Mini LED Replacement Display

Here is an update on my mini LED replacement panel. It is not a drop-in replacement. Both panels have the same number of pins on the connector. But, the Framework Laptop 16 monitor has a higher density connector. So, an adapter is required.

Framework on the Right
Mini LED on the Left

3 Likes

Mini LED panel

Framework Panel

If anyone knows of the connector the Framework panel uses please let me know! I might be able to make a female-to-male adapter to plug the Framework display cable into the new monitor.

what panel (brand+model) is this?

edit: nevermind, I see it (slightly) in the picture

Here is the information for the panel: NE160QDM-NM4 BOE0B74

Here are some dimentions of the min LED and Framework panels.

Mini LED Panel:

Framework Panel:

This is the Aliexpress listing I purchased it from: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805566243763.html

The pin pitch on the Framework panel connector is 0.25 mm compared to 0.5 mm on the Mini LED panel.

The connector difference could be worked around. But, the Framework Laptop 16 monitor lid will need to be remade to fit this new screen. The back of the panel contains the driver board which adds significant thickness. The Framework panel by comparison moves the driver board down below the panel so that there is nothing behind the panel.

It’s about 1.5mm thicker at the bottom compared to the Framework panel. So I’d have to make a tall bezel unless I wanted the panel slanted. But, then I’d need a slanted bezel.

Maybe in the future if Framework releases CAD files for the lid I’ll try modifying it and 3D printing my own lid to accommodate this panel.

2 Likes

CABLINE®-CA II looks like a match while being 0.4mm pitch. The miniLED display uses a MSAK24025 from STM (no not the semiconductors company)