Blue Screen

I have experienced Blue Screen errors and reported them to Framework but still have yet to have a resolution. I have been dealing with this and finally into complete failure. I have requested either a new computer or a full return/refund. I have yet to receive an answer. This is an amazing concept and I am so very disappointed. :frowning:

1 Like

There are lots of issues that could cause a blue screen sadly.

Could you take a picture of the error message the next time it happens? If possible, could you also let us know what is being done on the laptop when the blue screen occurs e.g. sleep/lid closed/video playback etc. Someone here in the community might be able to help.

1 Like

Unfortunately, this tells us basically nothing. Can you at least post a picture of the BSOD that you get? That might help with understanding whatā€™s going on.

1 Like

Certainly. see attached the most recent

Unfortunately it is hard to pin down what I am doing because generally I am not doing anything. I have walked away for a few min. and returned to a blue screen, rebooted due to freezing issues and get a blue screen directly after reboot. The blue screens all have multiple different error messages. I have tried everything. Reseating my memory, removing and reinstalling the hard drive, etc. The computer has also run a chkdsk 3 times and ā€œfixedā€ issue w/the hard drive only to get another blue screen.

I pretty much had to delete my message because youā€™ve tried everything I was about to suggest!

Iā€™m fairly certain the laptop hardware might be faulty. At this point the only other two things you can try would be resetting Windows, or booting a Linux distribution from an USB, seeing if it freezes in the same way Windows doesā€¦

That said, I would personally get the machine replaced.

One last shot in the darkā€¦ What SSD are you using? There are quite a few reports on the forum where it appears (to me anyway) that some SSDs are overheating in the chassis and disconnecting themselves from the system

1 Like

Unfortunately, I have not used Windows as my daily driver for years at this point. But: Have you tried all of these steps? I know youā€™ve tried some of them (particularly chkdsk), but there are other things there that might help with troubleshooting (for example, one of the RAM sticks might be faulty, and the last step in that link might help determine that).

1 Like

My hard drive is 1TB - WD_BLACKā„¢ SN750 NVMeā„¢. I deleted the partition and reinstalled a clean windows and driver bundle from framework last night. All seemed well, then this morning I got the blue screen I posted on this forum. It was actually the second blue screen this morning, however the first one rebooted the computer before I could get the error code. I since changed my settings to avoid reboot so I could see the error. So reinstalling windows, did not help either.

Did methods 5 or 6 on that page lead anywhere? Basically, Iā€™m wondering if one of your RAM sticks is faulty (since thatā€™s one of the most likely reasons your computer would randomly BSOD).

I have a single RAM stick of 32 gig. So far, nothing has worked.

So running the memory diagnostic tool didnā€™t turn up any errors?

I have to admit I was lost doing the memory diag. I was completely unfamiliar with the tool and lost on how to do it. If you guide me, I can try again.

If you open the Start menu and type ā€œWindows Memory Diagnosticā€, you should be able to open the program. Then, just hit ā€œRestart and check for problemsā€.

At least, thatā€™s how Iā€™m assuming it should work (again, havenā€™t really used Windows in a long time and I donā€™t have an install on-hand to test it out).

Ok. I ran the memory test and there were no issues.

Hmmm, okay. Damn. Maybe someone else can guide you from here, b/c Iā€™m out of ideas :confused:

I am thinking it is a hard drive or motherboard issue

I was also experiencing a lot of freezes and reboots. I chalked it up to an unclean install/reimaging from my Surface Pro 4.

After installing the 3.06 firmware, I found my system is perfectly stable: 8 days uptime, and Iā€™ve been testing some Linux kernel compiling options, so system load spikes and recedes (Iā€™ve had various configurations of OSā€™s running on 32GB RAM).

I would suggest giving the beta firmware an honest shot at this point. I canā€™t recommend it, but it might be a rabbit hole worth exploring.

Page Fault in a non-paged area refers to the RAM or drivers and the memory diagnostic tool in windows isnā€™t the greatest. Iā€™d use Memtest86 to really check it overnight.

The BSOD doesnā€™t refer to any programs causing the crash so that suggests a hardware fault to me and I know that some people were having firmware issues with the Western Digital drives, might be related, donā€™t use the drives myself so havenā€™t really looked into it

Fixed this exact problem for a friend like 2 weeks ago and it was RAM related

1 Like

Hi, I just got my Framework in early January and Iā€™ve really liked it. The problem is sometimes when I leave my laptop, I will come back to it with the fan running full blast and the laptop is really hot. When I open up the screen I get a blue message:
ā€œDefault Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed. Insert Recovery Media and Hit any key Then Select ā€˜Boot Managerā€™ to choose a new Boot Device or to Boot Recovery Mediaā€.

After I hit a key it goes to a black screen and says ā€œno boot deviceā€ or something like that. To get the computer to work again I have to power off and power back on and it loads like normal.
For reference, I got a DIY kit from batch 6 with CPU: IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ i7-1165G7, Storage: 1TB - WD_BLACKā„¢ SN850 NVMeā„¢, WiFi: IntelĀ® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 No vProĀ®, Memory: 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200, and I got the 256 USB drive cartridge as well along with s few others. I did not get Windows with my laptop, I made a Windows 10 install USB using the windows media creation on the day I got the laptop and installed Windows fine from that. Any help would be appreciated.

Thereā€™s an issue with these drives that can be resolved with a firmware update. The symptoms match what youā€™ve described :slight_smile:

3 Likes