When will you start to ship to Sweden?

I discovered Framework, and I am genuinely impressed. I love the open-source nature of your business model, environmental thinking, easy upgradeability/customizability, and the fact that I can get a great laptop at a competitive price.

However, as a Swede, there is one big downside — you do not ship to Sweden yet (I am curious to know why). Do you plan to start shipping to Sweden by late 2023 when the 16" comes out so I can order one during the summer?

If not, is there some other way I might be able to get my hands on a 16" once it is released? For your information, I use a US keyboard, so that should not be a problem.

Thank you, and I am genuinely excited about becoming a Framework customer and supporting your company’s mission and vision :slight_smile:

1 Like

They’re building a keyboard for Swedish. It’s coming.

1 Like

It’s very unlikely.
Honestly you shouldn’t hold your breath, it could very well take another couple years.
It’s very difficult to know exactly, and maybe even Framework themselves lack visibility on the issues they may encounter.

Thanks @Mapleleaf What is the reason they do not ship to Sweden? You’d think it’d be easy to start shipping to a different country.

What if I ordered via someone else who lives in e.g. the US or Canada? Would warranty etc. still apply?

Per TheTwistgibber (Framework Staff) via Discord

Hello friends. As the conversation has shifted a bit from freight forwarding (as we’ve been shutting those down) to the legitimate question of why we aren’t just focusing on setting up international entities to streamline the EU restrictions that require significant overhead to enter new countries officially, here’s a bit of education for those that might not be in the know.

There’s a significant misunderstanding of how international operations work and what it takes to maintain multiple global entities for a company of less than 50 employees, all working remotely. While we absolutely understand everyone wants us to be everything, everywhere, all at once, we’re being compared to multi-billion dollar international behemoths as far as international presence, and even those companies aren’t everywhere, even to this day.

As a United States company operating internationally with offices in United States and Taiwan (Taiwan as our international shipping partner is there along with manufacturing), we are bound by different rules than EU-based businesses that wish to sell/ship their product throughout EU Member States.

Until we are at a scale with the appropriate finances, resources, and streamlined governmental authority to operate without what can only be described as crushing overhead, this can’t happen.

Please note that Framework does not support freight forwarding to unsupported countries as they do not have the authority to sell or ship their products to any countries/regions outside of their officially supported country/region list located here: What countries and regions do you ship to?. If individuals proceed by entering invalid/incorrect billing information, their order will be subject to cancellation/refund, and their payment method may be subject to blacklist. If the order does proceed, they are acknowledging that Framework is not responsible for anything that may happen as a result of not utilizing Framework’s direct shipping to a supported country/region, and that they are fully accountable for any additional costs incurred, or documentation required. Additional information can be found in the Framework Terms of Sale and the Framework Limited Warranty documentation.

Using a friend or family member (with a legitimate residential or commercial address, not a freight forwarding company) in a supported region to purchase a Framework is not freight forwarding because Framework defines Freight Forwarding as using a business to handle logistics, paperwork, import, etc. However, if you have to enter inaccurate billing to pay for it because you can’t select your country in the dropdowns during the checkout process, you are subject to order cancellation and payment blacklist for doing so.

Your designated person in a supported region, and their address, would be considered the owner of the device by Framework support. In addition to getting the device to you in the first place, they would need to handle reverse logistics if you needed to return a part (you would send the part to your designated person, who could then use Framework’s prepaid label to send it back to Framework), and they would need to receive any replacement parts and be responsible for getting them to you as well. Overall really not recommended or supported.

Please keep in mind that any discussion of getting around these restrictions would not be permitted.

We all wish that Framework could be everywhere globally, but that is not possible at this time for the reasons expressed above. If and when Framework does expand to Sweden in the future, I hope you’ll consider a purchase at that time.

2 Likes

“Please note that Framework does not support freight forwarding to unsupported countries as they do not have the authority to sell or ship their products to any countries/regions outside of their officially supported country/region list located here”

Why, and who cares?

Just let me buy the laptop, if it breaks then that’s my problem.
Also the EU is supposed to be a single internal market so what’s the deal there?

“Wait a couple of years” is not really an acceptable answer.
Sorry for the salty tone but i’ve been waiting for two years for this laptop…

Framework. Because they are not out just to make money, but rather to sell people an amazing laptop WITH the support and marketplace to repair and upgrade it.

This topic has been discussed ad nausem here. If you would like more information than what I am going to provide I encourage you to search the forum.

The goal of the EU was to do what you are describing, however this did not invalidate each country’s individual customs and import laws. This means in a legal and reality based perspective there is nothing single market about it for external companies seeking to import their products to EU countries.

I really do sympathize and understand your frustration. But please understand that Framework would love to sell you a laptop with all of the support and upgrade-ability that it should entail. BUT, they MUST do so legally. International trade laws, and individual customs and import laws are complex and difficult to navigate. This isn’t Framework’s fault. The fact that they are even trying speaks volumes about how much they care. In short, your frustration with Framework is misplaced. You should be petitioning your own government to make it easier for Framework to sell products there.

4 Likes

I think what a lot people are also missing is the general idea of how things work in a company.

You can’t just click “open store to all world” and be done with it.

There are laws, logistics, production, upfront costs, locale challanges etc. that all need to be cared about BEFORE entering a market. And this is by ignoring the limited time and resources Framework currently has with a very small team (compared to most other companies which sell similiar products).

I am living in the EU but this whole “We’re in the EU, we are one market”-idea has to stop. Please tell me where this law or rule is written, because I do not know of such a thing that exists for companies not residing in Europe.

In fact we should be happy about how far they are already selling their laptops and just how much progress they’ve made already.

I know I am lucky to be in a supported country, but there are other products that I am waiting for that I can’t buy here either but that’s fine, change doesn’t happen in a second and that’s ok for me. If it’s not for you, then maybe you should reevaluate your choices.

5 Likes

Because of how complicated the process is, and how easy it is for things to go wrong, they don’t typically announce anything until it’s locked in, so there is no ETA for you at this time. If you want to make sure they’re aware of the demand, select Sweden in the region selector on their website, as that registers your interest and helps them prioritize where to expand next.

As others have said (and has been discussed at length in other threads), there are legal, regulatory, logistical, and tax-related hurdles to a company based outside the EU who wants to sell within EU countries. Unfortunately, EU open market does not override this.

It is important to note that Framework does not support freight forwarding, and any orders that utilize freight forwarding or holding company addresses or have false billing information are subject to cancellation upon audit. Please keep in mind that any discussion of getting around these restrictions would not be permitted.

We all wish that Framework could be everywhere globally, but that is not possible at this time for a number of reasons which have been explained in previous posts. If and when Framework does expand to Sweden in the future, I hope you’ll consider a purchase at that time. Until then, they kindly ask for your patience while they continue to expand their global footprint.

With all that said, and based on the community rule against the discussion of freight forwarding, I’ll be closing this thread at this time. Thank you for supporting the Framework mission.

1 Like