Replace the Windows key with a Linux one or at least a generic "super" one

Windows logo, Framework logo, some form of generic “windows” glyph (e.g. the box-over-box glyph that’s been around for ages), Tux, “Meta” (yes, the text “Meta”), and maybe a couple popular distro logos.

Honestly considering how cheap keycaps really are, I guess its cheaper for Framework to just ship all of them and let the users install the keycaps themselves.

Compose isn’t a common term in North America for the upper case lock key, also known as the Caps Lock. It’s caps lock because it toggles upper case for the whole board, hense Caps as in capital letters, and lock as in you don’t have to hold it down.

Either way, a customizable keyboard where you can swap out the keycaps with whatever you want would be great.

9 Likes

Have you looked at the pictures of the keycaps on the keyboard? It looks like the key surface is a rubber or silicon surface that is one piece with every other key. Replacing a keycap in this case is not an option without replacing the entire keyboard.

I’m quite content with my Windows key so I’m not that concerned about a different key. Although if Framework would offer a Framework logo instead I’d happily replace it. The problem being what becomes of the keyboard being replaced? I’m pretty sure Framework is against creating more waste.

I think you need to get your irony detector checked :slightly_smiling_face:.

I map “press both Shift keys at once” mapped to that. I map the key labeled “Caps Lock” to compose, because that’s fāŗ mòṙê üşəfǔ£! (I can type all that and more without having to memorize glyph numbers. Admittedly, I don’t type a lot of ‘extended Latin characters’, but I type a few, and symbols get used much more often. Plus, you can add your own, although restarting X to make changes is a pain.)

Are you sure about that? If so, I wonder how this “one piece” setup manages to make the caps out of a different material than the board (n.b. the clear keys version). There are keyboards made that way, but they’re unusual and horrible for typing.

That said, I feel like I heard somewhere that the caps really aren’t replaceable (which I would find much more believable). It might be this sort of thing would only be available with an “assemble it yourself” keyboard.

1 Like

I was reading a thread the other day showing how the keys were individually replaceable and not all keys in one piece.

See here:

Very illustrative GIF and it looks like he’s using the Framework tool to remove them.

7 Likes

I’m super happy to be wrong!! That is awesome!

Custom keys FTW!!!

5 Likes

@Fraoch Indeed that was with the included tool. I am currently waiting on a few keysets from different macbook replacements to see if any fit.

3 Likes

Stickers are indeed awful, no matter how good the sticker is.

I like the Compose idea. I’ll have to admit, I had to search it up. The Caps Lock key has to be one of the stupidest keys on a keyboard. Always hated it. You accidentally hit it more than you intentionally do.

I’d like it to be a Compose key. Fn + Compose (Caps Lock) should then toggle Upper Case.

1 Like

They are not. All the key “caps” are one big “sheet”.

1 Like

The gif linked in the post three posts above yours trivially disproves that.

8 Likes

+1 for the framework logo, symbolises the laptop and be generic to the OS.

10 Likes

Looks like you’re correct, my bad! :open_mouth: That changes a few things!

2 Likes

Alas, I currently do the remapping in X. I’m not sure the US keyboard profile has a scan code for “compose” (though I’m also not sure what scan codes get emitted for “multimedia” keys); you might need a custom keyboard map to get that to work. And making fn+compose be caps lock probably requires BIOS changes or even changing the keyboard firmware.

OTOH, this is Framework… and I’ve seen other laptops (System76?) that let you fiddle with the keyboard scan codes.

Seems like you were being facetious, but “Caps Lock” and “Compose” are two different functions. You seem to like to map the “Compose” function to the key that by default is for “Caps Lock”. It would be as stupid for the key to be labeled “Compose” when it does the “Caps Lock” function, or for the key to be labeled “A” when it actually produces “X”.

Personally, on my current laptop Fn+K is a hidden scroll lock, but I have it remapped to “Kompose”. :grinning: (And I can type Fn+K Fn+K : D to get “:grinning:”.)

That was said in a comment in the discussion of the Keyboard blog post.

My impression is that it’s still possible, but you risk breaking things because the individual keys weren’t designed for being removed and put back on. And I’d guess Framework doesn’t intend to sell individual key caps. But who knows, maybe someone will in the marketplace?

1 Like

My read of that quote is that it’s not meant for individual switch replacement like you can do on a mechanical keyboard. That’s a very different thing from a keycap though.

Here is the question that reply seems to have been in reply to:

1 Like

Ah, ok thanks for clarifying that

I, like @horizonbrave mentioned, recognize that this is just a small detail in an already beautiful and amazing product - but like so many in this thread, it’s a small detail I can’t help but care about.

I wish I were brave enough to order a blank keyboard, I love the look of the blank black keys. I just don’t trust myself to know where anything is beyond the standard QWERTY letters…

Personally, the work-around I’m planning to try once mine arrives, is just a layer of acrylic paint via a paint marker on the super key. So it’ll just be blank, matte black. We’ll see how it holds up…

The FW logo on the “windows” shouldn’t even have to be requested. How did the wizards at Framework miss this opportunity??

6 Likes