Will a 5G m.2 card work in the framework motherboard?

Let’s say I have a framework 13 motherboard, and a m.2 5G WWAN card, will it be able to connect to the internet if I connect the appropriate antenna to the m.2 card? To be specific, while in Linux, assuming the m.2 5G card supports Linux.

I think so, but you would be sacrificing the WiFi/BT capability. Make sure the m.2 key on the card matches the key of the m.2 slot.

I have a A+E key module and a B key module and I plan to replace the internal SSD with the 5G module and use a storage expansion card for the OS. Would that work well?
Can anyone who has a m.2 5G module confirm if the slot takes 5G card?
Also, how much height clearance do I have there in the SSD slot?

You could but adding the antennas and other items would be quite difficult especially routing them outside the case (which is metal / will block the signals and harm the range). I would recommend you purchase a USB 3 or 4 to PCIe adapter, this way it gives you easier access and better signal quality.

Plugging it in to the m.2 SSD slot also will leave a lot of performance on the table as WiFi and LTE/5G cards usually only need a PCIe x1 or x2 slot but you are using a whole x4 slot. It would be better to just purchase an external module.

The internal SSD is an ‘M’ key M.2, which means that the slot will likely not fit an ‘A+E’ or ‘B’ key module.

Right, did not notice this, I would prefer a “internal” solution though, so I can move my laptop without worrying the download/whatever it is doing get interrupted because the USB connection got lose or unplugged accidentally. Hope framework will come with (5G) WWAN officially soon.