What is this thing and how do I get it back inside the laptop?

I found this thing rattling around inside my laptop earlier today, by the right speaker. I’m almost certain it’s some sort of retention thing for the captive screws (I took them out of the laptop before reading the manual) but I’m not 100% certain, and I’m definitely not sure how to put it back where it should be. Sorry for the crappy photo.

1 Like

I don’t know either, but that actually looks to me like a cable router, possibly for the wifi antennas?

Edit: I stand corrected. :slight_smile:

It’s the retaining clip for one of the bottom screws, probably the front right.

I haven’t tried on the Framework specifically, but on other laptops what I’ve done is use a pair of needlenose pliers to hold the clip and press it onto the groove in the screw it goes to.

Easier said than done depending on the clearances of the surrounding chassis though.

1 Like

It is an e-clip. You have to push it on the screw from the side.

Needlenose pliers help to hold things.