Wi-Fi Issues Windows 11

I seem to be having massive issues with Wi-Fi speeds on my 12th Gen Framework laptop. Here are the following specs of the computer:

CPU: i7-1260P
RAM: G.Skill 32GB (2x16) - 3200MHz
SSD: SN850 500GB
Wi-Fi: Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6E AX210 160MHz

I have installed the appropriate provided drivers from Framework’s website and also installed Intel’s Driver Support Assistant to get the most current Wi-Fi adapter drivers.

My laptop and wireless desktop sit roughly 20ft away from the access point in the next room over. Both the Framework laptop and desktop are connected to 5GHz band with very drastic difference in speed tests.

Home Network Equipment:
Modem: Spectrum EU2251
Router: Ubiquiti USG
AP: Ubiquity UAP-AC-Lite

Desktop Speed Test: 300Mb/s
Framework Laptop Speed Test: 50Mb/s

Both tests were conducted using speedtest.net with the same server. I have noticed this issue both at home, and at university. I thought maybe the antenna was better on my desktop, but I also checked the speeds using my old 2013 MacBook Air and those speeds matched the desktop speed I was getting.

I have checked to make sure the Wi-Fi card has been seated properly and the antenna connections were also connected with each of their audible clicks. I have also checked to see how Framework laptop performed on a 2.4GHz band and the speed was even smaller at a mere 5Mb/s.

The only time I noticed the laptop getting the correct speed was when I was sitting directly next to the access point. As soon as I started moving 5ft away or so, the speed started dropping very noticeably.

I am at a loss for how to proceed. I have reached out to support, but so far there has been no resolution after almost a week of exchanged messages.

Edit: Added Wi-Fi card info and home network items.

Sounds like bad antenna cables, but that’s just a guess.
I would try booting some Live Linux USB stick and check the speed, just to get sure it’s not a software issue.
Also, did you try to copy files over to the other computer to check how fast this connection is?
I guess there isn’t any filter or QoS configured on your router?

1 Like

I did try booting Ubuntu from a USB and did a speed test. Unfortunately the results were very similar.

I did test a file transfer through my home network and the speeds at comparable at 56Mb/s.

In regards to any filtering or QoS, I don’t believe I have any of those enabled. My router has firewall and smart queue capabilities, but I left those off as it stated it would hinder throughput.

I didn’t see the wifi chipset and router chipset that is being used in your post. It would be worth a google search to search for known issues between those two. It happens more often than one would think. Not all chipsets play as well together as they should.