Viability of an ML 1220 rechargable battery for RTC | CMOS (11th gen)

Reading your post, I believe I had a similar issue, I just posted about it also. But one thing I did do is remove the CMOS battery for about 10 seconds (inspecting the battery) and put it back in and reconnected to power adapter and it started working again. I did not have the battery charge light not come on in my situation but after doing this my Framework laptop booted.

Odd

Not odd as in unusual but odd in as unexpected and unpleasant

If you remove the RTC battery it recovers enough voltage to initiate the power procedure, so unwanted but not not add as this topic can confirm.

Seems to be a lot of incidences of this issue suddenly popping up recently, as if it affected a particular batch or the general charge on the RTC battery has finally drained for those of us who donā€™t keep the laptop plugged in most of the time (it is meant to be a portable device after all).

While I appreciate the transparency and communication from Framework in this thread it sounds like the situation is essentially unfixable and is almost destined to occur for 12th Gen Intel boards as well since theyā€™ve insisted on using the same rechargable battery type. Iā€™m afraid I really donā€™t see sense in this decision (think of the waste caused by those having to reset the mainboard and then accidentally breaking the clip, as opposed to just recycling a coin battery everyā€¦ decade or so?), unless there is indeed a particular hardware problem with those of us suffering this issue.

2 Likes

This may not be the main issue.
A common non-rechargeable CR 2032 has only 13 times more capacity than the rechargeable ML1220 and given everyhting else was similar to my old Dell the current battery would last some 3 months not 3 weeks.

So there is a drain on the battery which is a problem and may not be fixable. But it would be nice to know exactly what it is in this lightweight laptop that deleptes the battery maybe 4, 5, 6 times quicker than anything Iā€™ve experienced.

The issue is compounded by not just the clock being out of date, as is the case with my 30 year old Dell but that for, yet again, an unknow reason the computer will not even poer up when plugged in when the RTC reaches a specific low level.

This later part may be mitigated in the gen 12 such that it is not required to remove the RTC to get some recovery.

The current RTC battery is rechargeable?

You would have thought that the RTC battery will only be used when the main battery is completely and utterly dead (e.g. below 11.1V, for a 3 cell)

Iā€™m not against rechargeables but I think if your laptop battery have charge at the end of the three week gap, then uh-uhh. Something needs to be done.
If the battery is dead by the time you try to turn it back on, then understandable, but still bad. so a meh.
Iā€™m not sure about the type of batteries used in my system. I know that my current two laptops dont have a RTC (and is kept by the internal battery). Which I am not against.

The big hope for me is that Framework take this seriously and hopefully there is either a BIOS fix or maybe a different battery could be recommended. If the dormant time could be pushed to say three weeks, I think this could solve the issue for a lot of people. Three to five days is totally unacceptable for such a device.

Having a laptop you canā€™t really rely on to just work, like all the previous laptops you had, is a bit of a confidence dent. Especially as it cost me Ā£1200.00! Had it been a Ā£300 Chromebook, Iā€™d put it on Ebay for ā€˜spares and repairā€™ and move on.

Iā€™m hoping Framework can keep us updated on any investigations and possible fixes. I have faith in them currently. I canā€™t imagine this is an impossible fix.

Otherwise expect the following types of headlines -

ā€œFramework Laptop - The ā€œrepairable laptopā€ that turned out to be not quite so repairable!ā€

1 Like

I donā€™t think it is going to be a massive problem since, well, after all the battery is replaceable.

This. Sums up everything very well.

Honestly I donā€™t ā€¦ I think the issue is that the current RTC seem to be draining whenever it is off, even when the primary battery is attached, which is extremely stupid.
This will not be so stupid if the system can power on without the rtc battery, but I donā€™t think it work like that.

There is the inheritent issue of a recharbeable RTC battery losing charge very quickly as it need to be topped off all the time, which as we know puts pressure on the battery.

HPā€™s answer to this is very simple: Just donā€™t use one. The BIOS clock and setting will die once the primary battery is removed. Which I think is fine. The reason it exist, I think, is because the board is (at least, designed) to be able to operated without a primary battery, and thus swapping out RTC batteries is not going to be a very viable option. In reality the bios is somewhat buggy and it will refuse to turn on when the battery is absent(might be fixed)
Which is not the point. The point is in having a RTC battery that will either hold charge for a reasonably long enough time so the computer can still turn on after losing power, and second is to not have things freak out if the primary battery is present.

Which is also why I am suggesting a power pin on the framework laptop ā€“ if you design a system to supply constant power to the board (without needing the fussy USB-C power handshake, among other things), then you can eliminate the need to have a rechargeable battery because desktop fixtures are usually always powered (just like you can with a battery). Thus the RTC battery can be designed to be non-rechargeable because it will only kick in in a emergency.
In the case of a laptop the primary battery will be supplying all the power to the system (until the battery is removed or fully discharged).

If I cannot design a system to meet the requirement (of not using RTC if a battery is present) then at least I will make the RTC battery unnecessarily large (e.g. a 500mA LiPo) so it will have plenty of juice, even when I undercharge it to 3.95V to extend its life span. Or simply not have one. Although in the latter case, as I said, the USB handshake can be annoying.

2 Likes

Perhaps new boards have a ā€œlaptop only useā€ board and a ā€œmultifunction boardā€ that has the RTC so it can be used in laptop or ā€œenthusiast modeā€.

I really donā€™t envisage using my board in anything but the laptop. I donā€™t mind having to reset the BIOS if I unplug the battery for some reason, maybe once every 2-3 years.

In the meantime it may require those of us affected to send their boards back for a few wires to be soldered on to route around the RTC. Who knows?

this would be rather pointless since the goal is to have the motherboard be ā€¦ well, multi-functional. if you will. So they can be easily repurposed.

Yes a pertinernt question(s) is

• Was it desigend not to power on without a ā€˜fullyā€™ charged RTC?

• Was this an oversight and there had been no indictation that this would happen

• If it was intentional exaclty how was this implimeted and why?

• If not was was done such that the computer cannot be powered on without a charged RTC

• And in the perverse scenario the computer was designed to fail when the RTC was low, why couldnā€™t it have been possible to charge it from the main battery.

Given the stated drain is 30ĀµA/h with 18mA/h available it equates to 56mW (18mA x 3V) being taken from the main battery over one, two or three weeks.

So the generic design use is the battery should last 1800/30 or 600 hours or 26 days hence the 2 to 3 weeks.

So the battery may be OK if it lasts that long
But no warning is thoughtless
Not being able to run the computer without it is idiotic
No official way to aleviate the issue is a sure sign of the inabilty to apply reasonable intelligence

My mind is still trying to justify the stupidity on the current setup ???

We are talking about have the main battery suppling 0.09mW per hour to remove the need to have an RTC battery in itā€™s current configuartion or given the main battery is over 15V thatā€™s 0.015A/h

3 Likes

Thatā€™s why I said have two versions. I donā€™t need a ā€˜multifunctionā€™ board. I just need one that can boot up in my laptop after 3 days.

wait where you get the numbers from
the drain is 30ĀµA/h (from the main battery?), at 15.4 to 17.6V (4 cell). is also LiHV. Assume average voltage of 16V, which equal to 30ĀµA * 16V = 480ĀµW. or 0.48mW.
Battery is 55WH, so 114583 hours you get.
If the drain is from the coin cell: , then the power consumption becomes 30ĀµA * 3V = 90ĀµW.
If the battery are to last 3 weeks (21 days), you need 15120ĀµAh of coin cell. or 15mAh.
Is the math wrong?

The 30ĀµA/h or 0.30mA is from the RTC battery at 3V

Post 31 above

and 119 above

I just want to point out to anyone stumbling across this (at this point very large) topic that MOST people donā€™t have any problem here. I routinely leave my laptop unplugged and powered off for several weeks and at least a few times for more than a month. Iā€™ve =never= had to pull the battery.

If nothing else please be sure to read Framework @nrp response (post #43 Jun 15th).

Still not great that thereā€™s been radio silence since that post but it does feel like there is a certain amount of ā€œvocal minorityā€ driving this conversation.

Iā€™m definitely not trying to discount their concerns ā€“ the problem is real and it is completely reasonable to expect that you can leave a laptop unpowered for a week and expect it to turn on without having to open up the case!! ā€“ but for people reading this for general interest and to get information before maybe buying the laptop I think itā€™s fair for them to know that this isnā€™t quite as big a =general= issue as it might appear.

13 Likes

Hi @Tai_Kahn

If you have the RTC draining in a day then there are a few possibilities.

• You have a defective RTC battery
  • You have not charged the battery properly in the first instance

A fully charged RTC battery with no excessive drain would last some 24 daysā€¦
It is designed to provide 0.030mA/h and has a capacity of 17mA/h so 567 hours in theory

I understood people were having a problem after a week, in your case I suggest you urgently contact support.

Thanks for the more cheerful news
:tada:

Doesnā€™t sound like youā€™ve used it much then. Mine is running every day usually OFF via Hibernate at night Sleep during day, so havenā€™t any idea and really not only donā€™t want to try leaving it off for a week, let alone a month I donā€™t think I could do without repeated daily use. I probably use it on an d for hours every day.

@Tai_Kahn - what are the specs, would you be willing to sell the machine, and if so, what is your asking price?

3 Likes

This review was linked in another thread on the forums, and summarizes the issue with the RTC battery well, and it gave me an idea.
Other than @amounā€™s letter to Framework, to get them to actually give this issue the attention, and response it deserves, anyone who is having issues like this should vocalize on other platforms as well.

If they donā€™t want to give this the transparency we want (as they are still not answering many questions on this thread), then we need to make this a bigger issue for them to consider.

Examples for this would be like tweeting your grievances to Frameworkā€™s twitter account: https://twitter.com/FrameworkPuter
Or replying to their response on reddit in this post about the issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/framework/comments/vdo3i6/buyer_beware_rtcbattery_issues_on_11_and_12_gen/

1 Like

I agree with @Richard_Lees and @Senhara here. Having read through this entire thread, it seems like a largely isolated problem that not many people are facing.

This thread seems to largely be filled with overreactions, and input from people who arenā€™t facing the problem.

lol, you know a oppurtunity when you see one :rofl:

6 Likes

Iā€™d be more inclined to believe this as well if it werenā€™t officially recognized, and explained by Framework themselves.

1 Like