Backslash key stopped working

My first gen(I believe 2021) Framework recently started to have issue with the backslash / pipe key.

I took the top off the laptop and tested the key with the keyboard off the rest of the frame. After a reboot the key worked. So I put the top/keyboard back on and it works for a while but then it stops. I take the laptop apart again and reboot with it detracted and it works again. After a while it stops working.

I’m not sure what the issue is. Maybe there is some contact/grounding issue? Honestly I’m stumped. Anyone have any ideas?

It’s an odd issue for sure. If you feel comfortable doing so, you could take apart the keyboard cover and check for damage under the key or possible some crumbs or gunk under there that could be causing blockage of some sort. Just be careful as many people have reported stripping the screws holding the keyboard into the metal cover.

You shouldn’t need to remove the keyboard from the topcover. Often times, it’s an issue with the mainboard topcover connector, the connector on the cable, or the keyboard connector on the touchpad. Check over all of them to make sure nothing is bent and that there isn’t dust or grime on them. Only take apart the keyboard as a last resort. As Azure mentioned, it’s very easy to stripe the screws.

This is totally correct, I somehow misinterpreted the fact that you removed the keyboard cover as you also reseating the keyboard flex cable. Try this first, and if that doesn’t work, then you may need to check the keyboard itself.

I contacted Framework support and they advised me to try blowing out the the key under the cap. I had already done this before but I tried it a few more times while pressing the key a lot. It started working more often but still failing. I kept doing this and now it seems to be working ok. Hopefully it will continue to work :slight_smile:

Thanks for the advice.

If it’s any help, I recently replaced my keyboard because the “Del” had stopped working. After I powered back up, the “Del” key was back, but my “Alt” key stopped working !?!?!? I carefully removed and replaced both ends of the power switch / fingerprint sensor cable, the keyboard cable, the keyboard backlight cable, and the large cable from the front assembly to the motherboard. I used a magnifier to make sure alignment was as good as I could get it, and all my keys work now.