Please make a computer with dedicated a gpu!

Please add a dedicated gpu a lot of people need more power but still wants and needs a fixable laptop.

1 Like

That will require a new motherboard which would be a quite bad move after not even 2 years.
It will split the community and that is to be avoided. And it requires Framework to continue supporting both motherboards, even when the Firmware of the only existing one isn’t even out of Beta yet since a few months.

So, I would suggest to focus on QA (quality assurance) for now.

4 Likes

I think the closest we might get is the upcoming Meteor lake or newer with an Arc GPU tile, else when AMD bothers, we can get APUs from them.

Or if someone bothers to somehow hack a steam deck mainboard into the Framework chassis.

2 Likes

How would that split the community they already created a Chromebook version how would this negatively effect the community. Yes they are a new company but they are doing well and a lot of power users want a computer that is powerful but reparable and there are almost no options out there.

why do you think they can not go farther then that?

1 Like

Because this is a 13-14" form factor, the cooling solution won’t be able to handle it.

2 Likes

Power Users can buy eGPU. The GPU is repairable and upgradable there. There isn’t any room for additional components in the current chassis without removing something else.

4 Likes

why Could they not make it slightly bigger?

1 Like

Yes but you can only go so far with a eGPU because of the use of usb-c but in the laptop there are less limitations on more powerful gpus.

1 Like

Yeah…you can go farther. Because it’s a desktop-class GPU, unconstrained by power or thermal targets that must be managed by a laptop cooling system. And once TB5 hits, bandwidth constraints will no longer be a hindrance for the foreseeable future.

EDIT: I get what you are saying and I don’t want to come across as unkind but what you ask for is discussed multiple times and has had similar responses every time. @Anachron was right about splitting the community. The Chromebook wasn’t widely heralded as a great step by FW. We understand why it was done but I for one don’t have to like it.

2 Likes

Because that would create another SKU part that might require another line of products that a small team like Framework has to maintain such as a bigger screen, speakers, touchpad, etc

As for repairable, of a larger size, I am not sure if the Thinkpad P series would be helpful for you in that sense.

That being said, I kinda wish for an option of a Thinkpad like chassis (mix of Magnesium alloy and carbon fibre) rather than the Aluminium body of the Framework, but I guess that’s not going to be possible with a small team like that, considering they are working on Coreboot and improvements.

1 Like

I see those are some good benefits and i agree i do not like the Chromebook decision. But how would it split the community? And they could make multiple models.

Really it comes down to this: 1) Can it be stuffed into the current chassis? No, it can’t. 2) Should they make another larger chassis? Yes, down the road i.e. once they can push BIOS updates and handle fixing firmware issues in a timely manner. Most of the complaints you see either here or on reddit, odd behaviors etc are likely related to the BIOS or to firmware on the devices and until they get that squared away a larger chassis option will likely remain a backburner issue. Hell they can’t/won’t get a factory shipped or replacement display with a matte finish…in other words get in line :slight_smile:

At least if they are working on Coreboot that would go a long way to cleaning up their BIOS issues.

2 Likes

so we both agree but it just needs time right?

1 Like

Come on you did not need to say that. I was just putting out my idea (A lot of others want it). You do not need to like it but you don’t need to be passive aggressive jeezz.

If you are talking about multiple product lines, it needs scale too. Framework can’t be compared to like HP/Dell/Lenovo in terms of cost efficiency and product sales (which is why you notice is kinda more pricier)

3 Likes

@Jieren_Zheng Well i am ecstatic because i really do like what they are doing and can’t wait for the future that lies ahead!

1 Like

Exactly I wanted to call attention to it for the creators of frame work because there is a large amount of people that want this If the consumer wants it then why not make people in charge aware of it. You do not need to want it but if others do that does not make it invaded.

Why not simple use a external GPU over the USB-C port?
Antother work arround would be a virtual cloud power machine like shadow cloud PC.

@Bender_Lux then you are paying for a monthly service and don’t own the gpu.:confused:

1 Like