September/Batch 3 Thread

I feel for those waiting on their Framework. All I can say is it’ll be worth the wait, don’t let FedEx taint your experience. I’ve got Windows 11, Ubuntu, and Fedora all existing happily on my laptop and love it. :slight_smile:

My recent ire was UPS (FedEx has always been great for me), who kept changing the status from “on its way” to “out for delivery” and back again, after two weeks of waiting for my Yoga Tab 13 (which is now my Framework’s external monitor, among other things).

Good things come to those who wait?

3 Likes

If you could kindly post the process you went through making this happen, myself and I’m sure a bunch of others would be greatly appreciative. Especially since setting up Linux can be like a wild boar out of the gate.

Hey batch 3 folks, anybody else in the Portland area still waiting on their laptop? Mine is over 7 days late now and fedex still just says “in transit” after having gotten to Portland 5 days ago. Not sure what to do, honestly.

FedEx finally unshat themselves. Laptop works like a charm so far.

5 Likes

Local customs most likely still has mine. I’m slowly going bananas!

@pyguydev Unfortunately my process is somewhat scattershot and I installed/reinstalled multiple times. Probably more appropriate for another thread, but in a nutshell:

1. Installed Windows 11 on cleanly formatted SSD.
  2. in Windows Disk Manager, shrank my windows partition to allow enough free space for additional OS’s. I had free space showing before (to the left of) and after (to the right of) my Windows partition. I think this helped for installing the third OS (and it was unintentional).
  3. Rebooted to an Ubuntu 21.04 USB and installed alongside the existing OS - Windows (I forget the option, but it’s similarly worded). Did subsequent reboot to test the installation.
  4. Rebooted to Fedora 35 (beta) USB and chose “custom” when prompted with location to install. I then selected whatever free space was available.

As I suggested though, scattershot. I’d have to do the reinstall to get the exact details (and I’m not counting on lightning striking twice). I think my choice of OS’s worked in my favour too.

Hope this helps. Happy to discuss more in another topic.

1 Like

@Caleb_Hicks I’m also in Portland and yeah, mine was estimated to arrive two weeks ago. It’s just been stuck “in transit” and the tracking page is no longer updating day-to-day. I contacted FedEx and Framework support, not sure what else to do…

1 Like

@Caleb_Hicks same here. Last update was on Sunday still saying it was in transit. Up to day 10 passed the initial delivery date. I put in a request for help from support to see if they could change the shipping details to allow me to just pick it up from the sorting location but was informed that the portland area fedex is experiencing a massive staffing shortage so that could cause even more delays. Guess we just have to keep waiting.

1 Like

Yep - did that a few weeks ago. Even went on a little hunt to try to track it down once it was in the area, but once I figured out it was Troutdale I gave up. Showed up on a Sunday though…

2 Likes

Finally received my i7 1185 DIY barebones FW yesterday after 2 weeks of travel from NJ to my APO in Europe. I set it all up with Windows 11 just to test everything out before wiping it and installing Linux and I am blown away by the quality and performance of this laptop! Kudos to frame.work, I’m so glad to be an early adopter and a part of this community. Now we all need to ensure the survival of this company and make it the benchmark for future endeavors!

5 Likes

IMG_20211014_103044
Finally Received my i5 this morning after 2.5 weeks in Trini customs.

Ordered: Jul 28, 2021
Shipped: Sept 28, 2021
Received: Oct 14, 2021

6 Likes

Alright, it’s all up and running. In case anyone is wondering, this magnetic type-c adapter is charging the laptop.

6 Likes

Is anyone in Portland still waiting on their laptop? Just got word back my laptop was officially “lost”…

3 Likes

Aw man that’s sad to hear, any compensation I hope so!

2 Likes

That’s heartbreaking. Who informed you?

@Shawn_Lewis
I called Fedex and that’s what they informed me. It’s probably not lost lost, it’s just stuck in purgatory somewhere.

Thankfully Framework support is top tier. They were tracking it independently from me and when they noticed no movement on it for multiple days they went ahead and processed a new order for me and are expediting it out. It’s a bummer to have to deal with but at least support is on top of it.

6 Likes

@Msninstantmessenger , What if the lost one shows up someday? Would you return it to Frame.work so they can bless someone else with it, pay the difference or other?

@Shawn_Lewis That was the plan. Fedex somehow was able to pull the laptop out of the ether and deliver it to me today! Otherwise I would have shipped the other unit back. Thankfully it hadn’t gone out yet.

3 Likes

Update: My Framework DIY Edition showed up today, three weeks late! I’m in the Portland area FWIW so message to fellow Portlanders: be patient! FedEx in Troutdale and Portland is very delayed due to the world being kinda upside down rn :upside_down_face:

Initial review of the laptop: it’s awesome! I immediately installed Arch on it and only ran into one issue with Bluetooth which I could fix with a kernel downgrade (I don’t depend on bluetooth so I’m fine just waiting for a fix in the mainline kernel). I’m amazed at the quality of this device, especially for a first-gen product that also happens to be completely repairable and upgradable. Excellent performance, and spectacular fit and finish. Just perfect for all of my software development, music production and digital art needs. This was totally worth the additional wait :blush:

As an aside, Framework Support deserves so much props. I would encourage anyone who needs help with their order to reach out to them, they have been incredibly helpful in my personal experience.

~May

4 Likes