AMD DIY 7840U not booting. No POST code reference

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING:

Are you looking into the forum because you’re having potential issues with your Framework laptop? Before creating a post, we may have a guide, FAQ, or thread that can hopefully help!

In the body of your post, please include those following details.

• Which OS (Operating System)? I can’t install an OS because the screen doesn’t work. It was going to install Ubuntu 22 for AMD.
  • Which release of your OS (Operating System / Windows 10, 11)? (if you are having a Linux related issue, please create your thread under the Linux subcategory) I can’t install Linux because it’s not booting.
  • Which Framework laptop (11th, 12th or 13th generation Framework laptop, Chromebook or Framework Laptop 16) are you asking for support with? AMD DIY 7840U with 2.8 display.
  • If there is no information pertaining to your issue or question, please let us know here: Framework | Support Framework | Fix Consumer Electronics. – I have also opened a ticket since I couldn’t find anything through a search on the forum.

I’ve read through and tried everything. The section when first booting the laptop said it can take “several minutes” with no real time frame was incredibly frustrating. I first shut it off after 5 minutes only to scroll down after shutting it off to find it can take several minutes to boot the first time.

I reseated the RAM, tried the different sticks in different ports. Double checked that I was using the Crucial DDR5 SODIMM 5600 RAM (64 GB) that was compatible. The drive was also bought separately and is the WD Black SN850X NVMe SSD 4TB. I even checked it to make sure it was seated properly.

I checked the display cable, the routing for the cables was clean as far as I could tell with nothing sticking out or being pinched. The frame install was easy and without issue. Installing the keyboard was easy as well. I let it charge overnight and returned this morning to the issue.

I finally shut it off then unplugged the battery, the LEDs blinked red twice. I plugged the laptop into the charger and turned it on. Nothing again. It started blinking BRBRBRBRBRBR repeatedly.

I shut if off then carefully plugged in the battery. After turning it on it’s the exact same problem. Nothing but a black screen. I recorded the POST code but never found anything to tell me what it’s indicating. GGGGGGGGGGGGRBGBGBGGGBB

I’m betting R code is hinting at something being amiss but I have no idea what else to do at this point. I ordered the RAM too early and if it’s bad or turns out to be incompatible then I’m pretty sure I have no RAM as I live in a rural dump and have to drive hours for any hardware. Any help would be appreciated as I need to set this up for work or I’ll have no choice but to see if I can return it.

I’m sorry there is an issue with your laptop.
Once you get to trying to interpret post codes, you really need support’s help. I don’t think we have a post code list for the AMD boards. There was a list posted somewhere, but it was at the time of the first Gen intel boards iirc. And it just didn’t seem very useful in practice.

How long did you wait each time.
Unfortunately, the time is takes for DDR5 memory training can be long sometimes. And it seems pretty variable, from seconds to many minutes. I’d recommend not sitting in front of it and waiting. Just note the time on the clock & go do something else, then come back to it. Though it may not be typical, Crucial does say it can take 15 minutes. Googling DDR5 memory training, I see some people give longer times even.

DDR5 systems may require training | Crucial.com

just leave the system powered to complete this process, which in some instances has been seen to take up to 15 minutes.

2 Likes

Ah yes, the AMD can be slow “training” during the first boot with new DDR5 DIMMs issue.
My FW DIY laptop 13 didn’t take long, but mine has FW’s own brand DDR5 DIMMs that came with it. It could well be slow on its first boot with Crucial DIMMs.

No, that’s just the orange blink between the R/G status codes and the G/B binary code for the POST code.

3 Likes

I waited 2 hours for the first test with both RAM sticks in. Then I tried each one separately and waited at least 30 minutes for a total of four times so at least two more hours of testing. I’m really unsure of what to do next.

1 Like

Hi. Please post a video of the flash codes. There are too many letters in this one:
GGGGGGGGGGGGRBGBGBGGGBB
Note, this is not a RAM problem, it is something else.
You could try unplugging the NVME and Battery, with just the RAM installed, and see if it gets any further. I.e. Get something on the display or into BIOS by pressing F2.
You can plug in an external USB keyboard that saves you putting the laptop back together for testing.

1 Like