Viability of an ML 1220 rechargable battery for RTC | CMOS (11th gen)

Yes you are correct about the 12th gen board in that it doesn’t have a bug in the Intel chip that requires ‘rebooting’ and a redesign charges the ML1220 from the main battery.

I have amended the title to indicate this is an 11Gen product issue

You options are are, suck it up or sell it (the laptop or the board) and move on.

What’s all that about? Who are you being rude to?

1 Like

No one. They are the options for the 11th Gen battery issue. You live with it or sell.

There wont be a fix so…

OK but why say such if it’s not directed at someone. Sure people can be whingers and it’s not easy to deal with such a problem, but the forum isn’t about the Framwork laptop it’s about people who subscribe for whatever reason.

People, you and I included, are looking for attention, maybe genuinly by trying to help people who are curious or a bit stressed and there will be more and more of those people as more and more are born and are unhappy with what they have immersed themselves in.

Being rude to people only implies you are asking for help in having to deal with whingers ~ I empathise and sometimes want to give it up.

But I’m happy with my i7-1165G7 and just feel I can try and comfort those that are not so happy. It’s a pain but that’s the cost. Don’t tell me you thought being on this forum was allways going to be fair weather sailing. :rofl:

:hear_no_evil: :see_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:

:om:

1 Like

After umpteen pages I’m just simply distilling down the reality of the situation. Doesn’t have to be directed at anyone.

There wont be a fix, you live with it or move on. Simple as that.

I’m living with it. Others can too.

The thread can be closed really.

1 Like

But then new commers to the cause may want to add their

But it is. It’s directed at anyone who reads this topic. Closing it may stop more comments but it won’t benefit anyone, after all none of us have to read it.

But like I said there is likely to be others that get upset, the 11gen is still on sale, so it’s comforting for them to be able to add to the tale.

And there may even be a fix :scream:

But I get it, you are not happy with the thread’s continuence so I will not reply to your concerns, you have made it pretty clear :slight_smile:

All the best

As the song goes “Don’t stop beleeeevin’…”

I’ll leave it there.

1 Like

To mitigate this issue, I decided to solder on a larger 65mAh ML2032 battery to replace the original 17mAh ML1220.

I’m happy to report that all is working well so far and the larger battery can sustain the mainboard RTC and BIOS settings in between the weeks when I don’t use the machine.

Link to more details: Review, usage and repair of the Framework laptop - YKM's Corner on the Web

7 Likes

…and you only have Intel UHD graphics…and not Iris Xe? (single channel RAM)

Physically similar to my idea of having a small DC to DC converter that connects the main battery to the ML1220 permanently.

Worthy tradeoff for my use case :slight_smile:

It’s actually a real good idea. For my use case though, it’s in my 3D-printed enclosure so this wouldn’t work for me.

1 Like

The remote battery hack is a great idea – almost something that Framework could / should provide for those whose use case makes this a serious problem!

1 Like

Yes I am in the process of speaking to them about it :slight_smile: but I’m in no hurry. I wrote an email months ago but have been waiting on other users experience before I load Frameowrk with more ideas

I’m pretty disappointed in this. I convinced my (now) wife to get one of these for her work use, which is only occasional, and I’ve had to do the reset 3 times. The procedure is a little more complicated than she’s comfortable with.
If there is no actual fix for this, I am reconsidering buying one for myself. This is really unacceptable. I know Framework is a new company, but asking that that computers be able to turn on is not really setting the bar very high.
I liked the idea of repairability, but if this can’t be repaired, where are we exactly? Will the RTC battery get worse and worse, requiring more frequent resets?

The workaround that I’ve been able to fit into my day-to-day flow is to have a habit of docking / plugging it in once a week, and have a schedule timer to turn on (and off) the USB-PD at scheduled time.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Of course you can buy a 12gen issue which doesn’t have this issue or as mentioned just plug to charge it now and then ~ maybe for a good six hours every six days.

A full battery should last the best part of three weeks, so if you intend to leave it for that long, don’t, and give it a full days charge at least every two weeks.

The the above charging doesn’t work then you may have a poor battery or poorly conected battery.

You don’t say a) how long you have it plugged in and charging nor b) how long since such a charge.

amoun:

These are not really useful suggestions. Suggesting to buy another $1700 laptop to resolve the problem is not going to happen.

And saying “If you intend to leave it for three weeks, don’t” is also not useful. Normal laptops can be left alone for a month and turned on without taking them apart. I need solutions, not obvious but not helpful suggestions.

1 Like

@murph, while you may not like them, and I am not suggesting that you need to, those are your options if the device is used infrequently. You can upgrade the main board, or plug the laptop in for a day every couple of weeks. You can set a charge limit on the battery to avoid undue wear on it by keeping it plugged in. Best of luck with things.

3 Likes