FW16 Batch 19 Guild

Here are my order details:

• Ryzen 9 7940HS
  • Both AMD Radeon™ RX 7700S & Expansion Bay: Expansion Bay Shell
  • WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X (BYO)
  • Crucial RAM 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR5 5200MT/s (BYO)
  • Black Bezel
  • 2x Black Spacers
  • 2x LED Matrix
  • Expansion Cards:
    • 2x USB-C
    • 1x USB-A
    • 1x HDMI
    • 1x Display Port
    • 1x Ethernet
    • 1x Audio Port
    • 1x MicroSD

I may have gotten a tad overexcited with the expansion card possibilities :sweat_smile:. I will certainly be looking into various storage options for unused cards! Any tips are appreciated :smile:

I’m happy to see other batches getting their laptops sooner and sooner as time goes on; it seems like the Framework team is really working hard! It could just be wishful thinking to assume that our batch could be shipped before July 24, but it’s also not out of the realm of possibility.

Here’s my order:

• Ryzen 9 7940HS
  • Both AMD Radeon™ RX 7700S & Expansion Bay Shell
  • BYO M.2
  • BYO RAM
  • Black Bezel
  • 2x Black Spacers
  • Expansion Cards:
    • 2x USB-C
    • 2x USB-A
    • 1x HDMI
    • 1x AUX

If anyone’s curious, I have a PCPartPicker list with parametric filters for storage and memory in case anything goes on sale. I’ll include a link below:
Here

I work in the automotive field, so it’s such a relief to have the option of repairing the laptop when it gets inevitably damaged. I do hope that Framework releases a touchscreen display for the FW16 sometime in the near future as I know the motherboard already has support for it.

Oh right here are mine:

• Ryzen 7 7840HS & Expansion Bay Shell
  • DDR5-5600 - 16GB (2 x 8GB)
  • WD_BLACK™ SN770 NVMe™- M.2 2280 - 1TB
  • Keyboard: US English
  • Black Bezel
  • 2x Gray spacers
  • Expansion Cards:
    – 3x usb A
    – 3x usb C
    – 1x HDMI

Nothing special but it’ll be great for school, work, and tinkering which is all I need to be happy.

Maybe it’s because I’ve had nvidia for the past few, but I’m tired of dealing with dGPU’s in laptops so I’m appreciative of the option to withhold it. Not really planning on gaming on this anyhow.

Thought I’d join in because why not:

• Ryzen 7 7840HS
  • AMD Radeon™ RX 7700S
  • DDR5-5600 - 32GB (32 x 1) - G.Skill Ripjaws
  • Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus
  • Keyboard: US English
  • Black Bezel
  • Numpad Module
  • Expansion Cards:
    – 1x usb A
    – 1x usb C
    – 1x HDMI
    – 1x Ethernet
    – 1x DisplayPort
    – 1x Audio Expansion Card

I didn’t want just 1 RAM stick, but I just left it at 1 in case I do need more RAM for some reason in the future. Had to get a laptop for travel for work and I’m hoping it can work for streaming on lower settings than my main pc. Wanted something that I can upgrade easily in the future so I don’t have to buy a laptop every 5 years to keep up with newer games on top of streaming. I do think I should probably buy another USB A expansion card now that I think about it…

Looking forward to getting my new laptop

Honestly not that much reason to go that high, I do video editing and photoshop as well as game a lot but its mostly cause it’s cool lol. I am assuming ddr5 will be around for at least a couple more years so why not? the fw16 is my endgame laptop afterall…

basically cause i felt like it

I regularly get the almost out of memory warning from windows with 64. My desktop gets it once in awhile with 128gb. I run auto desk and a few background apps. And windows, of course will suck down what ever it can. So 96 is minimum for me.

Holy crap… that is insane. I have 64gb and I think I have maybe hit out of memory once or twice with several intense programs running.

Batch 19 member! Order placed on April 8th. Excited to join the community!!

1 Like

Super excited!

Already arrived:
WD_BLACK 4TB SN850X (For Personal OS and VM’s)
SABRENT Rocket 2230 NVMe 4.0 1TB (For work Domain OS)
Crucial 64GB Kit (2x32GB) DDR5
250GB Storage Expansion Card (2nd Gen) (For Parrot OS)

Waiting with much anxiety and excitement:
Ryzen™ 9 7940HS
180W Power Adapter
No GPU
RGB US Eng KB
Black Bezel
Number pad
USB-A
2 x USB-C
MicroSD
Ethernet
HDMI (3rd Gen)

Good morning!

Another Batch 19 groupie here.

Order Date: March 28, 2024

Ryzen 9 7940HS
64GB DDR-5600 RAM
<no power adapter; USB-C GaN or battery charge only>
Radeon RX 7700s Graphics (Games and Xreal Air glasses use)
RGB Clear ANSI keyboard
2x LED Matrix spacers
Black bezel

Expansion Cards:
4x USB-C
1x Micro SD
1x 1TB SSD

Future Options:

• Cooling module to replace graphics to reduce weight and increase battery life.

• RGB Clear macro module for potential gaming or just to look different with clear keys across the whole width of the base. Not sure about how they have the macro module programming currently configured.

• Optional bezel and spacer colors. I like the orange but really want the green or in the future an optional darker green.

• Most likely a D-Brand skin (when/if they come out) for overall scuff protection.

No 2280 or 2230 NVMe drives ordered yet. Looking for the best single-sided, best performing low heat generating pair from same manufacturer. My first choice would have been Samsung 990 Pro if they had a 2230 model to go with it. Not the lowest thermal model but I love their Magician software. Second choice may be the Sabrent Rocket since I can get both sizes and Sabrent at least makes a utility. I have tried the Corsair 2230 and it does fine but I have not found a utility for Corsair drives yet. Easy to find data performance info but hard to locate thermal data to complete my research. Solidigm P44 2280 and a Solidigm 2230 are not out of the question either.

I love the idea of a modular laptop and am glad that FrameWork finally fill the niche. I had an idea like this a few years ago but like most of my ideas I don’t know how to go anywhere with them. Just happy to see good enegineering ideas put to work.

Hopefully we see mid Q2 delivery dates but any time is fine since I’m sitting on four Windows 11 laptops and nine Chromebooks to choose from for my daily mobile needs.

Thanx,
Wio

1 Like

Do you play on installing both the 2280 and the 2230 at the same time or will you start with one and get the other as storage demands require? As far as thermal data goes, the more recent reviews from TechPowerUp include thermal data and power consumption for M.2 drives. I’ve done some research and a lot of people seem to like the Solidigm P44 Pro/SK Hynix Platinum P41 for those two reasons specifically.

-Thomas

PippyT:

To keep from spending unwanted money on a bad 2280 starter w/o knowing a good 2230 match, I will wait and purchase them together. I will review the Hynix Platinum P41 and see if I like that match with the Solidigm P44 as a final set. Thank you for sharing that info!

Thanx,
Wio

Dbrand already offers FW16 skins. Am planning to order one as well.
https://dbrand.com/shop/skins/framework-laptop-16-skins

2 Likes

So, I’m finally (and legally) here in batch 19, with an order from Poland :slight_smile:

Ryzen™ 7 7840HS
180W Power Adapter
No GPU
Keyboard: RGB US English
Black Bezel
USB-A
3 x USB-C
HDMI
2 x DisplayPort
Audio
2 x Extra Spacer: Color shift

When I read “already arrived” I got so excited until I realized it was the ram and storage stuff.

Just joined the batch 19 group. Ordered for work and to test whether it’s a viable option for others at work as we have a strong focus on environmental impact. I ended up going a little crazy with the port options, lol.

Ryzen 9 7940HS
180w Power Adapter
Graphics Module & Expansion Bay Shell
Memory BYO (Orderd Crucial 64GB)
WD_BLACK SN850X NVMe
Keyboard: RGB US English
Bezel - Black
Numpad Module
3x USB-C Expansion Card
3x USB-A Expansion Card
2x HDMI (3rd Gen) Expansion Card
2x DisplayPort (2nd Gen) Expansion Card
Ethernet Expansion Card
Audio Expansion Card
MicroSD Expansion Card

2 Likes

Mine is Batch 19, too! Can’t wait!

Very excited to upgrade to the 16" Framework laptop. Looking to use it to learn more about Linux. Likely going to use Fedora, always open to suggestions.
I have been very impressed with what Framework has accomplished in a few short years.

Ryzen™ 7 7840HS
Ram: planning on 32GB of 5600 considering Crucial ram.
SSD: WD Black SN770 2TB, considering Kioxia 512GB 2230 SSD KBG4AZNS512G or WD SN530 2230 SSD
Expansion Bay Shell
Numpad

Expansion Cards
2 x USB-C
3 x USB-A
250GB SSD (2nd Gen)

1 Like

Anyone have a guess on when we might get our shipping emails? I have heard it’s 4 or so days in between them and batch 10(?) just got them, so that puts us near the end of May. Although, I’m pretty sure I messed up somewhere in that calculation.