[GUIDE] OpenSUSE Tumbleweed on the AMD Ryzen Framework

tl;dr It mostly works out of the box.

Step 1: Install OpenSUSE as usual. Wifi, suspend, and function keys work out of the box.

Tip: On the Installation Summary screen, just before the installation of OpenSUSE starts, you can click on the “Security” heading, and then set “PolicyKit” to “Easy”. This will mean less password prompts, e.g. no passwords asked when you update your system through KDE Discover.

Step 2: Set up power-profiles-daemon (Framework recommends this over tlp for the AMD model for non-specified reasons). OpenSUSE will come with tlp out of the box

• Option 1 (GUI): Yast → Yast Software → search for power-profiles-daemon → right-click and “Install” → Accept. Installing power-profiles-daemon will automatically suggest uninstalling tlp, so agree with that.
  • Option 2 (CLI): enter sudo zypper install power-profiles-daemon in the terminal, and it will notice the incompatibility with tlp and suggest either removing it or keeping it and cancelling the installation. So go with the former option.
  • Option 3 (during initial install): On the Installation Summary screen, just before the installation of OpenSUSE starts, you can click on the “Software” heading, then click on “Details” and you’ll end up with the Yast Software application like in Option 1.

Step 3: Set up fingerprints.

• First, I had to update the firmware. I’m Batch 4 (Q4 2023) so potentially this won’t be needed in later batches. You can follow the guide here. fwupd is already preinstalled on OpenSUSE.
    In short, you only have to copy paste this into your terminal:
    wget https://github.com/FrameworkComputer/linux-docs/raw/main/goodix-moc-609c-v01000330.cab && sudo fwupdtool install --allow-reinstall --allow-older goodix-moc-609c-v01000330.cab
    Ignore the transfer error at the end and reboot.
  • Second, set up your fingerprints. In KDE Settings, this can be found in User → Configure Fingerprint Authentication. In Gnome Settings, it is in User → Fingerprint Login.
  • If you run GNOME or KDE Plasma 6 (coming soon) then fingerprints should automatically work for unlocking the lock screen. If you are running KDE Plasma 5 you need to follow these steps to enable unlocking the lock screen with your fingerprint.

Note: Fingerprints do not work for the initial user login after a reboot nor for the authentication for tasks requiring root privileges such as sudo or or Yast

6 Likes

Another fellow TW user! Thanks for the guide, I think I’ll look into the power profiles daemon thingy.

How’s battery for you? I’m quite disappointed TBH, idling at no less than 6-7W which is A LOT compared to the 3-4W I was getting on an 11th gen Intel XPS 13 (same OS).

Thanks

I can definitely confirm that it is possible to idle a lot lower than 6w on the amd framework (I doubt 10% more display is pulling 3 extra watts here) so there may be some software issue on your side.

I can’t comment myself on the battery use as I mostly use it plugged it on my desk. I had it on standby over night with tons of programs opened* and the next morning (~16 hours later) the battery was down to 87%. So the battery should last >5 days on standby.

*someone else here mentioned that this will drain more energy during standby but I’m not sure if it’s true

@FrameworkSupport I would be interested in an explanation why power-profiles-daemon is preferred to tlp on the AMD version.

Hi Adrian,
I have just installed tumbleweed and left it as-is. Have you done something specific to tune battery life?

Thanks

Running arch myself but apart from running default tlp I didn’t do much.

1 Like

With yesterday’s snapshot (20231129) I get a black screen at boot and a flashing CAPS LOCK led.

I reverted to a previous snapshot and all is good again, but I wonder if I’m the only one. I have the 7840U.

Works on my machine ™

I’m on the 20231129 snapshot without issues.

Thanks, will give it another try :slight_smile:

Edit: updated again and it worked fine, go figure. Maybe they pushed an updated package between my two attempts, who knows…

Some of the feature are not yet working, I am using version: 20231202.

wirless connection quality
After installation bluetooth and wireless were working well, even though the wireless connection does not show full 4 bars as in e.g. windows 11 at the same place 3m away from the wifi antenna.

bluetooth
I have connected a BT mouse and keyboard, and after a few reboots and updates bluetooth is not working any more.
bluetoothctl list does not show a controller, and with plasma KDE I cannot enable bluetooth anymore, but lsusb shows the device:
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0e8d:e616 MediaTek Inc. Wireless_Device

# systemctl status bluetooth
● bluetooth.service - Bluetooth service
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service; enabled; preset: disabled)
     Active: active (running) since Mon 2023-12-04 17:32:10 CET; 1h 2min ago
       Docs: man:bluetoothd(8)
   Main PID: 996 (bluetoothd)
      Tasks: 1 (limit: 4915)
        CPU: 33ms
     CGroup: /system.slice/bluetooth.service
             └─996 /usr/libexec/bluetooth/bluetoothd

Dez 04 17:32:10 localhost bluetoothd[996]: src/plugin.c:plugin_init() System does not support csip plugin
Dez 04 17:32:10 localhost bluetoothd[996]: profiles/audio/micp.c:micp_init() D-Bus experimental not enabled
Dez 04 17:32:10 localhost bluetoothd[996]: src/plugin.c:plugin_init() System does not support micp plugin
Dez 04 17:32:10 localhost bluetoothd[996]: src/plugin.c:plugin_init() System does not support vcp plugin
Dez 04 17:32:10 localhost bluetoothd[996]: src/plugin.c:plugin_init() System does not support mcp plugin
Dez 04 17:32:10 localhost bluetoothd[996]: src/plugin.c:plugin_init() System does not support bass plugin
Dez 04 17:32:10 localhost bluetoothd[996]: src/plugin.c:plugin_init() System does not support bap plugin
Dez 04 17:32:10 localhost bluetoothd[996]: src/plugin.c:plugin_init() System does not support admin plugin
Dez 04 17:32:10 localhost bluetoothd[996]: Bluetooth management interface 1.22 initialized
Dez 04 17:32:10 localhost systemd[1]: Started Bluetooth service.

# dmesg |grep bluetooth
[    3.128710] bluetooth hci0: Direct firmware load for mediatek/BT_RAM_CODE_MT7922_1_1_hdr.bin failed with error -2

Is there anything that I can try?

fingerprint reader → working
There I have installed all necessary tss2 packages, add the user to the group: tss, and tried to download the goodix firmware:

# fwupdtool install --allow-reinstall --allow-older goodix-moc-609c-v01000330.cab 
Decompressing…           [ -                                     ]
generic GUID requires a CHID, child, parent or sibling requirement

After a restart adding fingerprints works now!

During the startup phase directly after showing grub also the messages appear:

• Bluetooth hci0: Failed to load firmware file (-2)
  • Bluetooth hci0: Failed to set up firmware (-2)

I have checked the folder: /lib/firmware/mediatek/ and there are some binaries compressed with xz:

• /lib/firmware/mediatek/BT_RAM_CODE_MT7922_1_1_hdr.bin.xz
  • /lib/firmware/mediatek/WIFI_MT7922_patch_mcu_1_1_hdr.bin.xz
  • /lib/firmware/mediatek/WIFI_RAM_CODE_MT7922_1.bin.xz

It seems to be related to this files, but I don’t know how this works.

Do you guys have an idea?

Also happened to me. The solution here worked, specifically ran as root:

dracut -f --omit bluetooth --regenerate-all

Dunno what’s the underlying problem, though.

2 Likes

Thank you Bundyo, that was it! It seems like the complete HW works now.

I am happy now. :wink:

2 Likes

Yes , now the fingerprints also work at the first login and with sudo in the console :slight_smile:

Does anyone have it on Intel Framework? And is it okay to do sudo zypper refresh && sudo zypper update everyday?

I have the system AMD Ryzen™ 5 7640U version. And yes, every day sudo zypper dup.:wink:

2 Likes

Oh nice, what changed?

No idea, Gnome or Kernel updates?

So it looks like Opensuse has not updated to PPD 0.2 yet which includes a bunch of the AMD improvements that @Mario_Limonciello has mentioned in other threads. They have 0.2 under experimental, but when i tried to install it from here: openSUSE Software

It seems like it fails to run. Is there some other dependency i need or something?