WD Dashboard seem to be killing storage expansion cards and slowing down everything

I have had this weird problem related to storage expansion card (specifically the 1st gen 1TB model) for nearly half a year. I have a 13th gen Intel Framework 13 running the latest Windows 11.

Event Viewer will report numerous warnings about port resets and IO operation timeouts/retries on the volume on the card, and then eventually the volume disappears (but the SCSI storage controller remains). While this is happening, because of how Windows storage stack operates and the system always waits for volumes to respond, the volume is inaccessible and the whole system would lock up until the volume either responds or disconnects.

It was yesterday that I finally figured out what was causing this - WD Dashboard. Whatever it’s doing while in background probing drive status, it causes the storage expansion card to misbehave and temporarily stop responding, causing all the slowdowns and lock ups. Once I killed WD Dashboard from the background there’s no more disk warnings in Event Viewer and no more lock ups.

I wonder if anyone have experienced similar things and if someone does, does killing WD Dashboard helps.

Also - for my first gen card, it seems that it does not support TRIM or Volatile Write Cache function (or at least it does not advertise those), as you may see in the screenshot of CrystalDiskInfo below. If anyone has a 2nd gen card, can you please provide a CrystalDiskInfo screenshot of it? I also want to know how to enable TRIM on the card if it indeed supports it.

1 Like

Bump - anyone?