always…always, always, always have a backup of your important data.

• Disable PPAs (likely not needed, but a good practice.)
  • Always make sure you’re fully update BEFORE upgrading.

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y && snap refresh

• And as always, upgrades can fail. Generally rare, but this is why we backup - just in case a fresh install is needed.

Has anyone noticed any issues with the touchpad on Ubuntu 24.04? The touchpad on the Framework 16 laptop rarely works for me. Only sometimes does a boot show a configured, working touchpad in the settings. I haven’t seen these issues on Fedora 40 though.

The fact that this hasn’t happened in Fedora 40 is interesting. If this is easy to reproduce, try the following:

• Attach a mouse. Boot up, open one terminal window.
  • sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y && snap refresh && reboot
  • Still happening? Keep going. Boot up again, open two separate terminal windows.
  • In one, journalctl -f and in the other sudo dmesg -w
  • Do you see anything regarding the touchpad being spammed (anything you can copy and paste into a text file using your mouse)? No? Undo the locks on the left and right side of the FW16, while booted, detach the touchpad - reinsert, lock again. Did this help? If yes, this may be a power management issue with the touchpad with your configuration.
  • Confirming no changes or tweaks were made to power management (No TLP, etc)

FYI, Ubuntu hasn’t made the official 22-24 upgrade available yet. So I tried the upgrade from from 22 → 23 which seemed to work but 23 → 24 failed, so I just reinstalled 24. No big deal. I didn’t do a lot of analysis, but my random guess would be the proprietary AMD GPU drivers I installed. Important safety tip. So far 24 works just fine for me, graphic, sound, touchpad, etc. all work as expected.

(post deleted by author)