EU Shipping estimate

Hi @matteo_becchis! :wave: - Welcome to the forum :blush:

If you are able to, I’d wait a bit more. FW seems to be readying up new countries and as popular as Italy is I have no doubt it’ll be on the new couple roll-outs! :orange_heart:

There still seems to be a bit of an issue with quality control on FW’s end so having to send back the laptop (or parts) is highly unlikely but not impossible, and with a country not being supported that would mean having to use a forwarding service again to RMA the parts / laptop.

That’s only my opinion though, and if you haven’t already: read some other stories about forwarding the FW laptop here~

Hope this helps! :blush:

2 Likes

Thanks @Cheese for the comprehensive reply!!

Yeah, in the end, I think I am in fact going to wait for FW to reach Italy as well, as the wait might be shorter than I expected.

Checking the Marketplace, in fact, I saw there are several keyboard layouts that are “coming soon”, including the Italian one (not that I will be buying it as I am used to a US layout), which I don’t see why they would be developing/adding to the website if not to appease a future Italian market.

Hopefully, 2023 will be the year we get to buy it here as well!!! :grin: :grin:

2 Likes

Not sure if you would be able to place an order for a new machine built with a US keyboard layout. Based on other things I’ve read, the order page is regionalized. You may have to purchase a US layout separately.
Best wishes to you.

1 Like

@matteo_becchis Yep! I’m waiting too. The Belgian keyboard also states ‘coming soon’ so I’ll be a happy FW user once they release to my region. :blush:

1 Like

Hey, thanks for your pointer (I’m Italian too, hence the interest). Do you have any pointer on the “readying”? I know this question was asked one thousand times in one thousand forms, but I would like to just understand by “readying” you have in mind more “1/2 months” or “1/2 years”… and on what basis.

Ten months have passed already since the FW has been first available for preorder in EU (UK, DE and FR)… and I have not found any even vague estimate of what’s next.

1 Like

@Pietro_Battiston

Welcome to the community, no worries at all I’ll try to provide some sources! :blush:

First of all, this is all guess-work based on facts so try to not take everything seriously, or better take your own conclusions out of my sources :orange_heart:

The new keyboard skews.
Framework has made a forum post to ask the community for keyboard Q/C so they don’t get anything wrong.

Source 1: Request: Review of Italian, Spanish (Spain), and Chinese (Traditional) keyboards
Source 2: Request: Review of Korean, Belgian, Japanese, and Latin American keyboards

Spinning up
Unlike what we’ve seen in the first 2 years, the company seems te be coming out with products way faster than before. They developed and sold out of ethernet expansion cards, launched the Chromebook Edition, partnered with Blue Tide, moved into a new office and probably more behind the scenes! They’re also hiring new people.

Source 1 (New office): https://twitter.com/FrameworkPuter/status/1570203352071536641
Source 2 (Sold out): https://twitter.com/FrameworkPuter/status/1569859445991292928
Source 3 (Blue Tide): https://twitter.com/FrameworkPuter/status/1564345689840111616
Source 4 (Chromebook Ed.): Framework | Introducing the Framework Laptop Chromebook Edition
Source 5 (New hire): The two Firmware Engineer roles have been filled? - #11 by nrp
Source 6 (Broadening shipping locations): Framework | Manufacturing starts on the new Framework Laptop in Taiwan

Time
We haven’t really seen what time it took between planning and roll-out but if we base ourselves of the Australian release I’d guess Q1 2023? Maybe if we’re lucky they’ll allow pre-ordering in the holiday season, although they would need a lot of stock to do this, so I’m guessing that’s not going to happen.

However, we’re talking like months, maybe one year? - Q1 -Q2 2023 is my presumption.

Source 1: Now available for pre-order in Australia

Maybe we’ll get 13th gen or an AMD or ARM version by then? (I would absolutely love an ARM version)

Hope this helps! :blush:

1 Like

Thanks for your extensive reply. To be honest, at least some of the elements you cite had turned me more pessimistic than optimistic - like they are just focusing on other stuff rather than on expanding the set of countries (the Chromebook does not even ship to the EU countries where the laptop does!) But anyway, thanks for the detailed list. I guess I will keep my fingers crossed… a bit more, then give up.

Sorry to bring this topic back up but I’m still confused why there is no shipping to any country in the EU, let alone the world? Just adjust the VAT price for each country and shipping cost and send it. Someone mentioned cars but that’s comparing apples to oranges. And again, that doesn’t make it impossible either. If you want a Mercedes delivered to you from Germany to Spain, they will send it to you. Yes it will cost a lot more, but Mercedes won’t stop you from buying their car. And if some service repair had to be done we still have to mail it anyway, there isn’t a Framework store to bring it to. So what is it?

Edit: My only theory is it’s related to limited supply. I guess somehow it saves money on logistics if you focus on shipping to countries with highest demand first? It doesn’t make sense to me, only where to base a warehouse. But since 7 countries in Europe (6 in the EU) can receive Frameworks now, then I’m guessing there aren’t 7 warehouses.

2 Likes

Yep, the problem seems to be undoubtedly the limited supply.
It is to be expected, for a “small” company like FW to not have yet a fluent manufacturing operation as that needs A LOT of money.

That being said, I am growing impatient for the shipment to open up here as well. Personally, I am going to wait until the end of the year/ Q1 2023.

After that, FW will take my money whether they have opened shipment or not…

1 Like

I got my laptop in Slovenia! But it wasn’t easy, I didn’t want to use a proxy since they mentioned you loose warranty in this case.

So I got a friend, who has a friend that works in Austria to order it for me and brought it to Slovenia when he went home for a visit :grin: I guess this is still a valid order that doesn’t break warranty conditions?

In any case I hope I won’t need it and I’m super happy for my new lappy :partying_face:

2 Likes

Still waiting on availability in belgium.
I even willing to tolerate french keyboard and order from france and pay for extra shipment, but not possible.
Why do you guys hate belgian, I mean I get it, belgium sucks, gouvernament and justice system is as corrupt as a 3rd world country and we are beeing bleed dry by taxes, but there are nice people, mainly me, I want to buy a framework laptop and advise them to all my customers and finally bring repairability and upgradeability back

4 Likes

@Wim_Piron
:rofl:

Just found this thread and wanted to ask something:

I’m based in Italy but I’m currently living in France until April, so I was thinking about getting a framework here.
What worries me is the lack of support once I go back to Italy and the impossobility of buying new pieces and upgrades. I do have friends in The Netherlands that could receive and send them to me… So i’m wondering if it would worthy or not lol

Well, you can find your answer here.

Well, I’m still living in France.
So I think I could get one, and hope they will start shipping to Italy if I need any support :’)

Do you guys know if they have mentioned anything about Spain ? I live here and have been wanting to purchase a laptop since the announcement but I haven’t heard anything.
I could use a forwarding service from France but I don’t mind waiting since this would be a secondary computer. But still, would be nice to have an estimate or some official comment on when it’s arriving (if it does) to Spain.

Framework has said that they are working on region expansion, but they haven’t announced which countries. It’s a complicated process for each country with many steps that could cause it to be delayed, so you probably won’t hear even an estimate (or even a yes or no) until they’re ready to launch. Make sure that you’ve registered your interest on the website by selecting your region, as that’s part of how they’re prioritizing regions. It should give you an option to sign up for notifications about your region as well, I believe.

Please note that Framework does not support freight forwarding to unsupported countries as they do not have the authority to sell or ship their products to any countries/regions outside of their officially supported country/region list located here: What countries and regions do you ship to?. If individuals proceed by entering invalid/incorrect billing information, their order will be subject to cancellation/refund, and their payment method may be subject to blacklist. If the order does proceed, they are acknowledging that Framework is not responsible for anything that may happen as a result of not utilizing Framework’s direct shipping to a supported country/region, and that they are fully accountable for any additional costs incurred, or documentation required. Additional information can be found in the Framework Terms of Sale and the Framework Limited Warranty documentation. As discussion of freight forwarding is prohibited, any further discussion of it will be closed and locked.

4 new countries opening preorders “this summer”!

… and 3 are in EU: Belgium, Italy and Spain (the other one is Taiwan).

Has there been any information regarding the release in Belgium? I’m actually in need of a new laptop and I would love to get a Framework.

Yes. As @Pietro_Battiston linked above, Belgium will roll out later this year.

1 Like