AMD Batch 4 Guild

Anyone got AMD Batch 4 here?

7 Likes

I got an AMD 7640u without ram & storage but with the charging brick and 7 expansion ports

Yup, batch 4. Sounds like batch 1 is starting to ship. There was talk that they were ramping up production due to the heavy volume of orders, so hopefully batch 4 won’t be too far down the road.

2 Likes

Batch 4, checking in! Tbh I’ve just been telling myself December since I ordered, and if it comes sooner I’ll be pleasantly surprised :slight_smile:

1 Like

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

2 Likes

Also batch 4 here, Ryzen 7.

Ha, I did the same, I essentially saw it as very early investment into a Christmas present to myself :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi, Hi Hello everyone
we now all get to sit and wait for our frameworks

Hope to see mine soon

1 Like

Batch 4 here reporting for duty!

My time hope is basically for it to arrive on the same day that Fedora 39 ships, towards the end of this month.

4 Likes

Another batch 4 reporting in! I ordered a 7840u with no storage or ram. Cautiously hoping for early November.

2 Likes

I ordered a 7840u with 32 GB RAM, but without SSD. I consider buying this 2TB SSD: Samsung 990 Pro SSD Review: The Return of the King | Tom's Hardware
Would you expect that it works well, or will it get too hot?

1 Like

Welcome to the community!

Personally, I would expect it to work fine. During prolonged reads or writes it may heat up to the point that the drive controller throttles and the drive slows down, but I suspect it would still work well overall. You might get better sustained speeds if you had some kind of cooling so the controller didn’t thermal throttle. But I haven’t seen any testing to see if a cheaper, slower drive would throttle less and end up performing at a similar speed to a faster drive in a laptop. Could be an interesting test.

2 Likes

I was researching this same drive before purchasing yesterday. There’s an extremely in depth review here: TechPowerUp

Regarding heat:

The Samsung 990 Pro handles the heat very well though, even without a heatsink. In our worst-case thermal stress test we were able to get the drive to throttle, but only briefly, and only when hammering it with hundreds of GBs of writes at multiple GB/s. The thermal throttling algorithm is also well-behaved, you still get 1.3 GB/s when throttled. Samsung does offer a variant with heatsink for $15 more, I see no reason to spend that money. For the typical day-to-day usage tasks the thermal performance is easily good enough, no need to worry.

2 Likes

I wonder what the test setup looked like. In a desktop PC case with case fans providing airflow? Open test bench? Inside a cramped laptop? Still, even if those results were in a case with lots of airflow and it throttled a bit more in a laptop, I still think it would be fine.

Edit: Also, welcome to the community!

2 Likes

Thanks!

That’s a great point. I had it stuck in my head that it was tested in a laptop, but it was a desktop case. Full test setup: (TechPowerUp)

I still think it will probably work fine in normal workloads, but I’ll test it once mine is all set up. Worst case, a little $10 stick-on heatsink should help if it will fit. I got pretty significant temp improvements using the cheapest one I could find for chia mining a couple years ago.

3 Likes

Batch 4 here. I hope it arrives before my current laptop dies. I’ve been holding it together for the past six months.

3 Likes

Hey all waiting for Batch 4! I’m batch 4 too, just a bare bones DIY Ryzen 5.

Batch 1 started preparation for shipping 11 days ago, batch 2 started preparation today. Are we getting our emails early November?

I’m very excited!

Let baseless speculation commence!

4 Likes

Hello, also Batch 4 here. You are assuming that the Batches are sized evently… Do we expect this to be the case?

1 Like

Batch 4 here! It’s good to hear Batch 1 and 2 are progressing.

1 Like

In my more baseless speculations I think we can expect emails at the end of October

3 Likes