Memory OC support/XMP

Are there currently plans to add XMP and or custom RAM timings to the BIOS?
I would really appreciate it. I know that only a few people overclock their memory, but you can get some performance from there. Also XMP would allow cheaper memory kits to run at the rated 3200MHz

I’m unsure if the XMP support is possible to be enabled. There are no plans currently that I know of.

@Josh_Cook From what I know, XMP should be possible. The Intel NUC uses the same chip afaik and it has XMP support

Yes, but it comes down to firmware. Framework’s firmware doesn’t have support for XMP yet, it may come soon but I don’t believe it’s a priority as of right now.

Where did you see that? It was my understanding that only “hk” SKUs could be overclocked including memory overclocking

I’ve never owned an XMP-enabled laptop so I could easily be wrong and if so, I’ve been wrong multiple times

The memory training/init is from Intel reference code. And this is not supported by the memory training reference code we have.

2 Likes

I think I am in the wrong here. I read something and I must have misread it. Apparently there are problems with XMP on the NUC. I thought that meant, that it supports xmp, but its buggy but apparently it doesnt support xmp and that is the problem. Sorry for the wrong information

1 Like

It does. The option to enable there is there already, just hidden from the user. More details here: Unhide advanced BIOS (UEFI) settings

1 Like

I saw that post too, only didn’t want to refer to it specifically in what I wrote, but if you want my opinion it’s just a plausibly-sounding excuse.

In theory it’s possible that a hidden setting also isn’t implemented, so changing it would do nothing.

However, talking from experience, since I’ve been making such changes on my other devices to unhide these options, this only seems to be the case with some of the power settings (in the Power menu). Other than that, most of the hidden options do take effect when you change them.

In particular, changing the memory timing settings has always worked for me. And this was to make the memory run faster than those other systems had been designed for, while the Framework laptop is already confirmed to be capable of running other memory at 3,200 MT/s. So all the more it seems to be just a settings issue. If anything, a more interesting question would be how much faster can it go beyond the specs (with the right memory sticks).

What’s more, other hidden options also include memory training settings, so these could be adjusted as well if they’re really the culprit.

Framework’s BIOS implementation is not that customized or different, I see no reason why it wouldn’t work out of the box if it does with other manufacturers’ systems. Even if it didn’t, the BIOS vendor (Insyde) could just make changes to enable this setting if instructed to do so by Framework. If it’s not happening, it’s definitely not because it can’t be done.

As for modifying it from the user’s side, I don’t know the extent to which the BIOS is locked with BootGuard. Maybe the settings can be adjusted with Insyde’s H2OUVE (UEFI Variable Editor) utility even though they’re hidden. I can’t really say more since I don’t have and, in the end, won’t be getting a Framework laptop. (I registered and started posting when it was supposed to launch in the EU but eventually it’s not available where I am, so I’ve changed my mind. Now I visited the boards just out of curiosity to check if there were any updates to this, and saw this discussion accidentally, related to what I posted before, so decided to chip in.)

2 Likes

what about adding/unlocking the ability to set our own timings? at the very least the user could just set timings to be equal to the XMP specs for the sticks they are trying to run. allowing tighter latency sticks to be used.

1 Like

The second Framework unlocks something Intel wants locked, they will lose their allocation and then they fold

I really don’t think this will be supported on this CPU, unhappy as I am about it

but is that’s what’s happening? does Intel want “memory timings” locked? the reply from FW seems ambiguous to that effect. FW didnt say it’s something not allowed, just that the reference code they have doesnt support XMP. does this also mean adjusting timings manually isnt allowed? I wouldn’t think this is necessarily the case. there are LOTS of intel BIOSes that don’t support XMP but allow manual adjustment of timings.

would be great if FW could give a more clear and complete reply.

1 Like

I mean…that’s true…

Idk man, I’m making a lot of assumptions here tbh

XMP support/tighter timings has been a request for a LONG time and yet there has been very little said by framework

To me that suggests an NDA

The fact that multiple BIOS revisions have been released and yet none of them address this makes me assume that it isn’t something Framework is pursuing

Intel had there own controversy with B-series boards that locked XMP out of locked SKUs but did allow tighter timings as I recall

I have never purchased a laptop that has had ANY kind of memory control and the only ones I’ve seen advertised as such are “GAMING” laptops with HK processors

You could be very well right but the lack of info suggests this is deliberate

3 Likes

Does the XMP problem still exist for the current 13th gen i7-1360P?
For example the 64GB Kingston FURY Impact DDR4 3200 (2x 32GB) KF432S20IBK2/64. Does it work?

Is the type JEDEC PC4-25600S correct? Are there other current memories supported if this model is not compatible?

BTW: I do not need any overclocking, just working ram.

In the meanwhile I found the memory compatibility list What memory (DRAM) parts are compatible with the Framework Laptop?
and ordered two modules from the compatibility list.

I am just wondering if this list is up-to-date for 13th gen or is there a newer one.