USB-C/Thunderbolt Dock Megathread

It’s your post and your decision, please DM me if you need any help for splitting and what kind of changes you need and I’m ready to help :wink:

1 Like

I wonder if the Framewiki would be a good spot?

I have just gotten a Caldigit TS4 as according to the table here it should be compatible. I assume this was with the FW13 in mind, which is why I am having issues with the FW16 (7940HS). The dock worked perfectly as I plugged it in initially, but I have gotten an odd issue with ethernet not being detected and the dock not being listed under “Bluetooth & devices > USB > USB4 Hub and Devices” in Windows 11 settings app. I am going to talk about Windows here, but the same issue occurs on Linux (Manjaro), so I assume it is a general issue with the FW16 and PCIe tunneling, since the ethernet IC in the dock uses PCIe.

When the laptop is turned off while still plugged in and then turned back on a minute or so later, the DisplayPort and USB ports work perfectly. The issue is that the Intel I225 adapter does not show up in device manager, nor does the dock show up under “USB4 Host Router” devices in “USB4 Hub and Devices” Settings. To make it show up, I have to unplug the USB-C cable and plug it back every single time this happens. It seems like somehow the dock isn’t being recognized as an actual USB4 device until it is replugged later and that is what causes the ethernet adapter to not be detected.

I have already informed Caldigit support about this, but I am most likely going to have to return the dock back to the seller since I doubt there is enough time to get this issue fixed (if they do as it might also be an issue with USB4). Just wanted to inform anyone that plans to use this dock with their FW16.

New Beta Bios for FW16 released, should hit stable in about a week. No mention or callout of any USB changes or improvements. Im having less than perfect experienced dock as well.

Yup, I was hoping this might fix it, but sadly nothing in the changelog and after updating myself. There is something about device compatibility under known issues that haven’t been resolved yet, but I am unsure if that is related to USB4 or something else, so I am not going to gamble and rather return the dock and try something like the Surface Thunderbolt 4 dock. I only really want 2.5GbE and monitor output without an MST chip inbetween to get FreeSync support, which one of the 3 thunderbolt ports on the Surface dock should give me. The bonus on the Caldigit dock is that I already had a DisplayPort output, so I will need a USB-C to DP cable now.

1 Like

The only issue I have with my TS4 and FW16 (7840HS) is the monitor issue (2 external monitors, 1 fine, the other only detected as a unknown monitor so stuck at 640x480) in Fedora and Ubuntu.

No issues in Windows 11.

Huh, so you have no issue with the Ethernet? Could you maybe just try to do the same steps that I did and come back with the results. Keep the laptop plugged into the dock while doing this.

Turn the laptop off, wait a minute or two to make sure that both the laptop and dock are fully off, then start the laptop and boot into whatever OS. For me, on both Windows 11 and Manjaro, the Ethernet adapter is not shown at all in settings until I unplug and plug the USB-C cable back in. I might just try another cable when I wake up tomorrow but I would like to see if it really is an issue just on my end.

I would but I don’t have Ethernet run to my workstation anymore. I pulled a long wire to do some testing months ago but I no longer have that cable.

If I do, I’ll text it out. This is in Windows 11, Fedora, or Ubuntu?

I do remember seeing the 2.5 Gbit device in device manager and in network interfaces.

Great, if you manage to get a way to test it, that would be great. This is in Windows 11, so the Ethernet adapter does not show up in device manager, nor does the dock show up in the Settings app under “USB4 Docks and Devices”. Only after replugging do both start to show up. I did not do enough testing on Linux, but on my Manjaro (Gnome) install, the “Wired” connection does not show up in settings until I also replug like I have to for Windows.

Wow, okay… so I can corraborate your experience. Exact same thing - ethernet interface is missing in both Win 11 and Fedora when I leave the dock plugged in and do a cold boot. Comes back if I unplug/replug while OS is up and running.

Same for the 2nd external monitor (the one that is detected as “unknown”). So it’s not just the Ethernet that doesn’t get detected on boot. It’s the 2nd “unknown” monitor to (on both Win 11 and Fedora). After cycling the plug, both the Ethernet and monitor shows up.

The montior still has that “unknown” issue in Fedora so I can’t change the resolution from 640x480. In Windows, cycling the plug makes the monitor come up and show up fine (1080P at 75 Hz).

My main ext monitor is always fine no matter what (2K @ 165 Hz). I also use my built-in display so I get a total of 3 monitors (except in Fedora, because the 2nd ext monitor isn’t really usable so i just disable it Settings).

The monitor issue seems like a software issue since it works fine in Windows, but not Fedora. The NIC and monitor being missing on cold boot may be a issue with CalDigit since it affects both OSes.

1 Like

I do wonder if this is an issue with USB4/TB4 docks in general on the FW16 and not just CalDigit. Maybe someone with an eGPU dock or similar that uses actual USB4 could give it a test, like in your case an extra display from one of the USB4 ports on the TS4. USB and DP ports work fine even when its not detected as a USB4 hub because I assume those use regular USB and DP-Alt Mode.

I just tested it with another USB-C cable like I said yesterday. I have one from a Plugable dock and surprisingly after trying 3 times, the dock always got recognized correctly and ethernet works on boot. I’ll keep using this cable and do more tests, but it might be an issue with the cable that comes with the CalDigit for some reason.

It is more likely bugs / complications with AMD’s USB4 implementation. The BIOS should be able to manage USB4 connections, so that it can boot from USB3 and PCIe devices behind USB4/TB3. And the OS has to take them over at some point. If you reconnect the dock, you do it when the OS is in full control and manages all parts of the connection.

I think this would be best compared to a Intel equivalent host certified for TB4. It would fit with AMD having other bugs with the USB4 implementation still. Not surprising, given how complicated it is and how new AMD is to the game.

For the displays connected to the TS4, how are you connecting them?

See my post with multiple screens with a TS4 and Fedora. USB-C/Thunderbolt Dock Megathread - #441 by Ivar_Abrahamsen

With passive HDMI adapters, one of my screens was stuck in 640x480 and as unknown. With active HDMI adapters it worked better, and then switching to DP for both worked best.

A worthy addition:

I use the CalDigit USB-C to DP adapter.

This:
https://www.amazon.com/CalDigit-DisplayPort-Adapter-Refresh-Eyefinity/dp/B08QSM1MRL

I didn’t want to mess around so bought the official CalDigit adapter to go with my TS4.

I own a Sonnettech Echo 20 Thunderbolt 4 SuperDock and use it with my FW16 for over half a year now.

It works without drivers, but I found some weird things. First of all, I use it mainly under Linux Mint (currently 21.3), but it also works under Windows 11.

1. The HDMI-Port is something that isn’t working for me under Linux. However, I use a USB-C to DisplayPort Adapter to my Eizo Monitors. The bigger one (27" 2560x1440) daisy chains to the other one (24" 1920x1200) without any problems, so I don’t need two display outputs on the Dock.
  2. The Docking station looses it’s USB connections (like mouse, keyboard and audio, not the DisplayPort signal though) quite often when connected to the left USB 4 Port (Nr. 1 on the Expansion Card Slot functionality drawing from FW), however works perfect on the right USB 4 slot (Nr. 4 in the drawing).
  3. Sometimes, the Laptop won’t start charging after plugging it to the dock. In this case, a simple replug is needed and it will draw around 96W.

So, besides all the weirdness: It is a great dock with all the ports I need. The Price is very high, but it was the only dock available in Germany at the time of buying with all I need (especially 10G USB ports for my USB to SATA adapters and 80W+ Charging). I recently even tested the m.2 slot and it works fine, even though it’s maximum throughput is limited to around 840 MB/s.

I use it to turn my old desktop PC into a big dock with a bunch of HDDs, an optical drive and some front USB-Ports. The only thing I couldn’t get to work is the Power Button LED of the case. It probably died because of a wrong wiring during installation… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve noticed issues rebooting windows if dock (Lenovo Universal TB4) is connected and lid closed. Seems rebooting is robust only with lid open and dock removed. Anyone else?

Hi all, hoping I can get some help on a small issue I have.

I have the Framework 13 with i7-1280P processor, and a Dell WD16TB docking station.

The experience of using it is almost completely flawless. The only relatively minor issue I run into is that the USB ports do not function if I plug the dock in while the computer is at the lock screen.

As soon as I login to the device, going forward the USB ports function fine including if the the device returns to the lock screen (while still plugged in). At worst this is a minor inconvenience as I have to use the internal keyboard to sign in, but I usually have it closed when using a dock.

I figured it was worth asking about in case anyone else had run into the same issue.

I have updated the framework to the 3.08 bios, as well as updated the docking station to the latest firmware as of January of this year.

Which OS? Any log messages? Does a USB keyboard work if you plug directly in this scenario instead of via the dock? My first thought is that this sounds like a software security lockout to prevent evil maid attack if it happens only when the device is locked.