[RESPONDED] Can't consistantly use internet through ethernet cable

Hello,
I have a new FW16 with Linux Mint and Ubuntu installed. The BIOS is updated.
When I connect the FW16 to the internet via an Ethernet cable it has trouble loading many sites (It shows that it is connected to the internet, and it even loads a few sites and downloads some things, but mostly it just shows a loading circle for forever). When I connected to the internet from several other computers I didn’t have any problem, and when I used the FW16 to connect to the neighbors WiFi I didn’t have any trouble, but connecting the FW16 to the internet via the Ethernet cable is causing trouble. (I am using an Ethernet cable input module that I got with the computer). I would really appreciate some help.
Thanks!

1 Like

Try disabling wifi when on ethernet. The wifi and ethernet expansion each get assigned their own ip address so it might be confusing the network. Then try running sudo resolvectl flush-caches to reset the dns cache.

1 Like

Thank you for your suggestion. I tried it. When I ran Ubuntu, it helped me load pages in Firefox that wouldn’t load before & also connecting to Skype (they load in other computers, or when I connect to WiFi). However, When I tried searching in the App Store it gave me a “SnapdException(kind: network-timeout)” error several times. I am not sure what to do.
Also, when I tried it while running Mint it didn’t help at all.
Any ideas? (also, now that I reset the dns cache, can I have the wifi on while the ethernet is connected?)
Thanks for your help!

In my experience, I would just stick with one or the other while you get everything stable. It will be one less thing to trip you up if it is causing you issues. Once everything is working in both os, then give it a go. I am doing exactly what you are trying on debian bookworm, so it is possible.

Can you update packages in the terminal, or does it give network errors too?

On mint try disable wifi, plug in your ethernet cable and reboot. If that doesn’t work then something is oddly odd.

So I tried and here is a summary of the results:

With Ubuntu:
When I tried installing from the app store (using the ethernet) I got the following error:
Cannot query the store for updates: got unexpected HTTP status code 408 via POST to “https://apl.snapcraft.lo/v2/snaps/refresh”

In addition, There sere some sites that don’t load on ethernet but do on wifi. Clearing the cache again didn’t help.
Downloading through the terminal I got “errror: unable to contact snap store”

I was able to install from the app store using wifi.
I was also able to install from the terminal using wifi.

I am using the ethernet expansion card slot 5. I don’t know if the slot should make a difference, so I tried moving it to slot 4. it didn’t help.

Because of the trouble on Ubuntu I decided to try on mint before I got back to you, so as not to waste your time.
On mint: I tried, it didn’t help. Something definitely is oddly odd

Any ideas? I am very stuck.

I have a FW16 diy build ordered and expect it sometime in the next week or so. I main Linux Mint so I’ll definitely be giving it a shot. I’ll also test on Ubuntu, Pop!OS, and Debian to see rule out issues.
On Mint have you tried switching the kernel to a newer one? I’m on Kernel 6.8 on my current laptop and have had some random Wifi issues, but mostly use it on a usb-c dock with ethernet with no issues.

Thanks! Please tell me what you find.
Regarding kernels, I am using Ubuntu 24.04 LTS, and Mint Cinnamon Edge, so the kernel shouldn’t be the problem.
I look forward to hearing how it works out for you :slight_smile:

Glad someone else can give some insight. I’m running out of ideas!! Slot shouldn’t matter, but glad you ruled out a bad port. Mine is in slot 3 if you really want to make everything identical.

I started out on ubuntu and the expansion worked right out of the box, no fiddling required. Strange that it is just the store giving you issues.

Some commands to help you troubleshoot mint:
Is the ethernet card detected when running lshw -class network should see two entries one for wifi card and one for the expansion?

Is the card getting assigned an ip address from the router?
Check to see by running ip address
If you have the wifi enabled you should see your two ip addresses here.

Is your wifi coming from the same router as your ethernet cable?

Hi @Y_S_Stiebel ,

Maybe this has something to do with DNS, perhaps try again with your ethernet expansion card with ubuntu 24.04 Live, and let’s try to ping those websites that does not load.

@Colt : Just to clarify, it is not just the app store, but also many sites, that cause trouble. Don’t know why some sites and not others, but the problem isn’t with the sites, because I can get to them from other computers.
I tried what you suggested for mint: sudo lshw -class network showed me 2 entries like you said it should, but when I ran ip address (I was connected to the ethernet and the wifi then) it gave me something very strange, which I don’t understand:

The wifi is from a different source than the ethernet, however all the other computers in the house (all of them use windows, I don’t know if that might make a difference?) connect to it without a problem.

@Loell_Framework Thanks for your suggestion. I have a slight problem with it, and that is that I don’t know what ubuntu 24.04 Live is, and I don’t know how to ping websites. I would be happy to learn.

Thank you all for helping me try to solve this!

Some possible causes:

1. systemd resolved tends to cause problems like this. I just disable systemd resolved and it seems to help. For detailed instructions please google search for “disabling systemd-resolved”

I haven’t looked up systemd-resolved yet (will do soon), but I did find out something that might be relevant, though I don’t know what to do with it. When I ran speedtest.net on the FW16, I got 0.00 upload (download was ok). This didn’t happen on any of the other 3 computers I tried that were connected to the same network. Any ideas what might cause upload to be 0.00?

I also tried changing my DNS, but that didn’t help.

I have been getting similar behavior on my laptop (running nixos 24.05/24.11). sometimes with errors like these showing up in journalctl:

ucsi_acpi USBC000:00: GET_CABLE_PROPERTY failed (-5)
ucsi_acpi USBC000:00: unknown error 0
ucsi_acpi USBC000:00: ucsi_handle_connector_change: ACK failed (-110)

It’s inconsistent though. Sometimes I wonder if I’m physically moving around in such a way that the cable or the module are getting unseated and reseated quickly. But when I try to test that it doesn’t seem to be the case. It feels like “usb wonkiness” more than anything else

I got my FW16 set up with Linux Mint 21.3 (not Edge) Kernel 6.5 and It’s working fine with the ethernet adapter in slot 3 and through dock ethernet. I have something else in all the slots on the right at the moment (4-6), but maybe try it in slot 3 or slot 6. Could just be something odd with 1-2 and 4-5.

Interesting. I checked all the ports with me, and it didn’t make a difference. But how were you able to download Linux Mint 21.3 (not Edge) with a Kernel 6.5? I understood that the regular Mint 21.3 has a 5.15 Kernel (Edge ISO Images — Linux Mint User Guide documentation )

I am also having trouble with the FW16 Ethernet Expansion Card.

Received my FW16 in May. Installed Mint 21.3. Could not get the card to connect faster than 100 Mb/s on a 2.5 Gb/s Mini-PC port or 1 Gb/s router port.
Received a replacment card from Framwork Support in June, both the original card and replacement cards were tested in all 6 expansion slots of the FW16 with the same results.
The original card and replacement card were tested in a MacBookPro usb-c (thunderbolt) port, and connected at 2.5 Gb/s and 1 Gb/s. Autonegotiated at the correct speeds.

These test was run with 25 feet of cat-6 cable.
The results are the same for Ubuntu 24.04 LTS iso usb, Fedora 40 Workstation iso usb, installed Mint 21.3 and installed Mint 22.
I reformatted both drives in the FW16 and installed Mint 22 on one drive, and Ubuntu 24.04 LTS on the second drive.

Installing Mint 22, I was hoping to get a new Realtek r8152 driver for the network interface.

The dual boot system allows me to set the display text size and have all of the network troubleshooting tools, without installing them when the live isos are used.
I can run the distro I like, and troubleshoot on the supported distro Ubuntu 24.04 LTS

Ran speedtest.net on all distros, could not get the ethernet card to connect faster than 100 Mb/s. The ethtool command was able to set the card to 10 Mb/s and return it to 100 Mb/s.
When I tried to set the card 1 Gb/s, the ethtool command showed it was set at speed 1000. As soon as network service was restarted the card connected at 10 Mb/s.

In terminal window, on all distros, ran this command.

sudo ethtool -s “My wired network adapter” speed 1000 duplex full autoneg off

Network service stops. Can get the network service started with this command.

sudo ethtool -s “My wired network adapter” speed 100 duplex full autoneg on

The changes made with ethtool are not present after a reboot.

Ran these commands so these changes would be present after reboot.

nmcli connection down “My wired network adapter”
nmcli connection modify “My wired network adapter” 802-3-ethernet.auto-negotiate no 802-3-ethernet.speed 1000 802-3-ethernet.duplex full
nmcli connection up “My wired network adapter”

This is what happened.

nmcli connection show
nmcli connection modify netplan-enx9cbf0d006344 802-3-ethernet.auto-negotiate no 802-3-ethernet.speed 1000 802-3-ethernet.duplex full
nmcli connection up netplan-enx9cbf0d006344

Error: Connection activation failed: No suitable device found for this connection (device enx9cbf0d006344 not available because device has no carrier).
nmcli connection up enx9cbf0d006344
Error: unknown connection ‘enx9cbf0d006344’.
All network service stopped.

The ethernet adapter has two different names depending on which tool I use to check the name.

netplan-enx9cbf0d006344
enx9cbf0d006344

If I try to access the card with the GUI, Settings - Network I can see the card trying to start at 100 Mb/s.
Here is the output of dmesg. The ethernet adapter is attempting to start every few seconds.

sudo dmesg | grep -i r8152 | tail -n 10
[ 5639.619618] r8152 6-1:1.0 enx9cbf0d006344: carrier on
[ 5639.875701] r8152 6-1:1.0 enx9cbf0d006344: carrier off
[ 5660.099716] r8152 6-1:1.0 enx9cbf0d006344: carrier on
[ 5660.355396] r8152 6-1:1.0 enx9cbf0d006344: carrier off
[ 5680.579750] r8152 6-1:1.0 enx9cbf0d006344: carrier on
[ 5680.835693] r8152 6-1:1.0 enx9cbf0d006344: carrier off
[ 5701.058890] r8152 6-1:1.0 enx9cbf0d006344: carrier on
[ 5701.316536] r8152 6-1:1.0 enx9cbf0d006344: carrier off
[ 5721.540170] r8152 6-1:1.0 enx9cbf0d006344: carrier on
[ 5721.796397] r8152 6-1:1.0 enx9cbf0d006344: carrier off