Laptop suddenly "Hibernating" during gameplay, despite full battery

I have the new Framework 16 laptop, running Windows 11.

TL;DR: Laptop randomly “Hibernated” after 2 hours of Palworld. Why?

I received the AMD Radeon GPU recently, the first one was faulty so I had to get a replacement. I got the replacement and tried it out yesterday, the laptop booted up which was a good sign. Everything seemed fine so I tried out some games, which went fairly well, until I started playing Palworld with some friends. After about 2 hours of playing, my laptop suddenly said “Hibernating” then blackscreened and turned off, all within 2-3 seconds. Things to note: The battery was full, the fan was blasting, it wasnt any hotter than usual, there was a brief drop in framerate roughly 1 hour before the incident.

Does anyone know why it went into Hibernation like that without warning? Am I missing something I need to fix? If I cant play more graphically intense games for more than 2 hours then I’ll likely want a refund.

So if it hibernated it came back right where you left it or did it do something else after.

I can’t find it on short notice but I recall there being talk about there being/having been glitches with battery reporting on the 16 which depending on os setup could cause it to momentarily think the battery is empty and hibernate to try and protect your progress.

It did boot up where I left off. Also I dont know if this is related; but another note with this new GPU is the fans on it go FULL BLAST when I boot up almost any game, or even play youtube videos! Like something has to be wrong here.

Do you have your lid action set to hibernate?

I know on the Framework 13 the audio board which is at the bottom left of the mainboard, so near the ctrl key is where the sensor is used for lid detection. As the Framework 16 does not have this audio board, I’m not sure, but I think that something triggering your lid action, or you accidentally touching the power button are all the most likely way hibernation is just randomly occurring.

Edit: doing a bit of digging, it seems this thread talks about where the lid detection is happening:
How is lid close detected on the FW16? - Framework Laptop 16 - Framework Community

Bottom of the bezel just left of center and is ambient by nature. If you are putting anything there, like a phone or otherwise blocking light this could be triggering it. If you are playing in a dark room, and the screen is VERY bright due to the game, but then black due to loading screens, this might also trigger it. All just theories.

1 Like

Those are likely 2 unrelated issues.

it might also be worth checking event viewer to see if there are logs explaining why it suddenly went into hibernate

1 Like