Framework Laptop Alternative Screens

It sure doesn’t, the only relevant pin here is BIST_en and it’s explicitly 3.3v, the rest of the 1.8v pins it has on mine are entirely missing here, hell this whole pin-out is different.

Well it’s just a random screen I found on Panelook… so not much use anyway as it’s the wrong ratio and as such wrong size. Shame Samsung seems to just use whatever pinout they fancy!

What about the ATNA33AA series from Samsung… on Panelook but can’t find a data sheet for them but they are the right ratio but a smidge smaller - 13.3 as opposed to 13.5.

(Just realised it’s likely similar to the HP Spectre screen) I’ve asked a few suppliers on AliBaba for the data sheet… we shall see!

I can’t see the dimensions so that’s a maybe.

Also 60hz is kind of a bummer, the 90hz vrr capable 2k oled in the thinkpad is really pretty much exactly what I want, appart from the triangular subpixels but I can probably live with that.

Just to add to the list, this 7 inch display for the LattePanda Sigma matches the output from the stock Framework eDP cable (i.e. after they get rearranged inside the cable). Obviously won’t fit in the stock chassis, but for people working with mainboard builds, might be useful!

(feel free to check my work: Framework display pinout v. LattePanda Sigma 7inch pinout)

3 Likes

Sounds great for building a FrameDeck. :smiley:

2 Likes

UPDATE:

I now have the LattePanda display in hand, and was wrong about the pinouts matching up. Hilariously, (1) the display-side connector of the stock Framework eDP cable (i.e. output) matches the board-side connector of the LattePanda Sigma (i.e. also output), and (2) the board-side connector of the LattePanda eDP cable (i.e. input) matches the display-side connector on the stock Framework display (i.e. also input). This means that I can connect the Framework mainboard to the LattePanda Sigma or the stock Framework display to the LattePanda Display, neither of which are particularly useful configurations.

All that said, you can still get the ‘Framework mainboard into LattePanda display’ configuration to work as follows:

Framework Mainboard → Framework eDP cable → first IPEX 20455-040E → second IPEX 20455-040E → LattePanda eDP cable → LattePanda display

Note that chaining together the first and second IPEX connectors requires a custom PCB. Will try to design one this week!

3 Likes

I’m sorry to revive this thread. A better, more responsive solution has already been found? I see that all of you are trying to get an OLED, which is nice. But I would be good with a decent responsive ups, 90hz would be even cooler.

Has this:

Any chance?

I too would like to simply get a higher refresh rate (90Hz would suffice), keeping all other parameters the same as the current matte display.

1 Like

Hey all, I went down a rabbit hole into looking for an alternative screen for my framework 13 as I find the laptop screen currently is not bright enough for my use. The bad news is that given the unusual dimensions used, there are not that many options

Based on the OP in this thread, the problem I see is this:

1. You need to use a 40-pin, 4-lane connector type, which narrows the option (that is not BOE, ie framework’s current panels) to 1
  2. I’m not sure how compatible 50-pin is, I’m not good enough at this to figure it out. If somehow this is compatible, we can theoretically use this too.
  3. You need to fit the dimensions, and one thing that affects this is the slim / bent / etc connector

So, from this, you can see that if we were to stick to the same dimensions, we really only have one alternative option. To have more options that fit, we need to go down sizes to maybe 13.3 or lower. At this point lower size point, there are some LCD and OLED options but this will take some additional wrangling.

I’m thinking of reaching out to the supplier of the one alternative. I do see MOQs listed (usually 20) but I’ll try anyway.

Which alternative are you referring to? This? https://www.panelook.com/VVX14P048M00_Panasonic_13.5_LCM_parameter_26207.html

This is likely the only option:

The one you indicated has 50 pins

Ah my bad. Do let us know how you get on.

I’m only aware of one person using an entirely different panel via a 30 to 40 eDP adapter: 40pin eDP (Framework/4Lane) to 30pin eDP(2 lane) - #8 by Dylan_Evans

Personally I’m interested in a higher ppi density panel. Perhaps something could be wrangled with that 50 pin panel.

Thanks for the link - I’m pretty used to tinkering with PCs but fairly noob-y when it comes to laptop connectors and hardware, so really not sure whether to go that far.

I like dark mode and the glossy screen but this is really problematic when there is outside light, so hopefully this screen works.

Will report back once i have the parts and get to try. To the framework team, I couldn’t find spare eDP connectors for Framework 13 on your marketpalce. Could you please make some available?

An update from my above post: I have now received one of the 2 screens I choose to buy (the other one was a wrong model sent by the retailer). In short, it works - I will post my updates on a new post

2 Likes

Great to hear! Looking forward to it.

I’ve created a new post / topic here in case anyone is curious:

1 Like

To @Gabriele_Turelli_Cap @Matthew_Quarisa and others who want to try with 90Hz refresh rate, the mate 13s screen is indeed the best option BUT i don’t have the details of the connector to know if this can be a drop in replacement. This is the (relatively bare) Panelook info for the screen:
TIANMA TL134GDXP02-0 Overview - Panelook.com

with that resolution/framerate and no touch (and not oled) it is very likely to be the de-facto standard 4-lane no touch 40pin pinout, if they used the the large or the small connector and if it is in a convenient place is a whole different question though.

I don’t think this a given, as even though the connector may be 40-pin, I’ve noticed that there are many different types of connectors. I am not sure if the other connector types are compatible with the 20455-040E-02 connector. If anyone is willing to buy and maybe test out the connector, that would be great.

The supplier listed on Panelook has an MOQ of 2, so maybe splitting the cost between multiple people may be an option. Each screen is likely to cost around 70 - 100 eur per screen. I paid 80 for one and 110 for another.

I’m personally looking for screens with similar contrast ratio but higher brightness as working with glossy screens with 400 nits screens is impossible when there are bight reflections on the screen. Unfortunately, the next jump after 450 (which is what I have now) are only Sharp screens, and they all use some weird 50-pin connector.

If anyone is reading this and has some experience with designing custom connectors, drivers, cnc, 3D printing, etc and would like to work together on this, please feel free to ping me. I have no experience in designing, sourcing and manufacturing custom hardware but this would be a great project to work on. I think once we start looking for screens with different aspect ratios, sizes, there is a need to start customising both the aluminium chassis and / or the top plastic cover