OLED option for display

OLED + HDR would be yes.

2 Likes

I wish that offer OLED to Framework 13 & 16.

1 Like

Did you ever try to use a laptop outside, which doesnā€™t have a matte screen?
Good luck finding an angle where you can recognize more than your own visageā€¦

3 Likes

I second this. Matte vs not matte is unironically like the difference between night and day. Fortunately, the framework is matte.

Maybe using laptops outside is not everyoneā€™s priority

1 Like

Matte displays also benefit greatly when indoors as well, itā€™s a glare reduction technology. Gloss and matte both have pros and cons. From the last time I looked into the topic, glossy is preferred for workloads involving digital media, e.g. photography/video while matte displays are make workloads that involve reading text easier.

Stumbled upon this thread from another thread. Iā€™m fiddling with my FW13 but i recently ordered an edp driver board from aliexpress:
DP to EDP driver board

There are 3 OLED options on the compatibility list. Given all the other LCDs likely follow the standard 4-lane config, I assume at least these 3 do too. Unfortunately, they are all 15.6", but I thought Iā€™d post it here in case it helps anyone.

From the few datasheets I have seen laptop oled pinouts are a bit wild west right now, I have seen some that use the regular lcd de-factor standard pinouts and had the voltage conversion circuitry on board, others went a bit more wild and used a completely different pin-out and expected the mainboard to do the voltage conversion.

Find the datasheet for your particular panel before plugging it into stuff (learned that the hard way XD).

I also have this panel, ATNA60YV02-0 (sdc415d), which I believe is used in a couple Asus laptops.

Would love to see a datasheet on the electrical connectivity, to see how complicated it might be to adapt the panel for use in the FY16.

Itā€™s a full 1.0mm thinner than the panel that ships with the FY16 (1.3mm vs 2.3mm as I measured them), but is otherwise a perfect fit for the chassis. Electrically, beyond voltage requirements and pinout order, the 40-pin connector on this panel uses .5mm pitch whereas the connector on the panel that ships with the FY16 uses .4mm pitch.

1 Like

Absolutely interested in hearing if anyone successfully wires up an OLED panel to their FW.

Whatā€™s PWM?

Pulse Width Modulation. Itā€™s a technique for controlling the power of a signal by representing it as a square wave with a varying duty cycle. In this context itā€™s a way of adjusting the screen brightness by turning the pixels off and on very quickly. It doesnā€™t affect most people but some people get headaches etc. from it.

3 Likes

thanks!

1 Like

LCD screens can be dimmed via PWM or a DC-DC converter, the former has flicker while the latter is flicker-free. However on OLED screen, flicker-free is nearly impossible, this is because the difference of displaying color.

For a screen, there are W + H * 3 channels, for example, a color HD display has 1920(W) + 1080(H) * 3(RGB), not 1920 * 1080 * 3.

The LCD screen has a single light source, the backlight LED. The LCD displays color by adjusting the opacities of individual pixels. The opacity is controlled by the voltage applied. During refreshing a frame, each row is connected one at a time, when a row is energized, the voltage of each columns are adjusted to display the correct color, then the next row is connected and so on. Since the liquid crystal itself is passive, no energy is consumed when the voltage is not applied and thereā€™s some capacitance within the crystal, the opacity wonā€™t change by itself. As a result, before the next frame the opacities of the pixels remain the same. Upon rendering the next frame, a different voltage is applied, charging or discharging the opacities corresponds to the next color. Therefore the brightness changes gradually even if the framerate is low. The only source of flicker is the backlight LEDā€™s PWM frequency, if the backlight does not use PWM, which is true for most modren LCD, the screen is flicker-free.

OLED on the other hand, are self-illuminating. However due to the same constraints, itā€™s not possible to have W * H * 3, so W + H * 3 has to be used. A self-illuminating pixel consumes electricity, so power has to be continuously supplied as long as itā€™s illuminated. Hereā€™s a simplifed 8 * 8 * 1 LED screen as an example

To illuminate the lower left pixel, power is applied from R8 to C1, to illuminate the upper right pixel, power is applied from R1 to C8. If you want to illuminate all the pixels, simply apply power to all channels. However, the problem arises when illuminate part of the screen. For example, if you want to illuminate both the upper right and the lower left pixels, you might attempt to power R1, R8 and C1, C8, but the upper left and the lower right are illuminated as well. As a result, you have to alternate sending power between R1C8 and R8C1, creating flicker. That could explain why OLED screen has inherent flicker as long as not displaying white at max brightness.

With DC dimming, the flicker of OLED screen can be significantly reduced, however due to the limitation mentioned above, OLED screen cannot be completely flicker-free as LCD screen

2 Likes

+1 from me
I would also love an OLED monitor option for the Framework 16

1 Like

For my part, Iā€™d prefer a mini-LED option. Iā€™m worried about the deterioration of OLED screens, so Iā€™d rather opt for a more durable technology.

Iā€™m not sure you can just bosh a Mini-LED panel into a laptop and call it good. They require algorithms to manage the Mini-LED dimming and afaik the panels themselves arenā€™t the thing that does it.

Thatā€™s kinda the beauty of Framework though, right. If it fails then you can just replace it, or put your old display back in. Though I expect it to not fail, of course. But the risk of trying it out is pretty low.

1 Like

If only we had a OLED or Mini-LED that worked with Framework 13" & 16". I know supply voltage is a problem people have talked about with OLEDs for the 13".

Indeed, the Framework Laptop 16 makes it easy to replace a damaged screen. But producing screens that are not very durable and need replacing rather than a durable screen is environmentally damaging.
Find out more about the lifespan of OLED screens: OLED - Wikipedia

1 Like