Initial boot up to install Win 11

Need some help. New purchase arrives Friday and I spent the weekend trying to get software loaded!!! I have tried 10 times or more. The Framework laptop DIY does not recognize my boot device (64gb reformatted thumb drive) . I have opened the downloaded the boot CCCOMA_X64FRE_EN-US_DVR folder and copied the files also to the thumb drive. I downloaded from my desktop at : Microsoft 11 iso.

I have a Windows license code and nowhere to use it!

I have done this also:

You can tap the F12 key while booting to select your boot device. When you reach the boot device selection screen, you can use the arrow keys to select the device, and hit Enter to boot.

If your USB drive isn’t showing up, while you are on the boot device selection screen, try unplugging the device and plugging it back in. This is an issue we are working on resolving with a firmware update. There is also a workaround if you are unable to get to the boot device selection screen.

Did you try to install Windows by making a Windows USB installer? If you have tried that and it doesn’t work, try using another USB drive.

1 Like

Yes, tried a 8gb, 16gb and 64gb. Maybe I need to buy a brand new one . I did reformat all of them and they were empty.
Thanks for your response. I would like to hear from Framework tech/experts on this problem.

Just to be sure, did you use a tool like Rufus or Media Creation Tool to create the bootable drive?

Where is that suppose to happen? If I download the Win Media and Rufus to my desktop PC into a file on desktop and then open a Rufus to get it to create a WiFI free access, when and what to I place onto the large empty thumb drive to help install Window OS onto my framework laptop 13 Ryzen? And how do I get the Framework to even recognize the thumb drive?

Here’s a guide: Windows 11 Installation on the Framework Laptop 13 (AMD Ryzen™ 7040 Series) - Framework Guides

I suggest the preloaded ventoy spin medicat : Just drop iso’s into the LiveOS subfolders as required, you can unzip the driver blob into the root folder of the drive. You’ll need it because windows doesn’t include network drivers on install.