Configuration Science Survey

Framework 13 ryzen 350, 32GB DDR5 (third party), 2TB nvme SSD (third party), orange bezel, 2x USB C, 1x HDMI, 1x USB A. Purchased :check_box_with_check:

Improvements I considered but didn’t buy:

  1. The new intel mainboard, for battery life and thermals while gaming. But not worth the price.
  2. The new chassis for the larger battery and the improved speakers, but similarly not worth the price currently.
  3. The new screen, but I already have the first 2.8k screen. So I’ll wait for an option with better contrast ratio and/or HDR, otherwise the improvement seems not really worth the price.

Thunderbolt 5 probably would have convinced me to get the new intel mainboard since I’m an eGPU user, but sadly it’s still on TB4 :frowning: Please gimme TB5, my 5060ti begs you.

Here’s my setup:

Framework 16 - Ryzen 9 7940HS

  • Crucial 32GB 5600MT/s DDR5 RAM (self-sourced)
  • Crucial P3 2TB SSD
  • Bezel: Black
  • Keyboard: RGB US English, Windows + RGB Macropad
  • 2x aluminum spacers
  • 1x standard touchpad
  • 2x USB-A (aluminum), 2x USB-C (translucent black)
  • 1x HDMI, 1x full-size SD, 1x 2.5Gb Ethernet Card
  • 1x Radeon RX7700s Gen 1 Graphics Expansion
  • 180W Charger

Lovely device, but the touchpad + spacers are a bit rough (not an issue from my POV but some people might have issues with fit+finish). I am likely going to invest in the single-piece haptic touchpad in the future. Also, given the availability of parts, I am also going to swap out the lower + upper chassis pieces after a few years to give the system a new look.

I have shared a part 2, but part 1 is equally important and you are not required to do part 2 unless you want to! Thank you for your participation thus far. :folded_hands::memo: Configuration Science Survey Pt. 2

but what if that might also be part of the research? i was also curious what people understand as a configurator in general so… im getting all kinds of data :memo:

Framework 16, best laptop I have ever owned (even with it’s many ever-continuing firmware/bios bugs):

  • AMD Ryzen 9 7940HS
  • AMD ATI Radeon 7700S
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR5 64GB (2x32GB)
  • Qualcomm QCNCM865 WiFi 7
  • Drives: 2TB Corsair MP600 CORE MINI, 2TB Samsung SSD 980 PRO
  • RGB US keyboard
  • 2xRGB LED Matrix modules
  • Various expansion cards as needed, currently; 3X usb-c, 2X usb-A, 1x 256GB Memory
  • 240W PSU and 180W PSU depending on where I am

Used mainly for gaming, web browsing, 3d printing, playing with local AI. So glad I bought all this before the rampocalypse.

1 Like

My config:
FL13 AMD Ryzen 7 7840U, 2X16GB Crucial RAM, 2TB SK Hynix P41, 2.2k screen, USB-C, DP and 2XUSB-A expansion cards.

Screen Upgrade?

My first upgrade is the 2.8K 30-120Hz touchscreen, my reception is kind of mixed. It’s much brighter but burns through the battery even at the same brightness (lower than medium brightness setting to get the same medium brightness of 2.2k screen), reducing the light usage runtime from 6-8h to 4-5h. The reason I found after a quick search, is that on a denser screen, less of each pixel’s area is transmissive, so the backlight needs more power to push the same brightness through. The screen is also pretty cold, so an ICC profile is recommended. Power savers can use the Ultra 3 mainboard and the 2.2k screen.

Others

I think the practical way for Framework to solve the hardware power management issue is to either find and use an NVDC/HPB charge controller that natively supports up to 48V input, or admit that USB-C charging isn’t the only solution and opt for 20V 12A DC barrel jack (still a standard plug, not proprietary) input.

Framework 16 with:

  • AMD Ryzen 9 7940HS w/ Radeon 780M Graphics
  • AMD Radeon™ RX 7700S
  • Crucial RAM 96GB Kit (2x48GB) DDR5
  • Samsung 990 PRO 2TB PCIe 4.0
  • Corsair MP600 MINI 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe x4
  • 240W Delta Electronics, ADP-240KB BA
  • eGPU (ADT-UT3G) - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 5070 Ti
  • Expansion Cards:
    • Left side:
      • USB-C
      • USB-C
      • USB-A
    • Right side:
      • USB-C
      • USB-A
      • USB-A

Purchased
Framework Laptop 16 (I think I was in batch 6?)

Format CPU Memory Storage OS Expansion Cards
16" AMD 7840 DDR5-5600 - 64GB Crucial 2TB Samsung 990, 1TB Micron 2400 (2240 drive) Windows 11 / Ubuntu USB-C x2
USB-A x1
HDMI (1st Gen) x1
SNACK Drawer XL x2

Tried to use @XenoCow 's table and I am a big fan of the Snack Drawers! The little XL ones give the laptop just a little more height for better airflow.

Bought the 240w charger once it became available. If I ever abandon my home workstation adding a Nvidia card would replace the m.2 adapter I installed for a potential oculink and external graphics card setup.

1 Like

Not bought, since my old laptop ist still running strong, but my ideal configuration, from what’s available at the moment:

FW16,
Ryzen 7 or intel ultra 7
RTX 5070 12 GB
2x16 GB Ram (for now, more when prices come down)
1 TB SSD
no operating system (or Linux if available)
numbpad
Expansion-Cards: 2 USB-C, 2 USB-A, HDMI, audio, + 1 snack drawer for fun :wink:
haptic touchpad

If we are just talking about the configuation pages when ordering a FW product.
I think it would be helpful if one could configure anything at the first purchase stage that one can in the parts shop.
I.e. buying a FW 16 with a dual nvme ssd expansion bay.
Currently not a possible option with a new laptop order.
Making it two orders, one for FW16, one for dual nvme ssd, and resulting double postal fees, seems less efficient.

Hi

Currently:
  • i3-1315U
  • DDR5-5600 - 32GB
  • SN770M 2TB
  • Gray, lavender (light colors in case of sun son)
  • 2x USB C, 1 sage and 1 translucent green
  • 2x USB A
  • Stylus - Sage
  • Fedora and Windows via GRUB

I’m about to order another DIY 12 but with the core 3, just going to pop my drive and RAM over. Then I’ll have the old one for spare parts or possibly set it up for something else.

The i3 runs a little hot but this setup is pretty great. I hope the core processors make it better?

I can’t justify buying my favorite configs, which would have the most power available? L:)L

Bye

Only items available in the configurator can be added to a pre-order due to packaging, shipping and warehouse constraints.

1 Like