How's everyone's [55Wh] battery health and wear looking?

Mine is at 12% wear after use since February of this year.

Sounds like maybe a batch 8 :slight_smile:

You can try and recalibrate the system via a full discharge and recharge, however you do not detail your use case so 12% may be reasonable or not.

Win10 Pro Batch 6 11th gen here.

I used it fully on-charge at no cap for a month or so, capped at 80 and fully on-charge for around six months, and then the past few months back at no cap with daily on-battery use.

SleepStudy says my effective capacity is 94%, so I’m very impressed. I typically get 6 hours of note taking/web browsing and then charge it back up for some more use before leaving it charging overnight. The battery life itself has been pretty consistent in that respect, but I’d still be first in line to buy a drop-in battery upgrade.

1 Like

So my battery wear has taken a pretty drastic turn the past few months. My batch 4 1135 running Win 11 went from 4% to 2% from last October to this August, but the end of September gave me 7%, which I think is fine and within likely error, but today it checked in at 12.1%. I did a calibration 5%-100% charge the last few checks to try to be consistent. Anyone else have “sudden” wear like this?

I haven’t checked on a consistent basis like @amoun and can’t say how many cycles I’ve been through, but my use (4-6 hours on battery workdays) hasn’t changed drastically.

1 Like

Hi I’ve noticed it can take a few days to settle in.

What is the current charge limit and have you always had the same limit.

I also notice that ‘usually’ in the mornings, when the battery has cooled and recovered it has a lower reading.

I’m using Win 11 HWinFo64 and have no idea of how the measurements are taken and worked on ??

As my previous post containing data has become uneditable here is my latest offering. There is no clear understanding of why, late in November the wear jumped to well over 5%. At one instance it was 5.8 but today has dropped to 4.1

29th Nov Just after updating to BIOS 3.17 and the wear now reads 5.0 ??

5th Dec Changed charge limit from 78 to 100 to 78 and cycles increased by 1

**UPDATED: 24th Dec

December 2022** Battery 10- months old

The blip around the 13th Dec :: I’m wondering if the cold weather, as it was only 2 or 3 degrees above freezing for a few night where the laptop was left for some 16 hours a day.

Anyway I accidentally used without power so fully discharged (3%) reset Battery charge limit to 100 and wear has dropped from 5.9 to 4.6

1 Like

Hi this is my final update on ‘my’ battery wear as posts can only be edited for a month and posting more doesn’t seem ‘right’

My laptop and battery are 10 months old and given the latest data the battery hasn’t worn during that time. There are anomalies. Most of the time I use the laptop plugged in after the first couple months, this is where it started to ‘decrease’

I usually use hibernate in Windows on ‘lid close’ however five days ago I was using Ubuntu and closed the lid, which is not set up to hibernate. When I powered on and let the battery charge some 6% back up to it’s preset 78% I checked the wear. I was surprised to see it had dropped 1% ~ effectively taking the wear back to where it was when I received it.

So here is the latest graph as of 30th Jan 2023

This graph will be updated until the end of January when the post will close. As I will not be adding another post, battery wear after 11 months will be found at my Framework site

The graph shows the lowest value for each day. See link above for more readings

Relatively:

• The battery is rated with a wear of 20% after a 1000 cycles or 2% after 100
  • Mine has around 4.5 after 60 equivalent so 375% above expectations.

55Wh (80% capacity after 1000 cycles) Battery Capacity
Framework | Framework Laptop Comparison

What wasn’t specified is the use that can produce such. ??

1 Like

I’ve got around 3% wear on the first 4 days of my usage.
Set my MaxCharge to 80% and let the power be plugged in the whole day.

This is probably to be expected. More to come.

1 Like

Yes on the first day mine showed 3.4% :slight_smile:

I have an 11th gen framework from 11/2021(1.25 years old). My battery stats are:

• 80 cycles
  • capacity of 96.0246%
  • BIOS charge capped at 80%

It’s on 24x7, and most of the time it’s plugged in. The usage is mostly light(web browsing/text editing/email) a couple hours a day.

Everything seems fine so far. I surely worry about the battery far more than I need to. Especially considering it’s so inexpensive and easy to replace if there’s ever a problem with it.

I took the battery out of the laptop to look for a manufacturing date on the bottom(I couldn’t find one). It was securely held in with screws and plastic tabs instead of god awful adhesive. The screws were numbered and captive(impossible to loose). It’s hard to imagine a significantly more user friendly experience!

6 Likes

12th gen i7-1260p here.
After 4 months (received 13 Oct. '22) my battery capacity is currently reading as 98.5162%.
Only 9 charge cycles used.
Plugged into mains power > 95% of the time.
Charge limited in UEFI settings menu to 65%.

In the first week to 10 days I used it regularly off mains power and was charging it to 100 %; within the first week the battery capacity dropped to about 94.5%.

I did a bit of reading up on the battery here and did a couple of full discharge/recharge cycles and set the charge limit in the UEFI settings. Since then the laptop is rarely used off mains power and with the 65% charge limit the capacity reading has climbed back to about were it was when first used at about 98.5%.

The battery seems to be doing fine so far.

2 Likes

11th gen i5-1135G7 model here

Got mine in September 2022, haven’t used it a ton due to motherboard issues, got it replaced once and it was out of use for about 2 weeks.

180 cycles in using a 45W Samsung charger and my battery health is currently reporting 87% capacity. Or 47986mWh / 55009 mWh with a 12.8% wear level.

1 Like

12th Gen i7-1260p. I’ve found that the indicated battery wear is completely inaccurate. It goes up to 10% or so when gaming, and drops back down to 2% when idling. Currently indicating 4% while I’m typing this.
Part of the reason is that it seems to miscalculate battery wear when the laptop is drawing more power than what the charger can provide.

1 Like

I have had a Pixelbook for 4 1/2 years. When I first got it I researched this
question but found no decisive answer as to constant vs nonconstant
charging, so I keep my computer charging during the day and off at night.
After 853 cycles the battery health is 79%. The length of retaining a charge
when not plugged in has dropped somewhat, but has never been an issue
for me. When the battery dies, I intend to replace it or buy a Framework.

1 Like

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Here is a summary of the battery wear on my 1165 after 1 year.

Initially I didn’t think much about it and didn’t know I could check it for a couple of months etc. which explains the lack of data in the following graph of the first six months.

I had no idea of the cycles for months and the first few figure for wear were from the Windows powercfg.exe which showed a) the initial at 3.4% and the lowest at 2.9%

I was concerned by the 7.4% after 3 months and so took the battery down to 2% and then charged to 100%. This seemed to bring the wear down.

Subsequently I do this at least once a month.

The second six months from Aug 22 to Feb 23 are quite informative in that each time I ‘reset’ the battery I get an improved measure of wear. So much so that today’s figure of 3.5% is only 0.1% above what was the initial value and only 0.6% above the low value recorded a week after i.e. 2.9%

So here is the graph of the last six months showing also the running average which is now at 4.49%

I nearly always have the laptop plugged in when I am using it. Each day the lowest figure is usually in the morning after the battery has rested for the night.

Here are the Monthly details of the multiple readings I take each day

Both the battery health and wear counts are inaccurate so there is no real use in graphing it as it may cause fear to newcomers thinking that the batteries are very low quality.

Whereas the read outs may be ‘inaccurate’ they show a trend.
That the wear drops most often after I charge the battery to 100% every month or so could just show the battery is still opening up.

Note I have only recorded 61 cycles after a year (Feb 28th 2022) and the battery is rated at 1000 in 2 years for a 20% drop. i.e. 2% per year at 100 cycles.

Given the low cycle rate where I may not even use 200 cycles in 2 years it is not unreasonable to see low wear after a year. Further other users have reported similar.

So although your comment may be correct in that the ‘measuring’ is a bit rough I don’t see how the graphs are such a problem.

Sure some people may have stats that show a higher level or wear but with this data they can see the charging routine and by following the link they can see the multiple daily measurements.

Fo example, not shown, I have started another table of date this month

• At 00:22 the wear was 5.3% so I charged the battery from my usual 78% to 100% whilst using it until 01:19
  • At 01:19 the wear was 4% so I shut down for the night
  • At 09:33 the wear was 3.6% so reverted the Battery charge limit to 78%

Regarding that quote

• Do you mean if they don’t have a similar low wear after similar use of mostly on mains as otherwise what would they have as a comparison
  • On a more philosophical note fear is not caused by external events or awareness but an individuals ability to cope with a ‘reality’ they are not used to.

I’m a bit of a freak and often get rude comments as my appearance is challenging, and when I open my mouth even more so, but I am not the cause of other people’s stress etc. :slight_smile:

:om:

from a certain point of view, or in a certain sense, the wear exists
from a certain point of view, the wear does not exist
from a certain point of view, the wear exists and does not exist
from a certain point of view, the wear is inexpressible
from a certain point of view, the wear both exists and is inexpressible
from a certain point of view, the wear both does not exist and is inexpressible
from a certain point of view, the wear exists, does not exist, and is also inexpressible

syādvāda, in Jaina metaphysics, the doctrine that all judgments are conditional, holding good only in certain conditions, circumstances, or senses, expressed by the word syāt (Sanskrit: “may be”). The ways of looking at a thing (called naya) are infinite in number.
Syādvāda | Syādvāda | Jain Logic, Nonabsolutism & Anekantavada | Britannica

and here’s the next graph, from 4th Jan 2023 to 4th March 2023

After a bit more than 1 year of ownership used mostly plugged in with a 75% charge limit I’m down to 90.3% capacity. My reported cycles are 104 but my cycles were stuck for some time so it is hard to estimate that accurately but I would put them closer to 120 than 104.

Have you recently done a full discharge and then charge to 100% for a day or two?

Do have a record of what is was initially, as I had it start at 96.6% capacity

I have not done a full charge very recently but I will try that and see how much this value changes.

I don’t have records of the initial capacity however I remember it was below 100% (54.XX Wh). I have a record two months after purchase with a value of 98.4%, 9 days later 97.3% and 40 days after that 97.1%.

Edit: Seems I made a prior post before forgetting my OOTB value.

Let’s see if I’m wrong and in 2 months time have fallen below the 80% mark did I get a bad battery or is the charge limit behaviour causing some degradation? I’m very carefuly to not stress the battery with heat or deep cycles/fully charging it… My old iphone 3GS had 86% after 500 cycles…
IMG