Issues after BIOS 3.05 update 13th Gen Intel Framework 13

After recent updated bios, having USB-C, display out issues. Only right side USB-C port will output display out on startup. After connecting on the right side for display out, the left side will work again. Have tried swapping dongle from left to right, regardless of position the left side will not output video through my Dell Dock WD19S. Have tried other USB-C dongle with the same issue.

Also the secondary display will black out every 30 for about 5 to 10 secs and returns to normal.

Only started after the recent BIOS update.

Any suggestions

2 Likes

Hi and welcome.

Try resetting the main board which helps reset all expansion cards

No doubt a bit different for the 13th Gen

Found the same with my dock on the left USBC port not working until I connected the dock to the right side USBC, let it enumerate, and then moved it back to the left and everything worked again. Very strange.

1 Like

Tried resetting mainboard state , did not resolve issue.

You can’t reset the mainboard using the previously linked instructions as 13th gen does not come with a CMOS battery by default. Here are the instructions to do so:

• Plug in the system to AC
  • Remove the Input Cover
  • Press the chassis open switch in the center of the Mainboard 10 times, you must press it slowly, so press for 2 seconds
  • Release, wait for the red blink on the Mainboard LEDs. repeat
  • Press the power button to boot

If it doesn’t work, please open a support ticket.

3 Likes

Same issue here, 13th Gen Intel on BIOS 3.05, I have three separate dock/desk setups which all require the use of the left USB-C port. As the earlier poster says, bizarrely don’t get anything out of the left port upon boot (or resume from hibernate) until I’ve plugged in to the right socket once.
This happens using a variety of Dell USB-C dock monitors.
The BIOS known-issue list lists this but only the context of ‘portable monitors’, this is much more widespread.

2 Likes

So resetting mainboard both ways did nothing.

Talked with support team and they asked me to reset bios to optimal defaults and this seems to have fixed the issues.

" Just to confirm, have you tried resetting BIOS to optimal defaults? Please try resetting your BIOS to Optimal Defaults. This will reset all the BIOS settings made back to its default. To do this, you will need to press F2 after powering on the laptop, then press F9 to set to Optimal Defaults, and lastly hit F10 to Exit and Save Changes."

I experienced a similar problem, that my HDMI adapter wasn’t working after updating on BIOS 3.05 (Framework 13, 13th Gen Intel). However, installing the Retimer Updates (e.g., 13th Gen Intel Core Retimer port01 310) didn’t work neither.

What finally worked for me:
1.) Downloaded the Linux/Other/UEFI Shell update and created an USB drive with the files.
2.) Shut down my Notebook, unplugged all Adapters, that weren’t necessary (leaving up only 1 usb-c for AC and 1 usb-a for the stick)
3.) Ran the update via UEFI for the Retimers (which now was successful) following the instructions (Framework Laptop BIOS and Driver Releases (13th Gen Intel® Core™))
4.) After the shutdown, unplugging from AC (but i left the battery in), wainting for ~3min, started the notebook again (normal startup).
5.) Shutdown again. Plugged in the other adapters only (didn’t plugged the monitors in, yet). Started. Plugged in while running. Worked as before (old monitor setup settings applied automatically).

I just mentioned, what I did. There may be other ways that work as well. I think the key step is the unplugging of the Displayport or HDMI adapters before running the Retimer updates.

Hope this may help. At least, Framework may mention, that those Displayport and HDMI adapters should be removed when updating the Retimers.

Any update on this? I am having the same problem. I had no issues with my dock prior to the BIOS update and now I only get video out when using the right side USB C port.

1 Like

@nuged is it really fixed for you?
I tried this myself and the issue still comes back after a reboot (or cold boot after power down)
The problem goes away for me when I plug in a dock/USB type-C monitor on the right (or really any other port) and then suddenly the back left port display port capabilities start working.
However, after a fresh boot I still experience the same issue

Thought It resolved the issue, but unfortunately not. Continues to work fine from reconnecting from sleep but every actual reboot or power cycle of the laptop the issue persists. Do have open ticket with tech support, but don’t have enough thing to dive deep into solution.

Hope for updates soon

1 Like

I was experiencing the same issues after updating bios to 3.0.5 and updating re-timers. I’m pretty sure the dock worked after the bios update but stopped after the re-timer update. The left usb-c port wouldn’t connect to a Dell thunderbolt dock (WD19TBS) after a reboot unless I first connected the dock to a usb-c port on the right hand side. Then it would work fine when I would disconnect and reconnect to the left usb-c port.
I tried swapping the usb-c dongles and that didn’t do anything.
The first time I updated the bios and retimers I had the thunderbolt dock connected to the left usb-c port and a flash drive connected to a USB A dongle also on the left side of the laptop.
Then I tried re-running the updateretimer.nsh script from a usb drive (I’m running fedora) with no thunderbolt dock attached. Instead I used my framework usb-c power brick and the flash drive both connected on the right this time. I then shutdown the laptop waited a few minutes, disconnected the battery, waited a few more minutes, reconnected the battery and powered on and the issue was still present.
Then I found this thread and tried resetting the bios to optimized defaults and the left port seems to be working properly now. Thunderbolt dock is detected on the left usb-c port without needing to first plug in on the right.
I’ve tested rebooting with the dock attached, connecting the dock while powered off and then powering the laptop on and powering the laptop on first and connecting the dock after and all seem to be working.
Obviously I did a lot of things and I’m not sure which combination of things fixed it I but hope there are clues in there that might help others get things working again.

My main concern is occasional freezing of the integrated display. Installation of the 3.05 firmware update hasn’t helped but so far I haven’t installed the retimer update, which seems a more likely fix.

Is there any description of why the retimer update is needed? For example, is it related to signal propagation on the internal USB bus which might explain why some adapters won’t work in certain positions? The FrameWork instructions are rather coy about whether or not it’s required:

If your retimer firmware is not up to date, and you want to update it. Please following the process. The retimer update will not impact the system functionality if you choose not to update.