USB-PD 15V mode issue

Got my laptop recently and it took me a couple days (and a few cables) to realize the charger I was using was the issue. It’s output specifications are

USB PD Output: 5V=3A/9V=3A,15V=2A/20V=1.5A

I don’t have a lot of knowledge of how the negotiations work but is there a reason that the laptop isn’t opting for the 20V?

This charger was only supposed to be a temporary measure until my dedicated charger arrived but the dedicated charger has the specifications:

DC 5V/3A, 9V/3A, 12V/3A, 15V/3A, 20V/3.25A

so I’m worried that might also be fall into the same trap.

Currently, I’m just using a 15W charger. :woman_shrugging:t5:

2 Likes

@fishghost How are you determining what voltage the laptop is negotiating with the charger? Because based on those specs, it should never try to negotiate the 15 V mode.

1 Like

Hey @Sean_Greenslade, thanks for checking. It’s just an assumption on my part based on what’s been discussed above and your research with the dev board.

All I know for certain is that the laptop isn’t charging from an Anker device that offers 15V and 20V. But does charge from a smaller charger that offers 5V/9V.

EDIT: Totally could have made incorrect assumptions about the charging device as well.

1 Like

Thankfully the new charger seems to be working fine. Though, it’s little power indicator tells me it’s charging the laptop at 70+W at times so I’m not sure what that’s about either since it’s supposed to max out at 65W.

2 Likes

This was doing both at the same time. So I guess that makes sense. I just didn’t think the brick was capable of outputting that much power.

2 Likes

Is this 15V charging problem likely to be addressed by a BIOS change or a warranty replacement of the motherboard? I suspect I have the same problem because my dock which delivers 85W power to a Macbook only delivers a tiny amount of power to my Framework.

2 Likes

@Wade_Richards if your dock supports 85W it will use 20V, so 15V charging issue would not be causing your issues.

2 Likes

Do we know which part is the bad FET?

My framework has the B04N03R on it.

3 Likes

actually found the datasheet (huh)

Seems like the input capacitance (not gate capacitance) is 2094pF which seems somewhat high. Turn on/off delays are also longer.

I guess you don’t really have a choice when the good stuff just isn’t available.

You probably simply need to find good parts with lower capacitance(s) so they won’t have switching problems when the input voltage is around 15V.

Yeah the AON6354 (datasheet) have input capacitance of only 1330pF. Typical, I guess, but the max value shouldn’t be too high either.

I guess you can get them from really anywhere, as long as they meet the specifications.

(browsing Ti.com for 30 minute in search of parts)
I don’t work for Ti. We just have a lot of their stuff floating around. They just look more posh than other stuff, even though the other stuff is still great.

They all look the same, but you only need to add a sprinkle of, say, boron atoms to change the behavior of the (really, transistors) MOSFETs.
These look quite good

1 Like

Bios update 3.09 mentions completely disabling 15V charging in thr changelog, see BIOS 3.09 Beta release

I have not tried it yet to see if this can still be optionally enabled for boards that have the right transistor, but the changelog wording suggests not.

Bios update 3.09 mentions completely disabling 15V charging in thr changelog, see BIOS 3.09 Beta release

Yeah, that saddened me a little bit. After all the hassle of installing the new mosfet I might have to switch to a custom EC image to reenable it now.

optionally enabled for boards that have the right transistor

I doubt there’s a non-hacky way to easily detect what transistor a board has.

1 Like

I added a control register to the PD firmware to enable/disable 15v charging that you could control via EC . I will write up some instructions but since there is only one person who did the rework we don’t plan on officially supporting this.

6 Likes

I just wanted to thank you for following through on this, @Kieran_Levin . I really appreciate it. With the new BIOS / EC firmware, I can indeed use my 18 W power bank to its full capability:

1 Like

Did I just saw you charging and switched on the laptop, on towels, for a photo op? #Cooling

Sure. The computer was at idle, so most of the power was going into the battery. Also, I have a heavy power cap applied to the CPU. Most of the time, the fan is either off or spinning at very low speed. Plus, in my experience, the cooling fan is able to get enough intake air through the second hinge vent to tolerate having the bottom vent blocked.

That sounds reasonable, is this going to be a problem on the 12th gen too or does that use the right/different parts that won’t need rework?

1 Like

As to the rework, I personally know several folks who did it here at my office, with the AOS FETs. I also sent a few FETs to colleagues at another office who did a couple. I think the total number was around 4-5 people.

2 Likes

Are these instructions available anywhere? I also plan on doing the rework.

Are those alternate FETs also present on 12th-gen, or is it only a problem regarding 11th-gen FrameWork laptops?

Isn’t this also relevant for people who got a board with the original correct FET, not just those who reworked their board? Or can the BIOS already detect this and keep 15V charging enabled automatically on these boards (the BIOS changelog implies that 14-16V charging is disabled unconditionally).

1 Like