Framework Desktop Case Adapter

Hey Guys,

I just published something I thought some people might find useful. If you have an old ATX or Micro-ATX case you can use the following mounts to mount your mainboard inside the case.

23 Likes

Wow, thanks, I’ve been waiting for something like this!

1 Like

I figured this would be a pretty quick easy mod that many people might find useful

2 Likes

Hey, wanted to say thanks for this.

I am converting a mainboard into a desktop form factor with a custom cooling solution.

I initially thought of just printing the 3D case framework provided with a cutout for a cooler similar to an desktop Intel stock cooler, plus a mount for an ethernet port.

I decided to try doing mATX/ATX with a small water loop with a 120mm Rad, see how janky and hacky it becomes. ^^" Maybe could 3D print a case like that 2018 Digital Storm case.

2 Likes

Glad you find it useful!

2 Likes

Awesome design and thanks for publishing.

Any material recommendation for printing from you? Under long high CPU loads there is a decent amount of heat creep to the case on my laptop. I imagine standard PLA might sag under continuous mechanical load with ~60C being applied to it. PETG might be good to ~75C or so. Annealed PLA might be good enough if you can do it carefully enough to not get any dimensional change. Or would it need higher heat tolerant materials like ApolloX?

1 Like

Would be interested to know this myself as I would be looking to print it soon. Any idea from the rest?

I print all of my parts out of ASA/ABS. The highest temp I’ve heard people hitting was around 95c which is a little above the reflection temp of ASA but it’s peak and not sustained plus there is a small air gap between the board and the adapter so it should hold fine.

1 Like

Thanks! Will try some experiments once I got my Framework mainboard.

1 Like

Good thing, I wonder if Framework will make a “first party” version (directly to buy) of a similar adapter, seems very useful.
For, this adapter, making, the framework mainboard compatible with most PC cases, that exist.

Hey all, I’ve wanted a version of this that could mount the battery as well, so I’ve made a remix!

https://www.printables.com/model/639595-framework-micro-atx-mainboard-battery-adapter

1 Like

Liked and bookmarked, both here and on Printables!

Thanks.

Thanks! I realized I had an oversight though and updated it with a v2 STL.

The oversight was not leaving any room for the ATX screw heads to exist under the battery… The battery is now raised by 3mm to leave room.

3 Likes

this is awesome

I would buy this in s heartbeat… these machines can make great home lab servers.

I wasn’t able to find a backplane print for this mount. @whatthefilament did you end up making one?