Recommended software for windows 11 framework

I’m in the upcoming batch 5 preorder DYI. I did quick search here and didn’t see a thread on some of your favorite software you like to run on Windows. things like utility, antivirus, monitoring, video, etc. Just a place where we can list stuff that is very useful to some. I understand this is very dependent on what you do with your PC, but thought it would be nice have some incite into what you all all using. It’s been awhile since I’ve bought a new computer and it’s not something I keep up on.

Again it’s been awhile but stuff I use on my old laptop. 7Zip, VLC media, CutePDF, maybe favorite VPN, or encryption software. and anything else you can think of as useful or even a must on every PC you set up.

1 Like

Hi you don’t really mean ‘recommended’ considering the post but more

I would neither ‘recommend’ any nor post data for a list, the list would be never ending and a pain.

Maybe you could be more specific in that there are applications you use and ask about those??

M<aybe the title should read ‘What do you use on Windows 11?’

1 Like

HWiNFO64 (Monitoring),
Throttlestop (Monitoring and power control),
Winaero Tweaker (Windows OS modding, dangerous- bewarned),
O&O ShutUp10++ (Winaero but less dangerous, good for privacy and faster experience),
CPU-Z (Monitoring and good to have generally),
Intel Graphics Command Center (Comes with driver, but has a few useful settings),
Intel Driver Tool (Auto-updates drivers),
VSC Insiders (Code editor),
WSA/Amazon Appstore (Windows subsystem for android, allows emulated android apps),
WSL (Windows subsystem for linux).
That’s it for general programs I think.

Edit: Some non-applications:
7-zip
File converter (I find it really useful to locally change file formats, cloudconvert becomes tiring after a while)

1 Like

Thank you @Shiroudan That’s perfect. @amoun I know everyone has different uses and needs. Just looking for a “I never use a win PC without these things” that we find extremely useful.

2 Likes

If you use an external monitor, try twinkletray. it’s on all my windows devices, and linux has similar tools too.
uses the DDC/CI protocol that practically every monitor has (ime) so can adjust brightness etc via the systemtray.

1 Like

On this note, I actually use MyDockFinder. Basically converts your windows into Mac, and has display brightness controls.

Does cost money though.

Ever since I found QuickLook I’ve installed it on all my Windows devices, it lets you highlight a photo or document in the file explorer and hit spacebar to get a little preview, like on MacOS, then you can hit spacebar again to close the preview, or even use the arrow keys to scroll through other items in the directory.

2 Likes

Nice!

1 Like

Unchecky - You might think you are clever enough to avoid all the checkboxes but they can be sneaky. If you don’t install it on yours then at least install it on all the family machines.

ninite.com to get all the free stuff.

d7x has some handy tools I use as well like Tweaky. d7xTech.com (formerly Foolish IT) – Computer Repair Software – PC Tech Utilities – Malware Prevention

1 Like