[RESPONDED] Ubuntu and Windows screen glitch

I do so swear

In the body of your post, please include those following details.

• Which OS (Operating System)?
    Mostly Ubuntu 22.04 but have similiarish issues on Windows 10.
  • Which release of your OS (Operating System)?
    Linux jahannam 5.19.0-41-generic #42~22.04.1-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Tue Apr 18 17:40:00 UTC 2 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
  • Framework laptop (11th or 12th generation Framework laptop) are you asking for support with?
    12th gen i7
  • If this is a Linux issue, please use the Linux tag or at least put Linux in the title.
    Wilco Linux

Alright I have an issue that has had me scratching my head for weeks.

Here are the quick notes moar details below.

• Checked nvme firmware
  • Checked bios updates
  • Searched forums
  • Checked cables and reseated
  • Tried on different nvme drive
  • Tested on fresh install of Ubuntu and shudder installed Windows 10
  • Ran a memtest86+ cycle

I’ve been having irregular screen glitches at the top of my monitor. Like so:

Please excuse the out of focus nature I had a hard time capturing the problem. The issue seems to show up slightly less on Windows and the bar is larger but I have not been using it as long so my data set is smaller. I do not have a picture of the issue on Windows as it comes and goes much faster than Linux.

As part of my troubleshooting I’ve run a cycle of memtest86+ and came up clean. Taken the computer apart and checked the display driver board and the display connection and reseated both ends.

My original drive was a WD Black SN850 so I checked the firmware and it was on the latest version but I switched drives to a Samsung to remove that as a possible issue.

I have reinstalled Ubuntu 22.04 multiple times now on separate drives and still experience the issue. I also have ensured I have the latest kernel Ubuntu is pushing to avoid 5.19.2.

I have seen this thread but it seems different enough I opened a new one.

Other than buying known good screen and motherboard I’m not sure what other steps to take at this time.

Looking forward to hearing from you all and thanks for taking the time to look!

P.S. I’ll add a uname into the post once I switch back to Linux for the full kernel version.

Appreciate your effort in providing all the needed info, really, I do appreciate it - saves me countless keystrokes. :slight_smile:

You indicated you were seeing this issue (the screen glitch shown in the image) on both Ubuntu and Windows, is this correct?

If the screen issue is on Ubuntu only, we have a few things we can try right now assuming this only affected Ubuntu.

All of that said, you indicated this was affecting both Windows and Ubuntu - if this is the case, you may need to open a support ticket.

Glad to have made the process quicker. Read How to ask smart questions years ago and try to live up to the ethos.

Yes I do see the issue in both Ubuntu and Windows.

I will try those steps and if I can still see the issue I’ll go ahead and open a support ticket.

Thank you for the help!

2 Likes

Anytime! Thanks for the update. :slight_smile: