FW16 Batch 2 Guild

Nope, no clearance processing yet. It shipped straight from China to Cologne.
I’l check in few hours, if it’s in Paris. It’s currently still showing “On the way” for the status message.

Here are my 2 cents regarding payment and shipping (all times UTC), I’ll update it with significant events :smile:
What probably delayed my order was the blank ISO keyboard :upside_down_face:
But still glad I kept it, I’m one of those typers that uses a weird layout (NEO2), so double the security layer if someone wants to use my device :smile:

Mar. 6th, 15:30 : Card charged (declined + manual triggered payment)
Mar. 7th, 13:41 : Shipment Notification

Mar. 7th, 09:43 : pickup by FedEx
Mar. 7th, 10:00 : Left FedEx origin facility

Mar. 7th, 16:07 : Philippines
Mar. 7th, 18:11 : arrived in China
Mar. 7th, 22:17 : left China

Mar. 12th : Projected Arrival :partying_face:

in between I have an entry from France, where I originally thought that it already arrived in Europe. But I reached out to support; turns out this was just an event-notification for import-clearance. Projected arrival:

Glad to say it arrived today. Luckily FedEx seemed to handle the box quite well, no real damage to it.
The laptop feels really well made, and I love the design of it. The Blank Ansi keyboard looks a lot better than in the pictures. Unfortunately my ram and SSD haven’t arrived yet, so I can’t play around with it.

Shipping log is as following:
March 6th, 01:00: Card charged
March 6th, 11:42: Shipment notification
March 6th, 13:54: Left Taiwan
March 6th, 16:53: In the Philippines
March 6th, 19:00: Arrived in China
March 7th, 11:48: Arrived in Cologne, Germany
March 7th, 17:25: In Paris for Customs clearance
March 7th, 22:00: In Cologne again
March 8th, 05:09: In local distribution center
March 8th, 09:48: Delivered!

4 Likes

I received my FW 16 via FedEx on Friday just before noon! Original predicted arrival would’ve been Monday. The box definitely had been hitting something a little bit and small parts of the corner tape seemingly had cuts into it but overall it arrived safely. Their tracker seemingly glitched out after arrival wrt clearance process :laughing:

My configuration includes the 7940HS, both the 7700S and the expansion bay shell, 1x Ethernet Exp., 1x Audio Exp., 1x DP 2nd Gen card, 2xHDMI 3rd Gen Exp., 2x USB-C Exp., 2x USB-A Exp., Intl. English Linux keyboard, black bezel, EU 180W adapter, and the Numpad module. The Audio expansion seemingly was one too many since it was not slotted in the same place as the other expansions in the packaging and was just packed in somewhere else :smile:

The total weight in my hands is impressive! Near immediately got to unpacking it, love the art, stickers and patch that came with it! Putting the components in, I was basically able to do it almost all the way without even having to look at the manual, just needed the manual to make sure I didn’t miss anything. The numpad lighting did not sync but it seems that’s expected as that’s not done by the keyboard itself, so nothing missing, everything went smoothly. :smile: Everything is already up and running with Arch Linux btw and it feels really nice to use so far. A lot of the initial woes I saw getting dropped in reviews including the keyboard and screen flex seem either non-existent or really exaggerated so it seems a lot of fixing the laptop was still done before this batch went out at least.

Edit: Initially, the keyboard seemed to drop some inputs if pressed lightly but re-seating it seems to have solved the issue.

Shipping log (CEST):

March 5th
?:?? PM - Card was charged, no notification mail received about it

March 6th
11:41 AM - Framework shipment notification mail received
7:39 PM - Picked up by FedEx, expected arrival says Monday
7:54 PM - Left origin facility
11:53 PM - On the way in Philippines

March 7th
2:00 AM - Arrived in China
5:16 AM - Left China hub
11:48 AM - Arrived in Cologne, Germany
1:12 PM - Left Germany
5:26 PM - Reported as on the way in France, seemingly for clearance
5:52 PM - International shipment release
9:06 PM - Left France
9:53 PM - Arrived in Cologne, Germany

March 8th
1:00 AM - Left Cologne
7:42 AM - Arrived in local distribution center, expected arrival now says Friday
10:59 AM - Delivered

March 9th
2:57 AM - Clearance in progress reported from France???

1 Like

Was supposed to be delivered yesterday but seems to be delayed for who knows how long…

Curious. Did it say “out for delivery” yesterday too? I haven’t yet seen a carrier say that and the package didn’t arrive that day.

It did not say out for delivery yesterday. The last update it gave me was that it was leaving the Memphis hub on Thursday

Huh. Most delivery companies charge extra for weekend deliveries. Maybe they’d waive that since it’s “running late”?

All I can suggest is the oh-so-useful “it might arrive today, or it might not.” :stuck_out_tongue: Sorry.

1 Like

I might call their support line later today to see what’s going on. Hopefully they’ll give me some kind of information.

Batch 2’ers. Having had your laptops for a while now what’s the experience like.

For me, excellent, have done my first SSD upgrade 500 GB → 4TB.
Have gotten dual boot working perfectly, including scaling of the grub menu.
Have updated firmware and OS versions (F39 → F40).
Have changed my wallpaper to the @Dbrand seabreeze.

Waiting for the @dbrand skin and have asked if they can do a skin that covers the entire touchbar area in one piece.

Ah, maybe I haven’t figured it out yet because I’m Batch 3 so I’m just behind? Any tips? None of the config file stuff seems to stick when it comes to font size.

Mine was in Anchorage for 25 hours.

for the boot menu i use these lines in /etc/default/grub

GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT=“gfxterm”
GRUB_GFXMODE=1920x1200

then run

grub2-mkconfig > /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

The keyboard occasionally “dies” … Annoying but either the pi (i am assuming it is the rpi) reboots itself or i reboot the computer to fix the problem …

This might be an issue with the OS putting the USB slot to sleep. In the OS the Framework internal keyboard is listed as a generic HID USB device so it might be put to sleep if not used for a few minutes.
Make sure this is not the case, otherwise I never had any issue with the keyboard “dying”.

Yeah … that can’t really be the case since it happens when I am using the keyboard … another anomaly I noticed is that the Bluetooth/Wifi module sometimes also gets disconnected … I saw in the “Device Manager” that there was a driver problem … I just “Turned it off/Turned it on” and worked after that … kinda of annoying …

I’ll try to remember the “Device Manager” if the keyboard happens again to see if it is a USB thing …

You probably already did it, but make sure you have the driver package installed, and that it’s up to date. Same with the BIOS.
Otherwise keep an eye on the device manager and system info logs to determine what might be the cause of this, if nothing works out contact Support with the information you gathered and state the issue there, it might be a hardware issue if it’s persistent.