Wifi card screwup!

We received a carton of replacement antenna modules at our warehouse and found that they were not assembled fully. We’re now waiting on the missing piece to complete the assembly and be able to start sending them out to folks who need them.

6 Likes

I don’t think I screwed anything up during install, but I’m getting pretty poor Wi-Fi range. It works fine in other rooms closer to the WAPs but not in my home office where I need it. My HP Spectre x360 14t that I’ve been using for the past year is sitting on the same laptop stand that the Framework is and has never had a problem maintaining a good connection. With the Framework, I’m lucky if it’ll connect at all.

Has anyone noticed poorer than normal Wi-Fi range that doesn’t seem to be the result of damage during installation?

Sure thing. I’ve attached three photos. I have removed and reconnected the cables a couple times too just in case but same poor signal. I’ve installed wifi cards enough times before that I’m pretty confident it’s not user error, but who knows.

For some data points, both my Spectre x360 running Windows 10 and my OnePlus 7 Pro running Android 11 report 70-80% signal strength consistently. From the same place on my desk in my office, the Framework consistently reports 50% or below and fails to maintain a good connection.

I just commented on another thread on this, but one other test for folks who are on Windows 10 and seeing WiFi performance issues is trying Intel’s latest AX210 drivers: Windows® 10 and Windows 11* Wi-Fi Drivers for Intel® Wireless Adapters

3 Likes

I ended up buying a Intel 9560 from Amazon for under $15 to replace the one I damaged.

You were correct that I was able to pull the ring out, it took a while but eventually came out. The new card was able to install and is working great with both antennas on Linux. I had never been able to get Bluetooth working on Arch or Ubuntu before, but it works just fine with the new card.

I received my replacement WiFi antenna from Framework this last Friday! I have to say that I’m super impressed with their proactive customer support. I’m loving my Framework laptop more and more. One of my family members walked in and commented that it looked complicated when I was installing it, and I informed them it was quite the opposite. I had more difficulty just opening up my HP laptop to get at it’s WiFi module. My FW was a breeze in comparison.

Some thoughts on the new WiFi antenna.

• The antenna cables are the perfect length this time. The originals were a little too long.
  • I did get the satisfying snap when I connected them, but I think this was more a function of having a better idea how to connect them. I was very careful this time to align everything just right.
  • I still had the cables disconnect from the WiFi module the first time I tried to place it into the slot, but the second time everything stayed put.

Finally, I have to give Framework props for being willing to allow less than professional people assemble their own products, and still honoring the warranty. I really hope that they’re profitable and stay in business for many years to come. They’re working really hard to make this a great launch, and I wish them all the best.

8 Likes

Sorry to revive an older thread but I’m having the same problem. I may have damaged the connectors but I don’t have a magnifying glass to be sure. Is there any way to get new cables either by warranty or by buying them? I’ve been emailing with support but your rep is just telling me it should still work even though there’s no click. However it’s impossible for me to get the wires to stay on and seat card.

Do you have a phone camera you can zoom in with?
Macro mode?

I am amazed by the many successful installers!

I am unable to get the connectors to stay connected. I watched a video that uses the same techniques I used, but I have not been able to make it work.

I am going to have to give up on WiFi. I will have to take it to a jeweler who has better tools and more patience.

Ah, I would recommend a computer repair shop over a jeweler any time.

3 Likes

I had this issue too. My eye is not good. I couldn’t see small stuff. I should use a magnifying glass. Shall we add the “magnifying glass” to the guide?

I have to contact the support too…