Request: Review of Framework Laptop 16 Keyboard Layouts

Looks good!

It would be great to have option both for the “old” classic layout and for the new standardised layout. The latter hasn’t been adopted yet by any major manufacturer, but is an excellent piece of work and would be great to have. It keeps everything’s that is familiar with the classic layout but improves it in many many respects.

Other than that, I think it is well done. Some extra comments:

The “PRT SCR” is weird to keep in English. In French, it would be “Impression Écran”. My Thinkpad has it abbreviated as “ImpÉc”, it could be this or possibly “IMP ÉCR” but maybe it would be worth looking at what other manufacturers are doing. Otherwise, all the function keys are doing icons, so this could also have an icon (for instance a camera visor with corner guides).

Also, why the Windows key and not a Framework key? And if you want a Windows key, then it should be the Windows 11 / Microsoft glyph, which is four squares not in perspective. What you have here seems to be Windows 8/10 logo?

I also wonder why ⬉ but “fin” but it seems that this inconsistency is quite standard? I feel it is weird next to the left arrow. Alternative could be “orig” (short for “origine”) or “déb” (short for “début“).

2 Likes

U+2399 PRINT SCREEN SYMBOL : ⎙

1 Like

This I would interpret as just “Print”. Historically that might be what the key was about, but now it is about screenshots — so looking at screenshot icons might turn out to be more relevant?

Interesting. I’d never heard of Optimot. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

The CC BY‑NC‑SA license under which the layout is made available is very unfortunate.

This license prohibits commercial use, so selling a keyboard with the layout printed on it would be prohibited (without special consent from the original author). It also means commercial operating systems can’t include the layout.

This is notably in contrast to the likes of Colemak, which is released as public domain. And Bépo, which has a more liberal CC license. (Bépo also got published as a national standard, implementations of which are not subject to any licensing restrictions. It was this national standard version which got included in Windows, not the CC-licensed Bépo.fr version.)

2 Likes

US English (RGB)
(UPDATED)

ID2206--keyboard-US-eng-rgb-V7

7 Likes

Swiss
(UPDATED)

ID2206--keyboard-swiss-white-backlight-V3

5 Likes

Spanish
(UPDATED)

ID2206--keyboard-spanish-white-backlight-V3

Portuguese
(UPDATED)

ID2206--keyboard-portuguese-white-backlight-V3

International English / Windows v3

ID2206--keyboard-int-eng-white-backlight-v3

2 Likes

French Canadian
(UPDATED)

ID2206--keyboard-french-canadian-white-backlight-V3

1 Like

This looks more normal to me.
My only note is for the bottom-right:
it looks like there’s no way to insert é.
The ◌́ should be moved to right side of the key.

I’m not sure what’s supposed to be above the ., but it’s fine.

1 Like

As it was pointed out @Brunoais

and also the 3 key is missing the £ symbol in the alt gr state

Doesn’t the FW16 use QMK for setting the keymapping?
I would rather see some alternate key layouts (e.g. ortholinear).

2 Likes

It does. And their QMK firmware is already public on their github. But of course note that work is still being done on it.

That is what Tomas Barreira mentioned :slightly_smiling_face:. I’ll quote here:

1 Like

This is the hard part about doing keyboard layouts! There are very rarely formal standards for the layout definition, so we followed what Microsoft defined for Windows here: Belgian (Period) Keyboard - Globalization | Microsoft Learn

This one does have those two symbols, but as you note, not all keyboard makers use them, and the Wikipedia article for Belgian keyboards doesn’t have them either…

2 Likes

That Microsoft documentation shows the layout as defined in software. That’s often very different from what is intended to be printed on the physical keyboard.

Often, especially on the AltGr layer, there’s loads of extra superfluous stuff that’s not usually printed on keys.

For example, here’s the English International keyboard, as implemented in Windows: http://www.kbdlayout.info/KBDUSX/

As you can see, it’s much busier than the physical keyboard labelling, which usually only has a single AltGr position labelled — AltGr + 5 for the euro symbol.

For another example of this phenomenon, see the new French keyboard layout: French (Standard, AZERTY) - Keyboard Layout Info

1 Like

Re: International English / Windows v3

Should the € symbol remain the only Alt-Gr symbol shown on the international US English keyboard? Not all its Alt-Gr characters are Europe oriented. (2560×1600, 180°, ½ cup, 8ft², Ch2 §3 ¶2, etc).

Historically, € required Unicode support (unlike many other Alt-Gr keys in Latin-1). Around the turn of the century, highlighting € was a way to advertise new Unicode support on computers, but that is not a reason to make € special now.

2 Likes

Wow, I am offended… :smiley: No Turkish-Q keyboard request?
I would have assumed some one would have already requested it but no-one has…

I am waiting patiently to order the 16" version with the Turkish Q version…

1 Like