Framework Tablet lite project (10.5" version of FW tablet)

It would likely be a function of the airflow design so it happening on 2 different boards would be somewhat expected.

Pretty sure you get different power profiles with and without battery so the one without battery may just be gentler on the power delivery.

Yeah but now the airflow is good, everything is like an open testbench in a pretty cold room, also when the CPU is running at 400 MHz for 10 minutes, VRM should have cooled down long ago and immediately after I unplug the battery, that very second it jumps to 3 GHz range again.

It might latch on overheat.

You are unplugging the battery while running?! Pretty sure you are not supposed to do that.

Anyway, vrm overheat is just one possible source of prochot that is somewhat non-obvious because you usually don’t get access to the sensors.

1 Like

Well I am probably not supposed to do that, but I don’t think it can damage anything, I don’t do it regularly but it seemed a like a good step for diagnostic. I changed the board, so anything on the board is very unlikely - what is the chance of having 2 boards with the same issue?

What I transferred: RAM, SSD, Windows 11 installation , battery and peripherals. Assuming it’s nothing on the board, peripherals are easy to test, it can be maybe some faulty driver, RAM overheating but I can measure that with IR thermometer (it isn’t), SSD overheating (it isn’t) and battery overheating. That was the most likely cause as the battery was placed where it could get warm. So I went for the most likely cause and unplugged the battery and it stopped. If it were VRM, they would cool down in seconds after switching to 400 MHz.

If something is overheating because of the airflow design it could happen with different boards.

Asuming prochot isn’t latching yes.

I am asuming replugging the power supply doesn’t snap it out of 400mhz?

Interesting. I am working on something that actually has the mainboard stacked on top of the battery (not touching of course and with a piece of silicon in-between to act as a heat break.) I am very mindful of the temps and have throttled Windows a lot in an effort to keep the temperature down. I have been using it like this for about 2 months now and have had zero issues.

13th Gen i7 and 61WH battery.

1 Like