Names For Laptop(s)

If it’s personal and you don’t want anyone “on an open message board” to know it, why even respond in the first place?

4 Likes

My daughter would adore your computers and give you the Good Taste award :wink:

2 Likes

I’m not sure I understand this. If an attacker knows what my host names are, how will that help them find and infiltrate my network? If they can get into my LAN, host names are my least concern - there’s lots of damage they can do there, including renaming my host names to anything they like. And host names aren’t leaked out over the Internet-at-large, so how will knowing what host names I use help them find my network?

I could be wrong, if I am please let me know for security’s sake.

3 Likes

The only thing I can think of is if your hostname scheme leaks information about how you come up with passwords or security question answers. Could also help with spear phishing. Seems like a stretch, but top-notch social engineers are impressive.

@Fraoch @Jay_Vogt Like I said, an abundance of caution - it’s extremely unlikely popping a random host name on a forum would compromise a system: on the other hand, telling people “I own this device and it identifies itself as ‘wiggleworm’” gives a potential attacker several pieces of info (forum username, ownership of a Framework laptop, and laptop name).

These are unlikely to be used in a random or mass attack. But a targeted attack, like against a business or government executive? Or a spouse? Or Jealous lover? Or repressive government targeting dissidents? Not even an attack to compromise a machine or network; just one to establish a user identity and behaviour.

All edge cases, all unlikely. But unlikely things happen. Better to keep private what doesn’t need to be public.

And apologies to @Zoe_Maxine if seems I’m harshing the thread. that’s not my intent; I just wanted to draw attention to potential exposure for those who might not think of it.

I name my home devices after Solar System bodies, very roughly in size order. (E.g., I used to have desktops in large cases named Jupiter and Saturn, and I had a tiny little system named qb1 once.)

Laptops are likely to be named after asteroids in this system, although my Framework is so fast compared to the stuff I usually own that I wish I’d thought of naming it after 1I ‘Oumuamua.

3 Likes

@Ithemick And apologies to @Zoe_Maxine if seems I’m harshing the thread. that’s not my intent; I just wanted to draw attention to potential exposure for those who might not think of it.

No worries, I think it’s fair to bring up potential issues when you notice them, and let others decide the risks for themselves!

If I’m completely honest, though, when I made the thread I was thinking of casual conversation, like how I’ve named my bike or the basement; I wasn’t necessarily asking about host names but that really should have occurred to me in hindsight!

I just think giving stuff names is fun.

2 Likes

Also I love how y’all have named them, it’s all cute.

I think I’m going to name mine Skeets! Booster Gold’s sidekick, since the Framework Laptop is small, reliable, and hopefully will survive multiple iterations of itself.

Just gotta keep it away from psychic worms

1 Like

All about naming your gadgets. For me, I name my devices based on the first letter of the brand name or model and a reference to something I like currently. Such as a game character, song, etc. For example, here are some names I’ve used. See if you can get the references:

• BlackBetty - BlackBerry Priv
  • Altaïr - Asus G73JW
  • Samwell - Samsung S10 5G
  • Lydia - Lenovo Y700 15ISK
3 Likes

I have a few more too

• Firestar: my desktop
  • Spottedleaf: my Librem 13v3
  • Briarlight: my Pinebook Pro
  • Cinderpelt: my oneplus 6t
  • Lionheart: my backup server
  • Redtail: one of my postgres servers
  • Whitestorm: my other postgres server
3 Likes

My youngest brother loves those books! Have yet to read any myself.

I’ve always named mine after characters from Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy Characters.

My framework machine is named marvin. My work machine is beeblebrox, my cloud machine is magrathea, and my gaming rig is deep-thought.

5 Likes

I’ve used a couple of naming schemes:

• Fictitious computers (wintermute, neuromancer, rei_toei, shodan, colossus…)
  • Mythological beings (manticore, hippogriff, gryphon, jackalope…)
  • Blade Runner replicants (for Android-based phones, naturally)
3 Likes

I always put woot in mine – wootalicious, wootareyoutalkingabout, wootmeupscotty, Wootforthewin, wootitup and latest alltimewoot.

Sorry, not very helpful since not robot or sci-fi themed at all. But I think they’re pretty cool so just wanted to brag.

3 Likes

I used to name a few servers I managed after an animate Puella Magi Madoka Magica I really enjoy watching at the time, and they are

• Homura
  • Madoka
  • Sayaka
  • Kyoko
  • Mami

So you will see me run ssh command like

ssh homura

oh my, I am so nerd :see_no_evil:

6 Likes

I had fun asking school groups at my planetarium job: which planet is farthest from the sun. Around early 90’s Neptune was, as Pluto was inside Neptunes orbit till '99. Everyone answered Pluto. I quipped do you believe everything your teacher tells you? Got a good laugh from the kids,usually, except one class, chaperoned by nuns.
Then the “is Pluto a planet” fun happened.

5 Likes

Oh, I named a couple hard drives after Spirit and Opportunity when they landed. The drives still work well. 8 gig or so.

1 Like

A company named the large dishwasher sized drives after comedians. One day one crashed, and jokes went around that we had lost all Hope.

3 Likes

I run one of a few general schemes:

1. Tabletop RPG characters
  2. Monsters
  3. Deific figures/Lovecraftian references.

Phone’s currently Nyarlathotep, I’ll probably cycle around to naming the Framework either Azathoth, Hastur, or Shub-Niggurath in a day or three.

I call mine “HAL”, but only when it misbehaves.

2 Likes