FYI: Using bottom posting (using `>`) when mailing Framework support does not work

While e-mailing with Framework support a few weeks ago, I had problems getting my messages across - support kept receiving empty e-mails from me. After some debugging, we discovered that using bottom/interleaved posting with > caused this issue. Support has passed this on internally, so hopefully it will be fixed on their side (maybe already is), but in case that takes a while, I just wanted to share this in case it saves others some time and mystery :‐)

As an example, suppose I wrote support a mail, they send me a reply, and I reply to their reply. My reply might look something like this:

Hi support,

> Your problem seems related to your McGuffin, could you check if your Flux Capacitor does work?

I’ve checked the capacitor, it works perfectly fine.

Regards,

Matthijs

However, it seems that when support gets the above email, they see only:

Hi support

In other words, the first > line and everything after it (including non-quotes) is stripped. I suspect that their support system hides or completely strips the quoted email below, which makes some sense when people use the (IMHO unproductive but unfortunately now pretty standard approach, probably because most mailclients make interleaving hard to do with all that modern HTML-mail bullshit. Get off my lawn!) top-posting approach, but it makes bottom or interleaved posting completely broken.

For now, I’ve solved it (without resorting to top-quoting) by simply using ] as the quote character, i.e. send:

Hi support,

] Your problem seems related to your McGuffin, could you check if your Flux Capacitor does work?

I’ve checked the capacitor, it works perfectly fine.

Regards,

Matthijs

Which seems to work fine.

(also note that I first suspected the problem was GPG-signed multipart mails or text/plain vs text/html, but it turned out neither of those were related)

6 Likes