What voltage is required to charge the Framework Laptop?

I’m curious if a battery pack that can output 5v at up to 6A would be able to charge the laptop? I mean I don’t think it would be able to charge the device WHILE it is on and being used, but while it is in standby or powered off?

Or does it need to be a voltage that is customary for laptops? (15-20V)

1 Like

If it supports usb-pd it should be fine.

1 Like

I can’t say for certain without one to try with, but my gut reaction is that it won’t have high enough voltage. It doesn’t sound like you have a USB-C PD charger, but it would have to be someone more familiar than me to give you an answer for sure.

Yeah, I was wondering if a 5v source could trickle charge the battery.

@2disbetter
I searched for an answer,

Try this response and the thread it’s in

https://community.frame.work/t/usb-c-charging/447/3

The laptop will trickle charge off a 5V source. but I would not recommend using it as a way to power the laptop when in use. We chose a buck-boost charger which can charge on any input voltage from 5V-20V. You never know when you might need it in a pinch.

11 Likes

Does this also apply to the Framework Laptop 13 Ryzen? I tried to charge it with a powerbank (5V, 9V, 12V - 18W) and a phonecharger (9V 15W) and it doesn’t charge. Only the charging LED is flashing for a second. It doesn’t matter if the laptop is switchted on or off.

@Kieran_Levin would know

Are the sources you are trying USB C PD chargers? It is important that the sources have the necessary “brains” to negotiate a supplied voltage, etc.

The powerbank is a RealPower PB-20000PD+ and USB Type C PD compatible. I used several ports (USB A und Type C) at the powerbank, several cables (USB 3 - A and Type C) and also tried several Type C ports on the Framework Laptop.

The 15W phone charger is from Samsung, have to check the exact model when I’m back at home. But it has an USB-A port, so it may not support USB C PD. 5V 2A and 9V 1,67A, if I remember correctly.

The lowest rated charger I have used with my FW13 1st batch 11th Gen is a 25 watt Samsung USB-C PD device that came with my Note 20 Ultra.

I’ve also used a 30 Watt MacBook Air charger successfully.
Both of these did add to charge under light usage.

I’ve plugged an Anker Powerbank (747?) in to charge my FW, and it shows 60+ watts draw.

It seems that the USB PD compatible powerbank is charged by the Framework Laptop. There’s s only one shared USB Type C input and output, so I can’t change anything there.

The Samsung charger is not USB-PD compatible, so that is not an option.

I have the same problem with ryzen