"Driver may be corrupted or missing" for Yamaha THR II

Not sure if this is the right place to report incompatibility with external hardware, so I totally understand if you’re not able to help.

I’m unable to use the Yamaha THR II (a guitar amp) with this laptop. The manufacturer provides a driver, which works out of the box on at least two other Windows 10 machines (ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 2 and Surface Book Pro), but not on the Framework.

Expected behavior: the device appears as a Speaker and a Digital Audio Interface in the Sounds control panel.

Actual behavior: in Device Manager, I see the following error:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

{Bad Image}
%hs is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support. Error status 0x

Looking in the Events tab, I see a slightly more detailed error:

Device USB\VID_0499&PID_7181\5&1ac913a6&0&1 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: oem20.inf
Class Guid: {4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Service: YamahaTHRII
Lower Filters:
Upper Filters: YamahaTHRII_AvsFilter
Problem: 0x27
Problem Status: 0xC000007B

What I’ve tried: restarting laptop and device; reinstalling the driver; using different USB ports; uninstalling all Realtek drivers.

If I uninstall the manufacturer driver, this device appears as a Speaker and a Microphone. It works as a speaker, but the “microphone” has very poor quality and latency so I can’t use it as an audio interface.

I’m stuck on how I would go about debugging this issue, so any general pointers would help too.

What build version of Windows 10 are the other two systems?

• Framework (not working): 21H1, version 19043.1202
  • ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 2: 21H1, version 19043.1165
  • Surface Book Pro: 20H2, version 19042.1110