Welcome! Please introduce yourself - 2nd edition

Hey, I’m a signal integrity engineer from southwest Wisconsin!

I’ve had my Framework for 2 weeks now, and it was definitely the smoothest Gentoo/Linux install that I’ve ever done. All of the little hardware issues that I had were quickly solved with a quick search on the forum here, and I was able to get my idle power down to about 3W using the battery tuning guide! The option to upgrade and repair in the future makes me excited to be using this laptop for a long time!

1 Like

Hello! My name is Russell and I am a web software engineer in Newcastle, NSW, Australia.

I have owned my Framework (12th Gen) for a couple of months now, and have only started using it recently. I have come from a 5 year old HP Spectre x360 i7 running Linux Mint.

Mint installation was painless, but unfortunately my initial experience has not been fantastic! I am getting short battery life (< 2 hours) and very hot running when only having a browser open watching videos and browsing the internet! YouTube even drops frames when nothing else is going on, not the performance I was expecting and so far it feels like a step back from my 5 year old x360!

Hoping I can identify some kind of issues through the community to improve the situation.

After lurking for 5 weeks it’s past time to say hello. I purchased a DIY 12th Gen early in January. I’ve been using it now (with Linux Mint 21.1) for 3 weeks.

I’m at the tail end of a career that has seen me using, administering, writing software for and maintaining *ix systems since the late '70s. These days I lead a small team of technologists in a media organisation.

I fully support the Framework ethos. My first luggable computer was configurable and repairable at the sub-system level. A screwdriver back then did not void the warranty. So too the laptop that followed it: tool-less reconfiguration made possible with the advent of the PC Card; battery, RAM, storage, keyboard and display all field-replaceable.

Subsequent laptops saw the sun set on this flexibility… until now. Like all who come here, I hope that Framework and what it has proven to be possible is the way of the future.

Dino

2 Likes

Greetings!

Although I have a background in web programming, lately I’ve been a caregiver for aging family members. I’m on a tight budget, but I was long overdue for a new laptop. So, I chose Framework because I’ll be able to repair and upgrade it myself as the need arises. My DIY edition arrived yesterday and I’m running Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.

I’ve been a GNU Linux user for several years, most recently running Debian in a on a Chromebook using David Schneider’s crouton project, but going from that minimalist installation to a snazzy Ubuntu desktop is an adjustment.

2 Likes

Hi! I’ve been a long time tech enthusiast, and I work as a diesel tech. I’ve been wanting to get a newer, slim laptop for personal use for a long time, and have been eyeballing the Framework laptop ever since mumblings first started about it’s release.

I just got one this past week, the 12th gen i5 DIY edition, and installed Linux Mint on it. So far I’m extremely happy with this device, so much thought was put into the design! I’ve always been a fan of Dell Latitudes for their relative ease of repair, but with the Framework being built from the ground up for people like me who like to tinker, I’ve been really excited about trying one out.

So far I’m really impressed, and can’t wait to see any additional hardware you guys come up with to modify the laptop with! :smiley: :+1:

3 Likes

Hi,
I’m Alex, working as a cloud architect and DevOps engineer.
I received my DIY editon framework laptop 10 days ago and for now I have to state that it is an awesome device that replaces my MacBook Air 2019.
I have chosen the framework laptop because of its Linux support. Ubuntu 22.04 LTS (with ZFS + encryption) is really working like a charm on it!
Great job, framework team!

2 Likes

Hi all,

I’m a web programmer and programming teacher from Canada. I came across Framework on social media and I’m looking forward to buying one soon. Going to get the DIY 12th-gen because I really want to put it together myself (and I have a new NVMe that’s been collecting dust for a few months).

2 Likes

Hi,

I am Alberto, I work as a System Development Engineer in the Linux space in USA. I just got my Framework 12th gen and I am loving it! I plan on experimenting a lot with this thing, currently using Ubuntu 22.04 for work purposes.

Can’t wait to see coreboot and other interesting features for Linux especially.

thanks!

1 Like

Hello guys,

I’m just a tech nerd living in Europe trying to figure out how to help and make the technology industry a better place.

I like to tinker around with my setups and figure out why exactly things break.

Oh and I like to help other people get their perfect setup.

1 Like

Hello :smiling_face:,
My name is Theo, I’m from Germany and have been looking quite a while at the framework laptop because I like the repairability (especially the battery and fixed memory are in my opinion the main things that usually compromise longevity).
I initially planned to get a basic i5 one but now I’m sitting here with an i7 1280P with 32GB of RAM and an 512GB SSD that I got from eBay :smiley:.
I just got it this week so I can’t say too much but so far I’m pretty pleased :smiley:.
Currenty I’ using Windows 11 because it was already pre-installed and it came with a licence for that but I do also want to try a linux distribution at some point. My primary usecases will be CAD (2D electrical with KiCad and 3D with Fusion 360 for 3D-printing) and some microcontroller development, as well as some basic office tasks for work.
I did use a 13" MacBook Pro for a few years now so I’m probably a little spoiled by that :sweat_smile: (and quite unfamiliar with windows 11).

1 Like

Hi Folks, I’m Kevin, a Staff Site Reliability Engineer living in central Texas. I’ve been using Linux since the late 90’s. Started as a hobby but morphed into a very lucrative career. I love my Framework 12th gen i5, currently running Fedora 37. I’ve loaded up 32GB of RAM and a 2TB ssd. This thing can handle anything I throw at it.

4 Likes

Hello folks!
I just received my FW and I am loving it. A lot of the reported issues are software related AKA kernel, optimizations,etc… But other than that the hardware is pretty great. I got the DIY 12th gen i5-1240p version relatively quick and all my things worked with it. I put on my crucial sticks (32gb) and i put an intel optane nvme ssd (256gb) and it read it no problem. I installed fedora 37 and plugged in my Razer core x with an RX5500XT and ran some tests and I’m quite happy. I’m basically upgrading from a T480 and Ill be using this Laptop for gaming and production (mainly audio, some occasional video) Really thankful for this device and i wish nothing but the best for Framework; Thank you! :smile:

1 Like

Hi, I have been waiting for a more sustainable laptop for a while. I really appreciate the sense I get that between the mod-ability and ethics stated by the company & community that when something like a more sustainably-sourced and sustainably-disposable materials for laptop batteries (or any other component) becomes available, this will be the community that implements it early and well. Although my background is more in the biological sciences, I hope to help out as best I can over the years.

I have received my DIY Framework laptop and 4 starting cards but I have not yet gotten it going because I have been re-litigating the “which Linux distro??” question with a focus on what works well with my new machine… only to land back on Linux Mint for myself. Same as I have been using for the past ~five years. Mostly because it appeared to work fine at least, and I’ll appreciate the familiarity at least to start.

As I get it set up I think I am going to start keeping a notebook/journal of sorts about the specs, OS, things I learn, other choices made, outcomes. I have never tried that before with my personal devices but that’s how I learn a new instrument or machine at work and in hindsight can’t believe I haven’t done this sooner.

Hope everyone is doing well.

2 Likes

Hello! I’m Matt, and I don’t have much to do at work right now!

Really looking forward to the day I can justify a new laptop. I see very few others even attempting to do what Framework appears to be doing quite successfully, and I definitely want to support it. I am just grossed out by the trend of soldering and gluing everything together to the degree that if your H key stops working you might as well throw the whole damn computer out. I hope my future support to companies like Framework helps nudge the market back towards repairability and modularity.

Currently plodding happily along with a 2015 MacBook Air and a similar vintage Latitude E7250 which dual-boots Windows and Manjaro. I would like some more power to handle some moderate video editing on the go (without having to remote/VPN into my desktop(s)), but I’m still holding out for now. Our day will come, Framework…

1 Like

“Hello World” from my new DIY Framework laptop (some assemble required). Found Framework when I started shopping for a new personal daily driver and found this review: The 4 Best Laptops For Programming - Winter 2023: Reviews - RTINGS.com. Love RTR, happy to support it. Currently running Kinetic Kudu (Ubuntu 22.10) to get up and running quickly. Will soon add Windows and Qubes, with Qubes to be the daily driver.

About myself: older than dirt. Started programming over 50 years ago, on the IBM 1130. Later played where the software meets the silicon for DEC when we were the world’s second largest computer manufacturer. Wrote some of the bootloader and exec kernel for RSX, the premier PDP-11 os.

After DEC imploded went to work for an end user company (Instinet) that had an RSX app matching buyers and sellers of stock. We didn’t sell IT but one of my projects was helping debug custom CPU silicon in-house. It was bespoke design using FPGAs to implement the PDP-11 instruction set architecture incorporating RISC techniques like branch prediction and speculative execution to push performance. Neat stuff, needed to keep up with business expansion and buy time for porting the app to a modern platform. At the time we were executing about 15% to 20% of NASDAQ’s daily volume on those PDPs, and DEC had stopped making them but NASDAQ volume was exploding.

More recently I got into cybersecurity. For the last fifteen years I’ve been doing CND (computer network defence) for the U.S. government, protecting against full scope cyber threats and adversaries.

This report about the Pegasus malware gives an idea of the stuff I like to play with, and why: The Million Dollar Dissident: NSO Group's iPhone Zero-Days used against a UAE Human Rights Defender - The Citizen Lab. I urge you to read it also to understand why I think an inherently more secure os like Qubes is a really big deal.

I’m looking forward to using Framework and Qubes as a research platform and daily driver. Very interested in coreboot, both for Qubes and from my interest in researching pre-boot security. My goal is being able to run an malware reversing lab on my daily driver, with confidence that the hardware and os will enforce isolation well enough to make it as safe as a truly airgapped standalone hardware environment. Also want to bust out my Facedancer and do some USB reversing, already wondering how the Framework expansion modules could be used for implementing tools like Cynthion (USB MITM hardware) or a JTAG reader…

Non technical interests include flying (vfr only :frowning: pp-asel and proud M20E owner :smile:), homebrewing beer, Burning Man (FLG style propane flame effects), pyrotechnics (just signed up to take a PGI DOC class in a few weeks).

I’m always happy to collaborate with like minded friends so don’t hesitate to hmu if anything I mentioned resonates with you.

3 Likes

Hello!

New purchaser here after selling a Macbook Pro because of how much I enjoyed the process of building my own tower PC for some gaming and it completely blew my macbook out of the water for photo and video editing for hundreds of dollars less (including peripherals!) after being overly loyal to Mac and Apple for years.

Secondly, I was awoken to right to repair and how much it bothered me to know that my $3500 16" M1 Max Macbook Pro was forever stuck with its current spec. Plus, another Apple story, last week the TouchID power button on my iPad Mini cracked (still not sure how) and after a nice person on Apple support chat got me an easy appointment at the Apple store where I assumed it would be fixed under warranty… Unfortunately after getting there the only option they gave me was to get a whole new iPad Mini for $350 and there was no repair option at all? Plus the warranty didnt cover the button? It sucked and I was feeling pretty done with Apple after being too loyal for years. I thought I “needed” it for my creative processes and bought a few other things for the ecosystem. Turns out I think that as usual I was sold on the ‘lifestyle’ and look of the Apple products.

Then it hit home a little extra hard after moving my semi-pro photo editing to the Windows tower full time that I was able to add 32GB of ram for a total of 64GB for $84 and about 5-7 minutes of work. Thankfully the market was strong for selling a Macbook Pro and I was able to sell it and use some of the money I made to really buy into right to repair and get a framework.

Lastly, the refurbished program is pretty cool, glad it got added! I was able to get an i7-1260p for the same price as a new DIY i5 with the expansion cards I wanted. A little cosmetic damage doesnt scare me. I’ll also admit that the word got out really well with people like Linus, he was awesome to find and watch as I built my full PC with all of the guidance and information he has there, to then see the idea of Framework there helped to sell it to me. My own research certainly confirmed what he had to say about it.

Happy to support something awesome that hopefully gets everyone’s attention, thanks!!

1 Like

Hi all!
I’m 2231puppy/Micha. I just got my new favorite laptop 2 days ago, and I already can’t imagine going back to my M1 Macbook Air (even if the battery life was a little better, it’s worth actually owning the hardware that I paid for in terms of repairability.) I’m excited to see what the future holds for all of us Frameworkers!

1 Like

Hey everyone.

A tech nerd, experimenter, and gamer with a passion for all things heading for better.

Been watching how things have been progressing since the first LTT exposure, and with the latest anouncement, it’s fair to say I’m very much onboard with where FW is heading and hope to, at least, tag along where I can.

Looking forward to the FW laptop 16 and its input module possibilities, with which I intend to immerse myself into this incredibly neat ecosystem, and finally do away with my 2013 dual core with QWERTY keyboard for good!

Thanks.

2 Likes

Hello,

I’m nasi from Switzerland, I’m an event technician who is very interested in different parts of IT.
I was very happy to see that there will be an AMD version of Framework laptop which I pre-ordered immediately. My actual gear is a Dell XPS13 9360 which is kind of a Frankenstein - I have already replaced half of the parts. But lately it got a bit wonky so a complete replacement this year is very appreciated.
I’m looking forward to many years of much fun with the Framework!

2 Likes

Hi there,

My name is Vikram from Australia. First heard about Framework via LTT and really support the ethos around Framework.

Was happy to take delivery of my Framework laptop last year and it has worked well for my purposes (I’m a teacher so use it at school and at home for work and personal use).

My system specs:

• System: Intel® Core™ i5-1240P
  • Operating System: Windows 11 Pro (Download)
  • Storage: 1TB - WD_BLACK™ SN850 NVMe™
  • Memory: 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200

I’m just hoping Framwork sticks around for a long time and continues to provide support and provide an upgrade path for their laptops for as long as possible.

2 Likes