"No bootable device" error

I am running Windows on my 11th Generation Framework DIY. My computer (bought October 2021) currently starts up into a blue screen stating “Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed”. From there I get a “Boot Option Menu” with nothing listed, which finally takes me to a black screen stating “No bootable device – please restart system.” (pictures below)

I had a similar issue about a year ago, where my computer would randomly have a boot error. Updating the firmware fixed that seemingly related issue (I have a I have a 500gb WD Black SN850 NVMe).

But now the computer never boots. A Windows recovery USB stick isn’t recognized, nor is a Linux recovery stick.

I used an SSD enclosure to connect the SSD drive to another Windows machine, but the SSD wasn’t detected. So I’m guessing the SSD has failed. This unfortunately seems like a common problem. Am I correct that the only thing to do here is buy a replacement SSD drive? (Because I bought the computer two years ago I doubt Framework will replace the drive.)

I opened up a Framework support ticket, but their main idea was to make sure the drive was seated correctly (it was).

My thanks in advance.

1 Like

I just woke up to this exact issue. 11th gen DIY, worked fine for up until now.

Any update on this?

Framework is sending me a new SSD.

So it was SSD failure? Damn, I’m sorry that you lost your data… But I’m glad that the problem seems to be resolved.

But imagine if you had a recent Mac. You’d have a brick instead of just having to replace the SSD!

Exactly! I keep all my files backed up via a cloud application so the data loss was minimal. Obviously I’d have preferred to not have had a hard drive failure but (1) Framework was relatively easy to work with to solve the problem and (2) worst case scenario I just need to replace parts as opposed to an entire computer.

Thats great to hear you keep your data backed up regularly (so I’m assuming data loss was minimal). And the fact that the SSD is easily replaceable (and not just replaceable, but easy to do so) make me not even consider any Mac or device where I can’t replace the SSD (like the recent Dell XPs 13 9315). Heck, even Valve managed to make their SSDs replaceable in the Steam Deck (even if my screws on my OLED model are tighter than a drum), so Dell has no excuse of being “tOo ThIn” for m.2 SSDs or lack of ports (its worse than even a MacBook Air)!

People often don’t want to sacrifice usability for a 1 or 2 milimeters of thickness, as was shown with recent Dell XPS laptops.

Usually, this error comes when booting from an external USB drive. SSD failing is a rare case. Hopefully, you have all things backed up in the cloud.