Bricked Framework AMD 13

I have a fresh FW AMD 13, and I upgraded the BIOS from 3.03 to 3.0.5 via LVFS on Arch. fwupdmgr offered a restart, after which I got a “Framework” screen with a progress bar, saying it’s upgrading the BIOS. The fan started spinning at 100% after about a minute, and I got a graphical glitch on the screen after about 15 minutes. I tried powering it off after about half an hour, but the laptop wasn’t responding to anything. After about an hour, I just unplugged the power, and I noticed the fan stopped spinning. The glitch was still there, and I let it die without power overnight.

When I tried powering it on in the morning, the screen woulnd’t come on, and the side LEDs went through the blinking cycle, as described here: My Framework Laptop (Intel 11th Gen Intel® Core™) is not powering on. I got all the 12 checks green, and then, after the orange blink, I got 10101000, which should be 0xA8 = SMM_ACPI_DISABLE_START // OS call ACPI disable function from here: Framework Laptop port80 codes · GitHub. I guess nobody knows what that means. The only difference from the state with the glitch on the screen is that now I can turn it off by holding the power button.

When I power it on, the screen won’t come on, the fan keeps spinning between ~50% and 100%, regardless of the power cable being plugged in, the LEDs do their blinking, and that’s it.

I tried resetting the mainboard as described here: Fully Resetting the Mainboard State - Framework Guides but no change. I also took out the SSD, and I tried taking out each memory stick.

Have you emailed support ?

I have.

I think that’s your best bet if the updater has badly broken the BIOS. Sounds like you’ve tried all the obvious steps already.

1 Like