Recommended laptop bags / cases / sleeves?

Its a bit overkill depending on what you are doing with your laptop… I like it because you cant easily tell its a laptop, and it really screams “more than the police might be involved if you steal this particular item”.

Its also the right dimensions for carry on when flying.

Plus, plucking that pelican foam is addictive in the same magnitude as packing bubble popping.

4 Likes

I don’t really wear it for long so I can’t really tell you. It’s usually just on to get to my car, then to the office or just from the garage to my home office upstairs

It is well padded and comfortable for the short time I have it on, though.

While I never owned the LTT backpack, the straps and padding reminds me of it. Of course the colorway helps too.

1 Like

Great, thank you!

I received my 20L Nomatic Backpack (Gomatic in Europe) today and the 16" with dGPU fits very well. I have to move an elastic strap away to get the laptop in, but it’s already quite natural. There’s a bit of friction to get it out, but that’s not a problem.

It was one of the very few manufacturers to give the exact size of the laptop compartment on its website, so I was pretty confident it would fit.

2 Likes

Has anybody found a good solution (pouch/case) for storing Expansion modules ?

There’s some 3d printable designs out there, to safely stash the modules in.

Fits with GPU

After some unforeseen delay due to them (Mapbagrag) moving their workshop to a different town and the parcel service not working during the Easter Holidays, I finally have my tailormade FW 16 sleeve/bag in my hands. @Gareth_Lewis
And boy is it tailormade, “fits like a glove” is to be taken literal here, no excess (as in “unnecessary”) material whatsoever. The lining on the inside is made out of neoprene, so it serves as a nice cushion, and probably will stretch that certain millimeter or so over time, that is making it very snug (maybe even too snug for some people) at the moment (assumably due to the front corners being less rounded than on most “mainstream” laptops), when closing the zipper and sliding it in or out. I will e-mail them my observations, so that they maybe add that extra millimeter for subsequent customers, so that it’s an optimal “out-of-the-box” experience for all taste profiles.
All in all, I can wholeheartedly recommend Mapbagrag for Framework owners, who are looking for sleeves, bags, totes (and potentially some of their backpack models). Their customer service (directly from Mapbagrag’s owner) is also still as friendly as it was during my last order 7 years ago. :smile:

2 Likes

Thank you, will check those out.

How sturdy is the laptop?
My old one I used to put between the books and folder in my backpack but that was an older already scratched up model and I didn’t care as much.
I have Dbrand skins and plan on buying a sleeve/bag for the FW16 but I worry if this is enough or if the screen will rub on the keys

You could always go to a sewing shop and get a piece of wadding or felt to put on top of the keyboard before closing the screen. Even a piece of brushed cotton from an old shirt would suffice.

2 Likes

So it’s purely the act of rubbing against each other not the physical force of them touching that causes the imprints?

The “imprints” are usually the residue from your fingers, not actual imprints. It builds up on the keyboard and then transfers to the screen.

There’s no lateral motion of the keyboard to actually damage the screen, even if they do touch, but the residue can be quite hard to clean off, so many people erroneously believe that the screen has been damaged. Nearly three years with the FW13 and the usual key marks on the screen wiped off with a microfiber cloth no problem, just the other day. I don’t expect the 16 will be any different.

You can also prevent it by always thoroughly washing your hands before using your keyboard, or always using gloves, but that is quite impractical imo

1 Like

Can confirm that Tomtoc A14 for 17-17.3" laptops is a loose fit for FW16 without dGPU. But in my opinion not loose enough to be an issue

My company-issues Ogio Axle snugly fits the 17 with GPU

I can confirm that the Pelican Adventurer fits the Framework 16 (tested without dGPU):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BM4XS66N
Note that according to some of the review comments, it may not actually be designed/made by Pelican, but simply another companies product licensed with the Pelican name. Either way, initial impressions are that it is well made, and should be plenty sufficient to protect my Framework.

There’s a little depth left, so depending on how much thickness the dGPU adds, it might be able to squeeze in.

I checked the FW16 with my Cabaia Adventurer Maxi:

• Very very tight (too much to my taste) fit for the FW16 without the dGPU in the laptop compartment.
  • Lots of room in the main compartment, dGPU included.

I ordered a Cushcase Everyday Canvas to accommodate the FW16 with dGPU attached in the main compartment.

I ended up purchasing the Samsonite Guardit 2.0 Bailhandle 17.3
Fits with about an inch clearance L & R, plenty of additional space in it. I will add in a MAPBAGRAG sleeve @meegouser later once my wallet has recovered from the last 8 months…

P_20240411_083859

1 Like

Update on receiving the CushCase:

Using the CushCase in my GoRuck GR1 21L makes me feel more comfortable than having it naked in the bag. Again, it cannot fit in the other locations the bag has for laptops, but then it isn’t designed to handle a laptop this size. You can see in the images though that using the CushCase does cause the corners of the laptop to become somewhat visible from the exterior. Since this is my EDC bag, I plan on tolerating this arrangement.

I already have a hard sleeve, but it is quite a tight fit for my FW16 without dGPU. Its edges are also hard which means the corners of the laptop are constantly touching/rubbing against the hard edge.

Does your Pelican case have hard edges as well, or are they somewhat padded?