Dust causing phantom display issues in DIY Cooler Master case (Ryzen 5 mainboard)

Today, I spent several hours troubleshooting a phantom display on my Ryzen 5 Framework Laptop running Windows 11 in a Cooler Master case. This was a new problem as of today and was extra annoying since it had set this phantom display as my default. After updating display drivers, plugging in to different external monitors, finally just reinstalling Windows, the problem stayed. Finally I realized that there might be something stuck in the mainboard display port (which was open since I wasn’t using a Framework screen). As soon as I put some compressed air on the port, voila, the phantom display was gone and everything worked again. Problem solved! Except…this could (and probably will) happen again and I don’t know how to go about making sure it doesn’t. Does anyone have suggestions on strategies I might try to keep the port clean in the long term, assuming I don’t want to strap a filter on my Cooler Master case? I’ve considered purchasing a display cable from the Marketplace and installing it as a “dust plug”, or even 3D printing a very small cap to go over the Display port area so dust doesn’t get in. Any thoughts would be helpful.

I don’t think normal dust should cause that, perhaps a tiny piece of something conductive got in there.

Honestly, if you’re concerned about it happening again, I’d just throw a piece of kapton tape over it.

2 Likes